Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cautionary tale for ski tube users

Poster: A snowHead
I have one of those ski tubes with wheels. Like it a lot as it makes it much easier to lug heavy skis around the large airport expanses. However, on my last trip as I was at Zurich airport going up an escalator heading for the train having just landed some people starting shouting at me and pointing at the tube I was dragging. Turning round I saw that the two halves of the tube were slowly coming apart, only held together by the friction of the outer on the inner. A moment later and they would have been completely separated and my skis would have been descending the escalator at speed, with me left holding the empty end. It seems that the tube must have been opened for security checks in transit and whoever did it failed to properly locate the safety clip back in place (i.e. connecting the outer and inner halves together) - it was there but only attached to one of the tubes. Moral of the story: inspect carefully when collecting the tube off the baggage carousel.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DCG wrote:
I have one of those ski tubes with wheels. Like it a lot as it makes it much easier to lug heavy skis around the large airport expanses. However, on my last trip as I was at Zurich airport going up an escalator heading for the train having just landed some people starting shouting at me and pointing at the tube I was dragging. Turning round I saw that the two halves of the tube were slowly coming apart, only held together by the friction of the outer on the inner. A moment later and they would have been completely separated and my skis would have been descending the escalator at speed, with me left holding the empty end. It seems that the tube must have been opened for security checks in transit and whoever did it failed to properly locate the safety clip back in place (i.e. connecting the outer and inner halves together) - it was there but only attached to one of the tubes. Moral of the story: inspect carefully when collecting the tube off the baggage carousel.

I went to pick up the double sporttube from a baggage carousel and security had obviously opened the tube but was unable to put it back together properly. I ended up selling it as although I do think they protect skis well it seems some people can't seem to figure out how to put them back together.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@o11y, My problem was that it was not initially obvious that the tube had been opened. I will look more closely in future.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@DCG, Some years back when I was returning from the US I found that my ski tube at the baggage reclaim back in the UK was starting to separate into the two halves. It turned out that US security had snipped the original (US made) ski tube padlock to inspect the contents (fair enough I suppose although surprised that as it was a US made padlock they didn't have master keys) but what irked me was that when they put the two halves together again they hadn't secured them with a nylon tie strap through the holes, which would have been easy to do. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Alastair Pink, I don't use a padlock, just the clip that is supplied with the tube. It is now possible, though, to get TSA compliant padlocks which they can open with a master key.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@DCG, Yes, I've now got some TSA compliant padlocks. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I can’t think of much that would be more lethal than half a hard plastic ski tube flying down an escalator, with skis and poles poking out!

They are quite tricky sometimes to get the holes in the runner for the inside and outside parts lined up and get a padlock or whatever through.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Themasterpiece wrote:
I can’t think of much that would be more lethal than half a hard plastic ski tube flying down an escalator, with skis and poles poking out!

The only saving grace was that the skis and poles were on the up side so it would be just the weight of them and the hard plastic that would have hit someone. That would still have done some damage!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I work in airports and have seen too many people have accidents trying to take luggage on escalators. The signs that say please use the lifts if you have luggage are there for a reason.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@pandora, good point, well made.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pandora wrote:
I work in airports and have seen too many people have accidents trying to take luggage on escalators. The signs that say please use the lifts if you have luggage are there for a reason.

Whereabouts in Zurich airport are those signs? Haven't seen them.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pandora wrote:

No signs in Geneva Airport, where the baggage trolleys are designed to be taken on the escalators. You don't even have to hold them on the ride - though it feels like a leap of faith to let go of the brake the first time you try it! Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bergmeister, I think you are thinking of a different kind of escalator to the one i’m thinking of. I’ve got a picture of a moving staircase in mind. You definitely shouldn’t have a trolley on one of those.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pandora, see:
http://youtube.com/v/dIVvYekG2nQ
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pandora wrote:
Bergmeister, I think you are thinking of a different kind of escalator to the one i’m thinking of. I’ve got a picture of a moving staircase in mind. You definitely shouldn’t have a trolley on one of those.

There are escalators that have special trolleys to go on them...I hate them
snow conditions
Ta for the video Alastair - looks exactly like the 'moving staircase' that pandora was fearing.....and that Bergmeister and I love Laughing
snow report
@pandora, I think the trolleys are designed specifically to go on them. A bit un-nerving first time you use them, but they have special locking mechanisms to keep them safe. I'm surprised that you were not aware of them , given that you work in airports.
snow conditions
Well, whaddya know? I’ve never seen those, in spite of having worked in over 100 airports over the last 20 years. If you google YouTube escalator bag accidents there are plenty on bags falling down escalators but they seem to cause such horrible accidents that I didn’t think it polite to post such clips here. Only last year I had to press the emergency stop button at Gatwick when an elderly passenger let go of her wheelie bag and then somehow managed to get herself (in a sari) stuck underneath it.

As crew we generally tend to make a beeline for lifts because they aren’t the obvious route and we know where they are and how to get to them quickly, fewer passengers opt for them. Perhaps that’s why I have been deprived of the knowledge of trolleys that are supposed to go on escalators. I still think they are a bad idea.
ski holidays
@pandora, In the last year I have pressed the emergency stop twice...no luggage but people either arsing about or drunk and falling down. Perfectly happy taking a bag on an escalator but not one of those trolleys
snow report
Why bother with a padlock ? I use a pull tie - it's secure, and you know immediately if there has been interference. A couple of spares in the pocket deal with any issues.
snow conditions
Have used a ski tube for maybe 30 plus trips - it has never (as far as I am aware) been opened. Good luck to them if they do try to open it - my skis are a jam fit and I usually have to get someone to help pull the halves apart Toofy Grin
latest report
Caspar wrote:
Have used a ski tube for maybe 30 plus trips - it has never (as far as I am aware) been opened. Good luck to them if they do try to open it - my skis are a jam fit and I usually have to get someone to help pull the halves apart Toofy Grin

I guess if they need to open it then, your bag won’t make the flight...
ski holidays
Anyone know where you can buy a sportube padlock for less than £21 Amazon want. My double tube arrived to LHR minus the padlock!
snow report
@Snowsartre, Won't a standard TSA padlock do the job? https://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Asaklitt-TSA-Padlock/40-7470-1?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_9_qt-DY3wIV7bztCh2FDwKzEAQYAiABEgKLevD_BwE
latest report
Anyone know where you can buy a sportube padlock for less than £21 Amazon want. My double tube arrived to LHR minus the padlock!
snow report
A bag of cable ties and nail clippers would be a lot cheaper!
snow conditions
@Alastair Pink, the attraction was the fact that the North American’s are able to open it without cutting through the cable. I am off to Canada in ten days and did not want any hassles. If that has not been your experience then I shall gladly purchase a cheaper lock!
snow report
Snowsartre wrote:
@Alastair Pink, the attraction was the fact that the North American’s are able to open it without cutting through the cable. I am off to Canada in ten days and did not want any hassles. If that has not been your experience then I shall gladly purchase a cheaper lock!

Well it happened about 3 years back flying back from Denver. The Sportube (which is the name of the ski tube I have) is actually manufactured in Colorado and had the original silver padlock supplied with it, but for whatever reason the Denver security people had removed it (maybe as it was quite a few years old it was pre TSA specification).

I'm not sure if Canada adopt the same approach or use US TSA specification master keys anyway.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy