Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help me ski with my 5yo

Poster: A snowHead
After a few years off piste (and not in a good way) bar occasional days, I'd like to take my 5yo for a week of skiing in April, probably early on as I reeeeally want to go asap. He has had a couple of lessons only, so is basically a complete beginner (though last time he said he wanted to go fast and just pointed his skis straight down the mountain, so is pretty fearless). I am intermediate. I'd like to ski as much as possible, but also spend some quality time together, get to build snowmen etc, rather than have him in a kids club all day.

As it will just be the two of us, I am going to be effectively housebound once he goes to bed, so don't need there to be evening entertainment, though others to talk to wouldn't be unwelcome!

What is realistic to expect of him in terms of skiing? The ski school last time suggested short lessons, but after a hot chocolate he was very happy to pootle around with me. Are morning and afternoon lessons and a bit of gentle skiing doable? Or could we get a teacher we could both be with? He is pretty fit and active generally, and quite determined.

Club Med all inclusive is tempting, but it is more than I really want to spend. (Unless they have last minute sales?)

We are in London, so flying from Gatwick would be ideal.

Can anyone recommend anywhere? Many thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
took my 5 year old to santa caterina, the ski school was great, only did the morning, so i had a lesson as well, picked him up at 12 ...did lunch then messed around rest of day together... not sure if any TO's go there now though.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's what I'd recommend too - ski school in the morning for him. Lunch together then mess around in the afternoons.

For me - distance from the apartment/hotel to the ski school meeting point (or main lift) is a really important factor when taking young kids. To minimize the amount of time spent struggling carrying gear - and to make it easy to pop back to the apartment/hotel for forgotten gear (or a rest).

We started our kids in Flaine for this (and other) reasons.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd put him in ski school for the morning only, as @yorkshirelad suggests. They will stop him pointing straight down and whizzing - it can take an instructor to get them to snowplough, and until they're snowploughing effectively skiing with them is dangerous and frustrating. Beginner kids allowed to ski out of control are an absolute menace! A catered chalet would be ideal for you - people to talk to in the evenings. Depending on timing, there will be comparatively few resorts with reliable snow cover in April - earlier in the month best.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
5 is an ideal age to learn. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You might find he's had enough by lunch time - do some toboganning, playing in the snow, etc.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mimi, After 3 kids and 8 holidays with Ski Esprit they always served us well back in the day. Lots of Ski/Snow club options and (without presuming) I seem to recall they do "Single" parent deals in some places too. Not the cheaper end of the market I know. I'd also recommend a town or valley base rather than being stuck in an apartment in Arc 1800 for example. Anywhere with Ice Skating, Swimming Pool and Pizza Restaurants usually works.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Agree with others mornings only at that age and then a good lunch and either play in the snow / other outdoor activities or board games/DVD at the accommodation. Some places have indoor pools which might be a nice option? Mornign lessons I'd caution against lessons together, as he really needs the other children and the discipline to learn correctly. If you are about it is easy to appeal to you, while in ski school he learns from his peers as well. Good luck. By the way while close to the slopes is great, I had twins in ski school for years and used the ski buses, it is doable. Funnily enough now they are out of ski school, we sometimes hire a locker wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another +1 for Esprit, especially just the two of you, the extra support you get from the staff will make a world of difference.

They maintain low teacher to pupil ratios (6:1) on lessons in addition for the beginners they send a “snow ranger” with the children who assist with the lessons. The children are skiing with the same children they get to play with in the hotel so they have a great time.

On evevnigs you have a baby listening service which lets the children go to sleep at their normal time while you go down and have food and drink Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A valley base not ideal in April. Somewhere up near the slopes is ideal if you have a few people to talk to in the evenings. Esprit sounds ideal if you can afford it!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Mimi, the format of my ski trips whilst both my boys were learning - started at 4 and 4.5 - went pretty much like this........ Booked late, for late in the season, with an operator like Esprit, for 1 adult, 1 child occupancy - obviously dependant on whether they had the right availability in their ski school program. I also used to check with operators on the demographic of the chalet to ensure the kids had a mate. Children went to ski school in the mornings, and I would pick them up around 14:00 after lunch which gave me a solid 3-4 hours. We would then go back out, and sometimes, literally, do one run so they could show me what they had learnt. Generally by then, they're done for the day and it was back to the chalet for general snow related fun - snowmen, snowball fight, sledging, or swimming where possible. Esprit do 'high tea' for the kids, then it was wash and bed early ( my 2 used to get soooo tired ) leaving me to enjoy dinner, wine, etc. Go for it, it's not easy, but overall, some of the best times I have ever had with the kids, although I have created a very expensive problem for myself now they are 15 and 12 LOL !
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Put him in morning lessons - he'll progress much more with an instructor and following his peers (other kids). Have a lunch with him, then go with him for an hour (or however longer he wants) in the afternoon and get him to show you what he learnt in his morning lessons. At the start of the week it'll be at the magic carpet, as the week progresses one of the beginners drags, and by the end maybe longer runs into resort off a telecabine.

Go with the flow, some aftenrnoons half hour/hour might be fine then go bum board, or build snowmen etc, later in the week as he progresses and if he's enjoying it, you may find you can spend much of the afternoon skiing easy slopes with a hot choc break Happy

We used Family Friendly Skiing in La Tania for years when ours were young, decent family oriented catered chalets, so there'd be other kids/families to interact with in the evening and geared towards sorting the kids out first then the parents once the kids in bed.
There are several other similar operators.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
++Esprit, after 6 Esprit holiday now and they are a revelation with kids+skiing.

As adults you actually get a holiday, you get to choose your time with and without the kids (within reason).

It can be/seem brutally expensive, but is worth it. I have viewed it a little like cigarettes our first few were cheap last min deals, when we had 1 kid / not tided to schools, now we are hooked they have us and we are happy to pay for the experience.

If its just the 2 of you, your not fussy on resort and you can avoid half term then your perfect for bagging a fantastic deal last min.
https://www.espritski.com/deals/

Every year we look and talk to the alternative guys Mark Warner, Neilson etc ... and i think they will come into play once we have 2 kids that can ski reds. Right now with a 4 and 7 year old its nice to be able to choose what we do each day. The other companies are just not quite as seemless. As someone else mentioned there are certain esprit properties that have baby listening, which is the jewel in the crown and a must if you go with them.

Best of luck and enjoy, its a fantastic thing to do as a family.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mimi, Here you go. Ski Esprit Single parent Family deals. https://www.espritski.com/deals/family-savers/single-parent-ski-holidays/

Might be worth calling to find out the details though.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@taemo, 2 more years and then you'll be done!! We did 1 of our 8 with just the wife and I. Booked very last minute (on the Thu if I recall) and ended up paying about 700 quid for a week all-in in Chamonix in the same Chalet Hotel we'd already booked for the following Christmas. Really enjoyed watching other parents deal with the Witching Hour while supping cocktails.
latest report
Add Ski Famille to the checking list. Definitely would recommend the childcare chalet route as suggested above. We did this for our two (now 7 and 9, but used Esprit etc since eldest was 1) and worked well. Kids loved it and they have a lot of fun with the other kids and nannies so you can enjoy your time away too. Many offer evening listening services so you can have your evening meal without having to check on jnr
snow conditions
Thanks for all of this. Esprit does sound great, and I have been away with Total before, which was very civilised. @Timberwolf how late are we talking to make a last minute booking? With just 2 days to go pre-departure Esprit are showing an incredible £349 for a week per adult, but not sure I'd dare to leave it that late...
snow conditions
Does it have to be April, @Mimi?
ski holidays
yorkshirelad wrote:
took my 5 year old to santa caterina, the ski school was great, only did the morning, so i had a lesson as well, picked him up at 12 ...did lunch then messed around rest of day together... not sure if any TO's go there now though.

My parents put my sister (5) and I (6) in all day ski school in Santa Caterina too! We had an absolute ball - can still remember the instructor, Joe, feeding us chocolate haha!

Just be aware it might result in them running away to the mountains when they’re older and never cming back Laughing Laughing
snow report
@pam_w Yes, we are tied by school holidays now so has to be April. Could fly out any time from 2nd evening onwards...
ski holidays
Mimi wrote:
Thanks for all of this. Esprit does sound great, and I have been away with Total before, which was very civilised. @Timberwolf how late are we talking to make a last minute booking? With just 2 days to go pre-departure Esprit are showing an incredible £349 for a week per adult, but not sure I'd dare to leave it that late...

Well, that's the gamble isn't it ? I guess it depends on what you consider to be a good deal ? If you're happy at a certain price point - then book it, as you have secured a deal that you're happy with Madeye-Smiley As I mentioned, the key consideration is whether they have the correct availability in the ski school program, and I assume that when this is an issue, that is the point at which their prices tumble, so beware. I don't think you can get these details until you talk to them.
ski holidays
@Mimi, One other thing. Lift Passes. Ski Esprit don't include them in their prices and it might just be worth looking at late season offers on passes. In Ski Amade (Austria) kids ski free after 16 March 19 regardless of age. You will find other resorts do free passes for 5 year olds but check against dates of birth.
ski holidays
Quote:

we are tied by school holidays now

have a close look at the very specific rules about term time holidays for your LEA. If your son has a good attendance record you might well find there is some leeway. Also talk to the school - and even if in the final analysis you get fined (most people don't) you could still be much better off - and find quieter pistes. He's not doing his A levels, after all. wink
latest report
You could almost certainty book the 30/03/19 dates without getting fined as he would only miss two days of school. The fines afaik only kick in after four days of school being missed. Do remember that the fines are generally for each parent per day after four days have been missed.
ski holidays
As @Timberwolf says its about getting off the deal train when your comfortable. I think the latest we ever left it was 3 weeks before and got a deal we were happy with. But seriously if it is just 2 of you, I think you will be easily able to leave it till the last week, if your not fussy about where. Plus by April they are usually not busy. As @panaga52 says liftpasses and hire are not included in those deal prices, but esprit are pretty good on them, they dont make on them and usually the deal with the nearest ski shop is good and have quite and easy setup with the gear to make getting you and the kids sorted easier.
Actually thinking about it, you wont need a pass for your kid. Typically the first 3 days are on the nursery slope which is generally free, especially with an instructor, if they are then good enough to go up the mountain the staff will tell you and you can buy one then. One year just brought a 2 day pass for one of ours, most other times they didnt need one, plus in a lot of resorts they are free or cheaper.

I would honestly consider not being tied by the school holidays! Toofy Grin - the experience for the little ones is really valuable.
snow conditions
Quote:

Do remember that the fines are generally for each parent per day after four days have been missed.

and do remember too that "a session" is half a day. But LEAs policies vary quite a lot - you must read the relevant guidelines. They are required to publish them.
latest report
Ours started properly at 5 or 6. We never even considered childcare as an option as we quite like them and wanted to ski/holiday with them.
We always put them into ski school for the morning, then met them for lunch and gauged how up for it they'd be for the afternoon. We'd always do at least 'a run' together and sometimes that would be enough (we stopped for hot chocolates once and they fell asleep hugging them) while sometimes they'd be up for skiing all afternoon.
There was a general trend towards them skiing more as the week progressed though and by the end of the week they were SuperKids. On the way home, we walked them once (age 8 ) across Paris and right up the Eiffel Tower, just cos there was a queue for the lift. They just chatted all the way and never once complained: amazing what 8 days at 2-3000m can do Cool
ski holidays
Since our children were 3 we have taken them away with Esprit - 6 or 7 trips - so can vouch for their service.

For the past few years, we have taken easter accommodation in the Les Arcs 2000 chalets - with two families, and 5 kids, this has meant that for the 6 room chalets and with us taking 5 rooms, there has always been a twin room going spare... Each year, Esprit have filled it with someone in your similar situation, a parent and a young child. I never asked how much they were charged, on the basis i assume it was a significant discount to fill the room and I didn't want to cause embarrassment with my tears!

Each occasion, we've had the pleasure of lovely people 'joining us'. The children have always got on like a house on fire, leaving my kids tearful on departure day, and i'd like to think the parent enjoyed the company at the dining table in an evening.

Something else to consider perhaps if you want some ready made company on your trip!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

We never even considered childcare as an option

We didn't either, but that was in part because we couldn't afford it. We did have grandmother once on an early family trip self catering in Austria.
snow report
Hi, phone esprit. They do single parent rooms for about £1000 per week (total, not per person) outwith school holidays but they're generally not advertised on their website.
snow report
you could think about Alpbach. It is low compared with the French resorts, but as the alps go north east they keep the snow pretty well, and most of the runs are broadly north facing. The ski schools concentrate on young kids, they do 10 to 12am, and 1 to 3pm, the instructor will look after them at lunch. If you get a nice B+B or small flat in the village there are several nice bars and even if you are on your own it is not intimidating to wander in, someone nice will talk to you. Very good value. Don't tell anyone.
ski holidays
Alpbach is certainly very friendly - and very pretty. It was a long time ago when I stayed there and things have no doubt changed - if going with a small child now I'd want to check that my accommodation was near the ski school meeting place. There was a nursery slope in the village but snow was too slushy to use it, and the lift to the main slopes was a bus ride away. Call me a wimp, but getting on a bus with four skis, poles and a 5 year old, both of us in ski boots, is not my idea of fun!

For me (and I've picked up a lot of small kids from ski lessons) being able to whisk them to a warm place where they can strip off their outer clothes, relax (maybe fall asleep in an armchair) and have a snack without breaking the bank, makes a big difference, especially if you don't have other adult help.
ski holidays
it has not changed much. Yes, you have to get the bus to the lifts for the ski school meeting place, but the bus can be rather sociable, takes 5 mins, and you can often bump in to people you have met the evening before. Civilised place. Agreed, I would not want a 5 y/o to wait at the bus stop today, because it is chilly, but early April will be fine.
ski holidays
@Mimi, I think Åre, Sweden would fit what you describe. Sweden is very child friendly, and conditions are good into April. Free lift pass for children under 8 years old, and cheap ski hire etc. Also good value group lessons for children, which are Mon-Fri for 1.5 hours. Then maybe he meets a friend to ski with, or you can ski together.

Easyjet fly from Gatwick to Åre-Ostersund airport. Changeover day is Sunday. Avoid week 16 (14-21 April) as that’s Swedish Easter school holiday. There is coach transfer to the ski resort.

Check out the Skistar website for accommodation, lift pass etc. I’d advise to look at Björnen area, for close access to the green runs around Björnen, but good connection to the main Åre area. Virtually all accommodation is ski-in ski-out. There is good value self-catering accommodation, so you can sit and watch a bit of TV or whatever after your son goes to bed.

I’d be happy to help if you PM me.
snow report
Ski Famille or Ski Esprit at short notice and put your child in ski school for half a day where they'll hone their skiing skills and have other kids to play with. Then you can ski with them for the other half of the day, cruising slowly from one hot chocolate to another! In an evening there would be other civilised conversation for you with other adult guests allowing you to conserve your energy for the constant conversation about Pokemon/Minecraft/etc you'll be subjected to through the day. While I am sure Are would be lovely I think my mental health would be in a critical condition after a week in self catering with only one of my kids at 5 years old for company! At 5 years old both of mine were capable of most blue runs and some reds, not at any great speed but certainly at a pace we could all enjoy.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy