Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Father and son - cheap option first week in April!

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Sorry it hasn't worked out for you @Boofont. We've got the same Easter hols as you so I'll be keeping a keen eye on this thread. From the Euro holidays sheet it looks like we will be the only regions in Europe with school holidays that week and so coupled with uncertainty over Brexit, there should be some bargains to be had.

You might want to change the title now I suppose.
snow report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Canuck,

Had two great trips with Esprit as you can read. I would go again and sack off the lessons. The format is great and as a single dad it’s really nice to have some adult company in the evening. I called them this morning. They have just one option available with the single parent rate and that’s at La Rosière for £1800. I’ve not skied there so can’t comment on it in that respect. Also a bit out of budget really. Perhaps I’m being totally unrealistic but I’m trying to keep it as close to £1000 as I can. Happy to be chief pot washer and general dogs body... will work for cash! Very Happy
ski holidays     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Penry wrote:
Sorry it hasn't worked out for you @Boofont. We've got the same Easter hols as you so I'll be keeping a keen eye on this thread. From the Euro holidays sheet it looks like we will be the only regions in Europe with school holidays that week and so coupled with uncertainty over Brexit, there should be some bargains to be had.

You might want to change the title now I suppose.


Well Penry I’m 46 and really apart from the above I’ve had a very blesssed life so things could be worse! Thanks.

How do I change the title please?
snow conditions     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Go back to the first post and edit it there snowHead
ski holidays     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Penry wrote:
Go back to the first post and edit it there snowHead


Shazam.... the magic works! Job done! wink
snow report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Boofont
I’ve used this place a time or two
http://www.rekahisa.com/winter-activities/skiingandsnowboardingholidays


In fact I’m heading back there this Feb half term with my daughter and another father / daughter combo.

When you consider the price includes lift passes and ski hire, it’s pretty good value, not sure how flights from Scotland work though. The food is ace and you have some chalet style company of an evening. The ski resorts are all quite small in Slovenia, but you visit a few during in the week to get some variety, and it’s principally blue and red heaven out there, very little gnarly steep stuff.
latest report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Boofont, we have booked our April ski holiday through Sunweb (we are going to Mayrhofen in 13th April).

I noticed on the website of where we are going for Half term that from mid March the Ski Amadé lift pass is free for children when bought with an adult.

The place we are staying at for Half term is Haus Susanne (https://www.austrian-adventures.com). Not sure when that area closes in April though (as obviously we are going Feb I didn’t look at that!)
latest report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
t4tomo wrote:
@Boofont
I’ve used this place a time or two
http://www.rekahisa.com/winter-activities/skiingandsnowboardingholidays


In fact I’m heading back there this Feb half term with my daughter and another father / daughter combo.

When you consider the price includes lift passes and ski hire, it’s pretty good value, not sure how flights from Scotland work though. The food is ace and you have some chalet style company of an evening. The ski resorts are all quite small in Slovenia, but you visit a few during in the week to get some variety, and it’s principally blue and red heaven out there, very little gnarly steep stuff.


Hi There. Thanks the reply. It looks a little low, not sure about snow in the first week of April?
ski holidays     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Altitude less important when you are that far east. All resorts try to stay open until Easter and beyond if possible. Obviously weather dependent, but Krvavec and Vogel are both gondolas upto 1500m and then all the skiing is above there up to 1800-1900m. Kranska Gora is lower. The other smaller resorts a bit in between altitude wise, but you have a choice of resorts which minimises risk.

I almost popped out at Easter last year and there was loads of snow around. An early heat wave wouldn’t be good, but that’s a risk anywhere. And most places in Easter are getting mushy in the afternoon.

Was just a idea I thought Id throw in as seemed to suit your requirements. Somewhere in Austria or France with a glacier would be less risk snow wise, but more £££.
snow conditions     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Boofont,

I know it would be very nice to have everything locked down but I would consider just booking flights. There will be loads of accommodation available that week outside the mega high resorts. You could fix it up at the last minute somewhere less obvious where the snow reports are still good.

I'm sure you know this but a skiing holiday is a brilliant way of spending quality time with your son. The side by side time on chairlifts works brilliantly for letting them talk - flows naturally somehow. Have a wonderful time.
latest report     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@jedster,

Thanks very much. I'm not sure if I want to leave it open like that with my lad, as in just book flights. I mean, where would I book them from? I'm in Scotland but still a four hour drive from Glasgow or Edinburgh Airports.
snow conditions     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boofont wrote:
@jedster,

Thanks very much. I'm not sure if I want to leave it open like that with my lad, as in just book flights. I mean, where would I book them from? I'm in Scotland but still a four hour drive from Glasgow or Edinburgh Airports.

I think you will have to fly from Glasgow or Edinburgh but I am no expert flying from Scotland.

Anyhow, as before, wait until 5-10 days before you want to go and then started looking for catered chalet deals for the two of you. I would imagine you could get something for £500 per person for flights, accommodation and meals.
ski holidays     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Are you and the lad in the same location, @Boofont,? If logistics are difficult I can understand why you'd want to have it all tied up in good time. But there's a cost trade-off. In April if booking in advance, only certain resorts can be fairly sure of good snow. And they tend to be expensive. School holiday time is peak pricing for UK tour operators though low season for booking DIY accommodation in France
ski holidays     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, it's not school holiday time for almost all UK and almost all Europe. tbh I don't know how much of Scotland is off that week, which could have an impact on cost and availability of flights out of Glasgow/Edinburgh, but in England it is only a few local authorities.
snow conditions     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We’re in the same location, Morayshire. Things are looking expensive to book now. More than when I was looking at those dates in Feb. Looking like it might not be possible. My separated wife is the most un-accommodating person ever so it makes things very very difficult.

Glasgow and Edinburgh flights are quite booked up already so I imagine all the Scottish schools are off around the same time.

I’ve never done it DIY and I guess I’m a little daunted by it all. Perhaps I should just go for it?
latest report     
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just checking flight prices to Geneva. Mega expensive from Scotland, over £500 for the pair of us. I can get Manchester for around £200 for the pair though. Ok, that’s a 400. I’ve ish journey and around seven hours in the car though.

Transfer from Geneva to a high resort in France?

Other options maybe?

Sorry to pester you all. I can say enough how much I appreciate all the replies and help. Thanks.
snow conditions     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't give up. My son has a son who lives in Genoa with his mother. Who is also unaccommodating....I do sympathize. DIY sounds expensive for flights. The best bet will probably be a last minute package. In your situation that makes sense. Delays and problems can arise with any holiday but with a package you run less risk of being blamed for it!

That means keeping the week free and waiting. A bit nerve wracking.,..

Early April can sometimes be a good time for skiing in Scotland....but that's definitely a last minute decision.
snow conditions     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Boofont, I think you are making life more complicated than it needs to be.

The time for getting cheap flights has pretty much passed, so DIY is out, unless you were driving.. which you are not and wouldn't make sense anyway with the two of you.

And the time to get a good TO package deal will be 5-10 days before your holiday. You aren't too fussed about where you stay or ski, so you are in an ideal position to grab a deal.

This is all about you and your lad having a week away together on the slopes. Use the KISS approach.

What is your budget likely to be in total for the travel, accommodation, food, ski hire, lift pass, insurance and bits'n'pieces. Presumably you won't be getting lessons?
ski holidays     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Layne wrote:
Anyhow, as before, wait until 5-10 days before you want to go and then started looking for catered chalet deals for the two of you. I would imagine you could get something for £500 per person for flights, accommodation and meals.


This sounds like a good plan but almost too good to be true. I’ve never done a chalet trip before so really have no idea what they’re like. Perhaps naively I thought you had to book the whole chalet for your party? So I could pheasbly get a room for just my son and I? I guess in the event the meals are served to all the guests so there would be a chance to socialise?

I liked the format when I did the Esprit holidays. Of course I was on my own but that’s OK with me, I’m quite friendly and don’t have an issue with chatting to people. So that kind of format where you sit down with new friends to eat is pretty cool with me.
ski holidays     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Layne wrote:
@Boofont, I think you are making life more complicated than it needs to be.

The time for getting cheap flights has pretty much passed, so DIY is out, unless you were driving.. which you are not and wouldn't make sense anyway with the two of you.

And the time to get a good TO package deal will be 5-10 days before your holiday. You aren't too fussed about where you stay or ski, so you are in an ideal position to grab a deal.

This is all about you and your lad having a week away together on the slopes. Use the KISS approach.

What is your budget likely to be in total for the travel, accommodation, food, ski hire, lift pass, insurance and bits'n'pieces. Presumably you won't be getting lessons?


Excuse me but I’ve never heard of the KISS approach?

Budget... as low as possible! When I first talked with my lad I thought £1000 for travel and accommodation. Was thinking self catering so food would be as cheap as we could get and make. I have skis etc so likely cheaper to take mine with me. My son needs. So considering lift pass and extras, I guess that would have to be somewhere between £250 and £500 max.

It’s a difficult position to be in. My son and I lost a summer holiday repeated to the tensions between my wife and I. She denied access for five months playing games with me, the common storey in separation. Had to fight that in court. So that was very upsetting for us both. I have some expensive legal fees to pay so in realty I shouldn’t be considering going skiing but this he missed his summer holiday, he’s heading to high school I’m August so might not be best placed for next few years and I really want to have a nice week with him doing something that we both enjoy. Reckless spending maybe but if I can screew things down money wise it might be possible.

Thanks everyone! Very Happy
ski holidays     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Boofont wrote:


Excuse me but I’ve never heard of the KISS approach?



Keep It Simple, Stupid. Nothing personal, just what the acronym means Toofy Grin

In this case, I'd think a last minute package (booked no more than a week in advance), to one of the smaller resorts to keep lift pass costs down, would be your best option. TOs will have individual rooms in chalets, chalet hotels etc to fill and you are perfectly placed - 2 people, happy to go nearly anywhere. From what I've seen in your posts I think a chalet would suit you - other adults to talk to at dinner, food included in the cost etc. It might be cheaper to rent skis for you (TO ski carriage can be expensive). But don't overthink it. Set yourself a budget, then hold your nerve, see where the snow is good and pick a deal the week before you go. Then enjoy Very Happy
snow conditions     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@mgrolf + 1

@Boofont, you should be able to get a catered chalet deal for £500 per person. As mgrolf says smaller resorts will have cheaper lift passes but will have adequate skiing for you.

I don't think it's reckless spending in the circumstances. I would imagine it being an unforgetable week for the two of you.
snow report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Definitely not reckless spending. Investment in a lifetime relationship.
latest report     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OK Snowheads…. back on the radar on this one! Anymore advice or suggestions.

Travelling 30 or 31st March, 7 nights. I live in the north of Scotland. My son and I who's 11.

Looking for a cheap snow sure option. Fire away! Thanks in advance!
snow conditions     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Boofont, check out what Sunweb has for those dates
ski holidays     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@NickyJ, On their site now! Thanks. Smile
latest report     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Boofont, remember prices include lift passes
snow report     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thoughts on Andorra first week of April please? Pas is pretty high, safe bet or should I be looking to France?

Livigno has been suggested to me too.
snow report     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Crystal Ski has options in Zell Am See, Kaprun, Passo di Tonale between £630 and £650 for flights from Edinburgh, accommodation and transfers.

The first two are bed and breakfast, the second two are half board.

www.crystalski.co.uk

You'll need to add lift passes and kit hire to that.

I have no link to Crystal anymore (more brother worked for them 20 years ago) but have used them already this season and will be using them again in April.
ski holidays     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've seen loads of fresh snow in Andorra early April.

Easyjet holidays website worth a try. especially if you are prepared to hire a car
snow report     
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Skiworld would also be an option. Their website only shows English airports but they to ring for help with Edinburgh or Glasgow:-

https://www.skiworld.co.uk/snow-extras/travel-options
snow report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Boofont, Skiworld La Roz. Just over a Grand all in for the two of you. https://www.skiworld.co.uk/ski-holidays/france/la-rosiere/choucas?id_accom_price=1266271633

You did say earlier you weren't averse to a Manchester flight.
ski holidays     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jet2 to Salzburg from Edinburgh currently £160 return plus luggage.

Crystal from Manchester Mayrhofen B & B £359 Half Board £519 or Val Di Fassa for £402
snow report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks like Andorra has poor snow cover? Thinking it has to be France, perhaps Val Thoren, or maybe Tignes or Val D'Isere. I have been to Val and Tignes before. Any other good snow sure options you guys know of please? What about La Plagne? Anywhere else in Europe that offers good value for money at this time of year?

Question about a chalet. I've never stayed in one as such. Would you all consider it an option for myself and my 11 year old? Trying to weigh up costs of cooking etc self catering. Plus perhaps there might be company for him and I guess myself of an evening. I'm quiet a sociable person although I'm happy on my own too, but if there's some company for my lad he would love that. Otherwise I'll bore him to death I'm sure.

Also thinking, are there any resorts that offer deals on lift passes?

I really appreciate all your comments.
snow report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boofont wrote:
Looks like Andorra has poor snow cover?

I don't know the state of the snow cover in Andorra right now but #1 a lot can change in 3 weeks either way and #2 I'm not sure how big a factor it will be in your holiday - as I'm guessing you will be skiing on piste and as long as a decent number of slopes are open you will have a playground.

Boofont wrote:
Thinking it has to be France, perhaps Val Thoren, or maybe Tignes or Val D'Isere. I have been to Val and Tignes before.

Not saying they aren't good late season options, though early April isn't thatlate but lift passes and other stuff tends to cost more so as you are on a tight budget you may want to think of alternatives.

Boofont wrote:
Any other good snow sure options you guys know of please?

I think there are some misconceptions about what this means. The vast majority of ski resorts across Europe will be open and have a good amount of piste skiing.

Boofont wrote:
What about La Plagne?

La Plagne is excellent but see above about the French megaresorts.

Boofont wrote:
Anywhere else in Europe that offers good value for money at this time of year?

Value for money lies in the eye of the beholder. It's a difficult thing to quantify. But I think what you need is decent skiing at a lower price. I doubt it will matter to you if you pay £800 on lift passes for you and your son at a megaresort or £500 at a medium size resort. You will have great fun at either.

Boofont wrote:
Question about a chalet. I've never stayed in one as such. Would you all consider it an option for myself and my 11 year old? Trying to weigh up costs of cooking etc self catering. Plus perhaps there might be company for him and I guess myself of an evening. I'm quiet a sociable person although I'm happy on my own too, but if there's some company for my lad he would love that. Otherwise I'll bore him to death I'm sure.

So cost wise if you self cater and cook for yourself each day and make packed lunches - it will definitely be cheaper. That said if you book 5-10 days before and are really flexible you could strike a good chalet/hotel deal. And the other thing is can you even get reasonable price flights right now. If not you need a TO anyway and it will probably make sense to get a chalet/hotel package. The chalet/hotel will definitely help in terms of socialising.

Boofont wrote:
Also thinking, are there any resorts that offer deals on lift passes?

For the week you are going unlikely. As someone mentioned above sunweb and one or two others do deals for S/C accommodation and lift pass.
ski holidays     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Layne, Thank you very much. Some great point so consider there.
latest report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So made some phone calls. Got a few options in France (Val Thorens, La Plagne and La Rosière) in chalets coming in at £499 PP flying from Manchester. Not ideal to go from Manchester as it's a 7 hour drive and then perhaps a hotel and/or parking. But if it has to be then so be it.

Another option I was given Cortina (Chalet Hotel Parc Victoria). It's flying from Edinburgh which is around 3-4 hour drive, the flight times suit and I have negotiated free ski carriage saving £40, price is £528 PP. My only thoughts are the ski area. I don't know it but it seems very spread out. Lots of buses perhaps?

I guess I need to consider the if I fancy the longer drive to get a better ski area and perhaps more enjoyable and social ski experience, or go for the closer airport with better flights and perhaps make a sacrifice with the ski area.
ski holidays     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
By the way, it's been snowing in the Pyrenees

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=139026&start=200
latest report     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boofont wrote:
So made some phone calls. Got a few options in France (Val Thorens, La Plagne and La Rosière) in chalets coming in at £499 PP flying from Manchester. Not ideal to go from Manchester as it's a 7 hour drive and then perhaps a hotel and/or parking. But if it has to be then so be it.

It's too early. Wait for 5-10 days before. Yes you may have to go from Manchester still but I'm no expert on how easy it is to get TO flights from Scotland.

Boofont wrote:
Another option I was given Cortina (Chalet Hotel Parc Victoria). It's flying from Edinburgh which is around 3-4 hour drive, the flight times suit and I have negotiated free ski carriage saving £40, price is £528 PP. My only thoughts are the ski area. I don't know it but it seems very spread out. Lots of buses perhaps?

Yes - see this thread

Boofont wrote:
I guess I need to consider the if I fancy the longer drive to get a better ski area and perhaps more enjoyable and social ski experience, or go for the closer airport with better flights and perhaps make a sacrifice with the ski area.

Life is often about compromise. But leave it late, see what options are available flying out of Scotland. If not looking good stretch to Manchester.
ski holidays     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Random thought to confuse things Smile

Looks like Flybe have flights for circa £70 Inverness to Birmingham - would that open up more options (fly down the previous day/get cheapo hotel ...)?
snow conditions     



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy