Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski packing lists + unusual things to take

Poster: A snowHead
EarthWindandWater wrote:
Olbas Oil.......

+1 but for dripping on the sauna coals
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
spare bindings buckles, ladder straps and bolts - keep them in a small pouch in my pocket. I am a destroyer of snowboard bindings Very Happy and it avoids wasting a few hours trying to track down suitable spares, and having to ride down with feet duck taped to the board.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Money ...

Last thing I want to do when I land in Geneva or Zurich is to look for an ATM.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kieranm wrote:
Quote:

a small monocular telescope

I think we have a winner. Although I too have a packing list, and a number of the things others have mentioned are on it, I bet @LaForet is the only one with one of those. Are you allowed to do Captain Jack Sparrow-esque pirate impressions when using it?

I have been comprehensively prohibited from doing any more Pirate Impressions as the joke has worn quite thin with the family. Although i've found that it's quite hard to emulate Treasure Island's one-legged Long John Silver "Ooh, arrrr, Jim lad ..." with a ski attached to my foot, albeit the pole is a quite convincing crutch.

And although the monocular has elicited general amusement, rarely does a day goes by on piste without someone in the group saying "Ah, you have that telescope thingy, haven't you? Could I just borrow it for a sec ....."
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A lot which has already been mentioned slippers, parecetmal etc

New on the list since not having decent boot drying facilities on last holiday is a boot warmer/dryer. Damp boots 1st thing in morning is no fun.
Tablet with app for accessing UK tv such as BBC iPlayer, now tv etc inc headphones.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kieranm wrote:
Quote:

I think we have a winner....

+1
I sooo want one now. snowHead

Anyone recommend any sites (small not modern, but as piratey as possible)?
I'll be able to check the number skis parked outside a rifugio and estimate the crowds, well before having to ski there!

And check which piste SteveM n JK hammered down as they try to lose me again. Sad
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mrs ST always takes a kettle as she wont get out of bed without a cup of tea, so also take Yorkshire tea bags, Kenco coffee, a Spurs mug for my coffee, a multitool, spare contact lenses.

Despite a possible H&S issue every hotel in Austria we have stayed in have never questioned the kettle. Though an English couple where horrified when we mentioned the kettle and begged us not to use it, as it was against the law.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Many contributions here from posters who’d struggle with our family travel ethos..! We work on taking as little as possible. Buy and take items that are adaptable: one pair of cords (worn to travel) covers ALL possible trouser needs; one pair of waterproof “approach” shoes covers ALL possible footwear needs from travel through to smart enough for hotel dinner etc etc etc. A couple of merino wool (ie non smelly) base layer sets, and 1/4 zip mid-layers that work for skiing + ALL other situations... Anything that doesn’t get used is eliminated next time.

One cargo bag (checked - a necessary evil...) containing 4 boot bags with boots, helmets, googles and gloves. One piece of hand luggage each for everything else. iPads serve as laptops, kindles etc. iPhones as cameras, music players etc. One 6 outlet USB charger between us to keep it all juiced.

Travel light. Move fast. Sleep with one eye open... ;>
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@IanTr,
Travel lite?

Not me
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looks just about ok, assuming it’s for a family of four ;>
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just finished packing for a Europe trip for a family of 4 going as light as we can. 4 snowboards outerwear and boots in two bags = 57kg. Clothes and other stuff in two bags = 38kg, hardly any hand luggage.

Spare capacity for the inevitable shopping trip to London = 25kg. Been trying to slide some heavy things in there unnoticed to limit my exposure to financing the shopping trip
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If I'm driving by myself I find a kitchen tongs handy to pay by credit card at the toll booths! Also a long handled brush/scraper to get rid of snow if you can't get to one side of the car.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@welshskier,
Lol at the tongs.
I take exercise bands and a skipping rope.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
welshskier wrote:
If I'm driving by myself I find a kitchen tongs handy to pay by credit card at the toll booths!

And we have a new winner!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The suggestion a few posts back I'd echo about putting ID inside bags, it's not just checked luggage either.

Quite a few items get misplaced even on various journeys. I've used laminated strip with just name and mobile number on them, hole punched one end and use elastic band to secure to items like skis and boots etc inside their bags.

Went to lost property at Gatwick once as a friend had to collect a bag, they showed us a monumental amount of stuff (disparingly) that had no means of tracing back to any owner. They do look for any sort of id as it makes it easy to contact.

Another is lost or misplaced phone, how does anyone who finds it get it back to owner? Couple of times been in that situation with a found phone and even if you can get into it and ring someone then that someone's contact with the owner is usually with the phone you have in your hands. Is there a simple way to do this effectively?
snow conditions
@ski3, ICE number...comes up on thge home screen
ski holidays
A medic friend always looks for that for obvious reasons, but it doesn't cover immediate phone return if the ICE contact needs to contact the phone owner, if that makes sense.

One phone was just left in a café and the number contacted wasn't even on holiday with the phone owner, so couldn't contact them. Sometimes it'll just go round in circles.
latest report
My best tip is to have goggles gloves and a pair of ski socks in your hand luggage in case your main luggage gets delayed.

Fixing up a shower using stuff you've found elswhere in the accomodation is always good fun
latest report
Regarding returning lost phones...

I bought some of those sticky labels for labelling kids clothes.. (very sticky) and has surname and phone number printed on them. All gadgetry (radios, cameras, iPads, phones, bags, boots etc) have then been labelled. And at least, anyone who finds them can be somewhat motivated to re-unite them with us.

Of course, the phone number is MY number... so it doesn’t work if I lose my phone. But as I have a company phone, it will be replaced...likely with an upgrade Very Happy
snow report
enigma wrote:
Extension lead and an adaptor, one euro adaptor on UK plug and hey presto lots of posibilities

I just put a Euro plug onto a 4way extension. I also have 6 outlet usb charger as there’s so many things to charge nowadays.
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
welshskier wrote:
If I'm driving by myself I find a kitchen tongs handy to pay by credit card at the toll booths!

And we have a new winner!

That’s quite sensible, I still think taking a pair of curtains is the winner / loser.
snow report
Here goes with my late entry...

We've just landed at Geneva with hand luggage only (as we left all our ski kit in France on our last trip).

The bags mainly contain fruit and veg for our 18 day trip. wink

Luckily Easyjet has no weight limit as our bags weighed 19kg and 16kg..... This follows a quick price check on our last visit, after which we reckoned we could save a bit by grocery shopping in the UK (at Aldi), as opposed to Val Thorens. For example 1 kiwi in Val T costs €0.70. At Aldi it's 10p... Most other items are half price, or less, in the UK.

So here we are, 36 (ripen at home) kiwis later, together with oranges, bananas, apples, grapes, tomatoes, umpteen cereal bars, mixed nuts and a few packets of crispy type cracker snacks.

The end result was a saving of over £40, which we can dine out with (once we've eaten all that grub! Very Happy )

The security officer who scanned our bags at the airport did mutter, "They sell food abroad y'know..." Never mind. We are happy to put up with a bit of sarcasm for a free meal out. Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

The security officer who scanned our bags at the airport did mutter, "They sell food abroad y'know..."

He's correct.

However, I did take onions withme on my last trip (no, not hung around my neck on a sting with a berry on top and a bicycle below) cos I find the onions from the SuperU seem to rot very quickly. Parsnips and spouts are quite difficult to find in france as well.
snow conditions
AL9000 wrote:
kieranm wrote:
Quote:

I think we have a winner....

+1
I sooo want one now. snowHead

Anyone recommend any sites (small not modern, but as piratey as possible)?
I'll be able to check the number skis parked outside a rifugio and estimate the crowds, well before having to ski there!

And check which piste SteveM n JK hammered down as they try to lose me again. Sad

eBay and search for "antique telescope". Price will soon tell you actual antiques from "antique" ones.
snow report
hawkesbaynz wrote:
Used to pack condoms

Geez, what mountain situation calls for a pack of used condoms!?!?

Was the question that came in to my mind on initial miss-read Smile
ski holidays
Quote:

Geez, what mountain situation calls for a pack of used condoms!?!?

Often very difficult to find gelatin in resort supermarkets when making home made jelly, useful to have alternatives.
snow report
@Mjit, Aye Aye Cap'n. I see what you mean by 'antique'.
ski holidays
Nit treatment. When my children were in primary school they got them several times, once while we were skiing. The nit shampoo in resort cost over €30!
Also, a pack of cards, Yahtzee and a board game.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am definitely packing my new microwave rice cooker as boiling stuff at altitude is a real pain and I struggle to cook rice at the best of times!
latest report
@always29, packets of uncle Ben's in the microwave....winner winner chicken dinner
ski holidays
small pack of cards for the white out days stuck on mountain cafe....
latest report
small pack of cards for the white out days stuck on mountain cafe....
snow report
not a packing point, but when I renovated our apartment I got a power point with a USB outlet as well put up the wall at the point just above where the kids heads would be in the bunk beds, best thing I done.
snow report
When self catering I pack salt and pepper, travel bottle of washing up liquid and washing up sponge, small bottle of olive oil, and teabags. Chocolate bars for the slopes. Couple of empty sports drink bottles to fill and take on the slopes and also by the bed at night. 3m HDMI cable and tablet with movies and blutooth speaker.

Just a small tip. When packing salt and pepper remember to pack it in a ziplock bag; especially if its truffle salt left over from Christmas. Not good when the lid pops off in transit, meaning the entire contents of your suitcase and subsequently the appartment STINKS for the entire week.
snow report
When self catering I pack salt and pepper, travel bottle of washing up liquid and washing up sponge, small bottle of olive oil, and teabags. Chocolate bars for the slopes. Couple of empty sports drink bottles to fill and take on the slopes and also by the bed at night. 3m HDMI cable and tablet with movies and blutooth speaker.

Just a small tip. When packing salt and pepper remember to pack it in a ziplock bag; especially if its truffle salt left over from Christmas. Not good when the lid pops off in transit, meaning the entire contents of your suitcase and subsequently the appartment STINKS for the entire week.
snow report
@Giffordpikes, yes - my tagine mix was double-bagged last year! Anything which I don't want all over my clothes goes into plastic bags, regardless of how secure I think its container might be.

I always pack a lacrosse ball and my massage roller https://66fit.co.uk/products/66fit-spiky-muscle-roller-stick to use on tight muscles.
ski holidays
pack of cards
extension cable with 4 sockets
travel pillow
hairdryer for wife
app on iphones that enable us to track each other on the mountain
snow conditions
Does anyone know of a similar tracking app for Android?
ski holidays
@motyl, Sharing live location to specific contacts or group is possible using WhatsApp on both IOS and Android. Works well and great when skiing alone.
snow conditions
@Ozboy, thanks - I'll definitely give that a go!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy