Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chile - August!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Super excited - Just booked flights to ski in the Andes in August! Any tips and advice welcome please....looking to do it as cheaply as possible ha (If that's even possible). Currently scoping out La Parva and Valle Nevado Puzzled . Also potentially looking for some cool, sociable people to tag along.... Razz

Mixed abilities, mixed ages and high levels of fun!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Accomodation is limited in VN but not expensive, I stayed in the central one (maybe only one) I will check
Also try portillo, only one hotel but worth it, I think the resort is only open to the guests, European race team use this for summer training
If you have never been before the altitude can be a nightmare, I got nose bleeds for the first two nights and my pal suffered worse, but funny we were ok while skiing
It has been 10 years since I went though, good luck Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I didn't think the altitude was that bad....not mentioned on any reviews. Thanks for the heads up....

Have you got a name for the central accommodation?

What's so good about Portillo?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
How can one mention Portillo and
not mention this ? Laughing
But I digress.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Wes_Becks, yep, VN base is 3.5Km above sea level, I had altitude sickness for 3 nights.

What dates are you in Chile?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
15th-25th August. Short but hopefully sweet.

Any suggestions on how to limit the sickness or prevent? Guess you don't know how your body will cope till you get there....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dbeatski wrote:
@Wes_Becks, yep, VN base is 3.5Km above sea level, I had altitude sickness for 3 nights.

More like 2900m, IIR Puzzled

https://vallenevado.com/en/mountain/trail-map/

I actually stayed in Santiago (so no altitude problems) at the La Casa Roja (http://lacasaroja.cl/wp/en/), and booked my skiing in Valle Nevado through their Tourist Info desk (they also have a cricket net in the gardens!).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Any suggestions on how to limit the sickness or prevent?

Taking diamox (acetazolamide) can decrease risk. The best prevention is to aclimatise gradually. Generally people don't get altitude sickness below 3000m (so you are right on the edge of it). However, you are likely to feel the effects of altitude (e.g. shortness of breath).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi again, I stayed at Valle nevado hotel, it's a big complex, functional but good
Portillo hotel is amazing, like stepping back into the 1920's, the ski area does not look extensive but there is a lot of easy accessibility off piste
Johnor
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy