Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Le Chable to Verbier bus? Best Verbier transport method?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

I'm going to Verbier this weekend and wondering about the cheapest/best way to get there from geneva airport - looking at other posts on this board it seems the train is the more popular option and is slightly cheaper. Is that still the general consensus?

Also if i get a ticket to Le Chable does that include the bus up the Hill? Every time I put in Verbier TV as the destination it reverts to le chable. Want to make sure I can get up the hill on the same ticket.

Any info/advice would be much appreciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We always use the train but have the half fare card which makes the economics a no brainer.

A ticket to Le Chable will not get you to Verbier, it's no problem buying a ticket when you board the bus. The cable car runs until 1930 and if you have a lift ticket for over 3 days it starts working at 1500 the preceding afternoon.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you book the train ticket from GVA to Le Chable in advance, it's 10% cheaper than rocking up. Try to land at Le Chable during gondola running hours if poss, it's pretty cheap. The train is a doddle, one change at Martigny.

Be warned, Le Chable is where 'cheap' ends. wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is it definitely more expensive at the station? From other things I've read online its the same price and I'd prefer not to book in case our flight is delayed or lands early - rather just jump on the first train out.

Mollerski wrote:

Haha, I know, staying with a friend so free accommodation and seasonnaire prices should help - still far more expensive than our original destination of bulgaria!

Thanks for all your help!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
captainslack wrote:
Is it definitely more expensive at the station? From other things I've read online its the same price and I'd prefer not to book in case our flight is delayed or lands early - rather just jump on the first train out.

Mollerski wrote:

Haha, I know, staying with a friend so free accommodation and seasonnaire prices should help - still far more expensive than our original destination of bulgaria!

Thanks for all your help!

From memory, the train fare is around 50chf, 10% being 5chf, 4 quidish, not really worth fretting over.

Is the friend working in Verbier? If so, which company? I have 3 kids working there this winter for various companies.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just FYI you exit Arrivals and turn left, then go past the UBS ATMs, through the revolving door and down the escalator to the SBB ticket office. If you're on a return, note the post below [edit:these are for the same day only, get two singles]. Unlike France, you don't have to composter (frank) the ticket.

Be aware that like any country, there are thieves on Swiss railways who target obvious foreign travellers who are loaded down with multiple bags and distracted. Just keep your passport, wallet and valuables on you. One well-tried trick is to put a similarly-coloured rucksack next to yours and then pick yours up 'by mistake'; drop their bag on the floor and then an accomplice nicks yours while you're helping; dropping a coat on your seat and then picking up your shoulder bag etc. But please don't let this warning put you off - it's is no better/worse than anywhere else.

Once you've done it once you realise how relatively relaxing it is by public transport. I much prefer the train on the return to GVA as once you've changed at Martigny, you can relax all the way until you get right into the airport. No traffic jams on the A9 or desperate searches for petrol stations or handing you car over to some nutter hire agency driverwho looks almost certain to scratch it and blame you.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 28-03-17 22:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The easiest is Alpine Express which takes 2 hrs and costs 64.50chf. That's what we recommend to guests (albeit usually with kids and luggage)

The train takes between 2h30 and 3h and you need to change in Martigny and Le Chable. It costs 57.40chf online. I think it's the same at the ticket desk. You can't buy it on the train (you'll get fined). Easiest is to download the SBB app and buy online.

Don't make the mistake of buying a return. Strangely Swiss return tickets are only valid on the day of purchase.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BobinCH wrote:

Don't make the mistake of buying a return. Strangely Swiss return tickets are only valid on the day of purchase.

We used the train a month ago. Our tickets were returns bought at GVA which we used 7 days later.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://www.sbb.ch/en/travelcards-and-tickets/tickets-for-switzerland/individual-tickets/outward-return-round-trips.html

Check the validity tab at this link. Seems it changes after the journey exceeds 115km. I'm usually doing Vevey to Geneva which is under. For Verbier looks like you are right. Still a strange system!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
BobinCH wrote:
The easiest is Alpine Express which takes 2 hrs and costs 64.50chf. That's what we recommend to guests (albeit usually with kids and luggage)

Do you still recommend these guys Bobin? 8 of us are coming on Thursday 10th Jan and our transfer company has today cancelled our transfer from GVA to Verbier . Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
croiz wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Do you still recommend these guys Bobin? 8 of us are coming on Thursday 10th Jan and our transfer company has today cancelled our transfer from GVA to Verbier . Crying or Very sad

Yes
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@BobinCH, thanks for the info.
Just returned from Verbier with the train early morning yesterday.
It only stopped for a minute or so in Martigny.
I never understood the logics of SBB.
A return ticket is exactly double the single ticket and if bought online/SBB app is indeed limited to a specific day. Why would one buy it?
When is the supersaver/saver pass useful and how to buy it? Same with the half price..
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy