Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gluten free in Les Gets

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know if there are any restaurants/cafes in the Les Gets area who are able to cater for those who need to eat gluten free food please. Both my husband and daughter have coeliac disease so I’m just trying to research what options there are, if any, for when we go later this year. We’re staying in a catered chalet so it will only really need to be for lunches and one evening meal. Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry no idea about gluten free but the Yeti by the top of the Chavannes bubble was very switched on to allergies last year with content lists for all their dishes. No good for evening though.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whyever is this in "Off Piste"?

Moved.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ACS, you could look at Wild Beets a fairly new outfit in Les Gets, and ask them.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have noticed that a lot of eating places in the GM are now getting much better at listing ingredients to enable those with allergies to navigate a bit better. Good luck, if you are successful maybe you can come back and let us all know for the future?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Pamski wrote:
@ACS, you could look at Wild Beets a fairly new outfit in Les Gets, and ask them.
Pleased to hear they are operating this season after the tragedy they endured in the autumn.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rob@rar, yes it all seems up and running and have seen posts from Jo Watts. We are no longer in the village having sold in July but I still feel drawn to follow ‘stuff’!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ACS, Mrs Z is a coeliac so we have the same issue whenever we travel.
I usually find the Tripadvisor forum to be helpful for recommendations but I notice that there are no comments for the PDS.

I'm guessing that you do so already, but we make sure we carry a card with the phrases we need in the appropriate language whenever we go away.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You may have already seen this - Gluten Free Restaurants in Les Gets
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurants-g196708-zfz10992-Les_Gets_Portes_du_Soleil_Haute_Savoie_Auvergne_Rhone_Alpes.html

edit - only one is actually Les Gets - O Kariboo, the rest are Morzine or further!

I notice in the review of O Kariboo, one reviewer said "This place has the best burgers in Les Gets. Friendly staff who were very helpful accommodating my gluten free wife. Will definitely be back!!!"
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you all, I had looked on Trip Advisor and found the one mention for Les Gets.

Yes, we’re definitely going to take multiple copies of the allergy cards printed in french, just in case we loose one.

Fortunately my parents are driving out so I can send some of the longer shelf life gluten free food out with them so my husband and daughter have plenty of snacks, plus favourite staples. My husband is accepting of the fact that it may not be possible for him to eat out, but my 7 year old daughter really struggles with not being able to eat the same as everyone else so I’m hoping to be able to go armed with a list of places that others have had success with.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ACS, French supermarkets have plenty of gluten free products these days, some brands the same as in the UK, some different ones. I have never been in the supermarkets in Les Gets or Taninges but the big ones in Cluses will have a wide variety.

I usually stock up on several of the Gerblé products when I'm driving back. Their biscuits and cakes are good, their Pain Campagnard makes good sandwiches.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bit of a thread-bump, sorry, but I've just been diagnosed as having coeliac disease and am trying to get my head around a gluten-free diet.

How easy is this going to be in France, catering up at the top of a mountain? I'll be in Val Thorens for the SFaB in April. @nemeziss has very kindly offered to take something for me in her car, but I thought I'd ask if I need to bring anything in particular?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ACS, Both my wife and daughter are coeliacs, the big French supermarkets cater pretty well for the GF diet.There is a particularly good selection in the Carrefour just outside Thonon-les-Bains, you might be able to drive there from Les Gets. Note; a lot of french supermarkets scatter the GF stuff around the different sections, for instance the GF pasta is with the ordinary pasta not in the free-from section. In fact we often divert from Switzerland to Thonon to get Rummo GF pasta which in our opinion is the best make.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@tomj, all the supermarkets in VT have gluten free basics like bread, cereal, pasta and some kind of cake/snack. The one right at the top of the village has the biggest selection but it's still not exactly massive. When cooking for yourself it's easy enough to just do something rice/potato based anyway. I drive but don't bring that much - generally just cereal/snack bars. On-mountain restaurants are hit and miss, I carry a card in French to show them so they don't think I'm just being awkward. These days they do seem pretty clued up when you ask, as long as it's not too busy. The Knife and Fork is very limited for GF, a couple of years ago I did the tour and established the only thing GF available is the chips, for which they have a dedicated fryer. Chalet de la Marine has an extensive GF menu and is also excellent, probably not somewhere you want to go every day though. Generally in VT I take the approach of carrying a couple of snack bars and considering myself lucky if I end up somewhere with decent options. You can generally persuade any French restaurant that cooks to order to do you an omelette, even if it's not actually on the menu. The self-service places tend to be more tricky.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wild Beets does loads of GF stuff , Carrefour has Gf section. Most places ok, Yeti did a good GF meal. Steak and chips usually safe. Wife is Gf and Dairy as well which is difficult. GF beer hard to find tho
latest report
Wild Beets is great and do GF cakes as well. Lovely food and very nice people.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy