Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski packing lists + unusual things to take

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

What is a voile strap?

No idea, but I take some voile curtains - so handy if the chalet curtains are skimpy and don't quite meet in the middle.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@pam w, really?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
holidayloverxx wrote:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Gum, zipties. Newish discovery - Voile straps handy for fixing just about anything.

What is a voile strap?

"Voile makes a range of snowsports gear and the Voile Strap started life as a way to bind your skis together...."

https://off.road.cc/content/review/accessories-misc/voile-strap-review-2396
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Multi USB plug and power banks.
Hario Slim, Aeropress and coffee beans.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@albob, ta...not the lightweight curtain fabric I was thinking! Although I do use a strip to tie the jib to the forstay on the boat
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I take a kodak power pack. Cost me £10 a couple of years ago. Designed for cameras but will give 4-5 charges for most phones. Recharges itself in a couple of hours.
plenty of deep heat spray and cream for stiff muscles and some cool gel for bruises
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bottle opener and corkscrew
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pam w, Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
1. Over door hooks - for some reason, self catering apartments that I've stayed in seem to lack them for hanging helmets, coats and salopettes.
2. Sandwich bags which you can stuff with snow for an instant ice pack after a gruelling day.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Kennyboyo, excellent suggestions
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
holidayloverxx wrote:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Gum, zipties. Newish discovery - Voile straps handy for fixing just about anything.

What is a voile strap?

https://www.voile.com/voile-straps.html
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
At first when I read enigma’s post about the extension lead I thought that was brilliant, then I read Ipsmc1’s post and thought higher it - bought a similar thing just now! Awesome idea folks Smile

I tend to take a pack of compeed (blister plasters) as someone in the party tends to end up with blisters from rental boots... pretty standard really.

I also always take bunger-uppers in case one gets a dose of the trots. Always have, don’t know why as I’ve not had it yet (fingers crossed Smile).

I also take a first aid kit and small tube of sun cream.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We use a google sheets file for packing. I have one for each type of holiday. Normally we’re in full board hotels for skiing with the kids so nothing too strange. We do, however, always bring a deck of Uno cards with us and we always have at least one leatherman in the car.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@marksymoo,
Quote:

I also always take bunger-uppers in case one gets a dose of the trots. Always have, don’t know why as I’ve not had it yet (fingers crossed ).

Me too, but I just 'know' that if I don't take them it'll be the one time I do need them!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For hotel stays where no kettle is provided I take a mini water heater (boils a cup of water in less than a minute) and some fruit/green tea bags. It’s a health & safety hazzard (!) and probably illegal in most countries, but it means I can sip on a hot drink calmly while ‘patiently’ waiting for my skiing partner roommate - my daughter - to get up and dressed (and put on makeup, and straighten her hair) so we can go eat breakfast rolling eyes
snow conditions
Olbas Oil: if it's really cold first thing just a wee dab on the upper lip, I find it stops my nose feeling stuffy, just make sure you wash your hands after
snow conditions
LemSip for colds/'flu and Neurophen+ for migraines and aches. LemSip is sold in a different form in some European countries but the powder doesn't seem to be available. N+ is often unobtainable without prescription because the codene turns into morphine. But the only thing that stops my migraines and its ibruprophen hits muscle strain. Just don't get addicted by taking it as a preventive too often.

If flying, some hard sweets to suck to help with sinus pain on steep ascents/descents. Astonishingly, when I asked my LGW>GVA easyJet cabin crew if they had any sweets for my sinus pain last month, they looked at me like I was deranged, and said they didn't carry anything like that on board. Not that long ago, they used to come through the cabin handing them out.

And a small monocular telescope. Got it for Christmas one year and thought it was pretty superfluous, but has been very useful on piste a number of times: often saved having to ski down to a sign, only to find it's not the right direction and spend the next 20 minutes getting back to where I was, for example. Also helped me realise the person wearing the all-black outfit downhill from me who I'm following isn't actually the group leader ....
ski holidays
We take a 4 way adaptor which also has 4 USB sockets.

But I find this damages the leads so we’ve also got a couple of these (IKEA Italy).

https://m.ikea.com/eg/en/catalog/products/art/00291891/

They plug in to the deep and the normal plug sockets so leads are either sideways or downwards. €10 each I think. I’m not keen on Amazon / Ebay versions from China - lots of reports about fires. Felt happier (perhaps wrongly) with an IKEA option.

We took a kettle, flask, hot choc and tea bags last trip.

https://www.thermosonline.co.uk/store/Thermos-Ultimate-Flask-900ml/sp_848

This flask is fab for water for tea - keeps water hot for 24h. We used a cheaper model for hot choc as we didn’t need the same temperature water. We buy lots of hot drinks but even if we use these for a round a day they’ve paid for themselves in a week.

Hand warmers

Bubble bath

SPF lip balm - 3 pack from Lidl.

Squeezy squash.

Insulated cups (Bodum)

Sports bra ☺️

Sandwich bags and peanut butter / Nutella - made the kids a couple of sandwiches each per day to eat on lifts.

We drive....
ski holidays
I've never understood the obsession with Lemsip: a suboptimal dose of paracetamol plus phenylephrine. Why not just take separate paracetamol and phenylephrine? More flexible and more effective, and can be combined with your hot drink of choice. Doesn't have the placebo factor, I suppose.

When driving, we take 4 or 5 frozen meals in a cool bag (with freezer blocks) in the roof box. All still frozen on arrival, and dinner sorted for most of the week Happy, just add rice/pasta/potatoes.
snow conditions
50+ SPF lip balm. Ear plugs, eye mask. Compeeds for blisters.@swiftoid, Imodium is a good idea. I've needed it before, but I have been to India a few times Happy

70% alcohol gel.
ski holidays
Quote:

I’m not keen on Amazon / Ebay versions from China - lots of reports about fires

I often watch bigclivedotcom on youtube - he's always dismantling chinese ebay tat, and some of the electrical stuff truly is shocking. USB chargers in particular. Some GU10 LED bulbs too (never get any with bare LEDs). So many devices that surely cost less than the shipping have aluminium mains wires not rated for the job, and UK style mains plugs/sockets that don't stand a hope in hell's chance of passing the British Standard and omit all of the safety features which are part of that standard.

Ikea electrical items are actually "pretty well designed".
snow report
Quote:

a small monocular telescope

I think we have a winner. Although I too have a packing list, and a number of the things others have mentioned are on it, I bet @LaForet is the only one with one of those. Are you allowed to do Captain Jack Sparrow-esque pirate impressions when using it?
snow conditions
kieranm wrote:
Quote:

I think we have a winner. Although I too have a packing list, and a number of the things others have mentioned are on it, I bet @LaForet is the only one with one of those. Are you allowed to do Captain Jack Sparrow-esque pirate impressions when using it?

Indeed, and perfect for perving into the apartments opposite, provided they don't close their curtains. Toofy Grin
latest report
Spinnaker repair tape for mending cuts / rips, usually at the bottom of salopettes. Black is generally ok.
It's also good for mending holes / cuts etc on all sorts of outdoor clothing.
snow conditions
Used to pack condoms - oh the memories..... long gone!

Actually paracetamol and intranasal decongestant is more effective than the Sudafed/paracetamol combo. But max seven days!

I wish the guys I share with would take enough underpants. Hate seeing x 3 on the shared radiator. When you taken 30 kilos of ski gear and clothes why skimp on the shreddies!!! Puzzled

I pack this palm sized speaker for music on holiday:
https://uk.creative.com/p/speakers/creative-muvo-2c
ski holidays
Quote:

kieranm wrote:
Quote:

Indeed, and perfect for perving into the apartments opposite, provided they don't close their curtains. Toofy Grin

@pam w, brings her own curtains to stop this.

It is truely amazing what unususal things some people take with them, especially the amount of over the counter medications (Says he who always takes loads of pain killers and brings them all back again).

Now what unusual thing do you take onto the piste with you. The rucksack carries must have some truely exotic items. When skiing in Banff one year I always had a novel stuffed into my pocket to while away the time sitting on shuttle busses, standing in bus queues etc. I've never actually whipped my kindle out on a slow lift but have definately thought about it (we'll ignore the problem of operating it with gloves on)
ski holidays
Gaviscon...

Small shovel, a bit of old carpet and a headtorch / floodlight for when you need to put your chains on, in a blizzard, at night, halfway up a hill Puzzled
snow conditions
A small battery powered night light with sensor - great in the bathroom for night time visits without having to turn lights on (and potentially wake others)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for confirming my suspicions @Andy.

Our piste bag is my day to day mini rucksack. So it has basic painkillers (so expensive in Italy compared to the UK), inhalers, hand gel, tea bags (decaf tea), a bottle of water, a big bar of chocolate, piste map, lip balm, spare gloves and a spare snood. I even managed to get my trainers in it last week. My husband carries it!
snow report
Same as others have said. The 4 gang trailing socket one we worked out a few years ago and is so helpful. Just as a tip I always type up sheets to put on top of everything in suitcases and hand luggage giving; flight no, destination address, tel no, and and date. That way if suitcase gets lost, when they open them at the airport, they can track you down. We had two go missing when we went to Oz and we were reunited the following day thanks to this.
snow report
As we drive I also take more books than are needed if all goes well but in case of a) injury or b) extreme weather there is enough to read if stuck in the apartment. if you bring back unread books no harm done.
snow report
tea towel for wiping down wet snowboards etc. before packing into the bag to take home

hip flask
snow conditions
[quote="johnE"]
Quote:

Now what unusual thing do you take onto the piste with you. The rucksack carries must have some truely exotic items.

In the kerfuffle of getting ready for the first day of one trip last year I didn’t adequately check all the different compartments of my backback. When ski-touring, it’s important to keep the weight of your pack down as much as possible, bringing only the real essentials. I think we can all agree it was probably unnecessary for me to take my Nintendo Switch up the mountain with me!
ski holidays
I also take a couple of A4 sized transparent flimsy document holders - the type used to help organise filing systems. They work really well as very thin shoe horns to ease feet into tight ski boots.
ski holidays
DCG wrote:
I also take a couple of A4 sized transparent flimsy document holders - the type used to help organise filing systems. They work really well as very thin shoe horns to ease feet into tight ski boots.
Brilliant. I shall use those when my Slippits wear out.
snow conditions
In terms of power, I 'go native' when I travel but I don't take much and keep it simple. Everything powered I pack uses a figure of 8 lead, so I bought EU and US ones. Then I got an Anker 5 port USB charger that runs off one lead.
Packs down small, charges 5 devices at once off 1 plug socket and no massive 3 pin plugs!

Something like this : https://www.anker.com/store/powerport-5/A2124112

Fold up water bottle
Sandwich bags for pockets full of haribo on the hill
Snack bars or a porridge pot for the first morning if flying in late
latest report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

kieranm wrote:
Quote:

@pam w, brings her own curtains to stop this.

Indeed, it's a fluid battlefield where one has to continually keep adapting to every given situation. Laughing
latest report
@No Style, I too can't bear to be without books, but a Kindle now solves the luggage weight problem.
snow report
loperamide, paracetamol.
snow conditions
Kennyboyo wrote:
1. Over door hooks - for some reason, self catering apartments that I've stayed in seem to lack them for hanging helmets, coats and salopettes.

+1 for that, I have a couple that live in my ski kit luggage

other things:
a sponge bag with washing up liquid, surface cleaner and scouring sponges for self catering - hate buying that stuff in resort knowing I'll hardly use any of it.
slippers for inside the chalet
for evening, one of those down jackets that pack up tiny so I can stuff it in my handbag if we don't get seats in the bar
drysure non electric boot dryer thingies
a hammam towel that does for a spare towel, dressing gown and yoga/stretching mat

and one thing I always forget - the stash of euros left over from last time
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy