Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Italian Resort?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all. We (2 adults) have flights booked to Bergamo for 4 nights in January. My original plan was to stay in Montecampione because you can get there by bus fairly quickly and easily but due to lack of snow I have cancelled that hotel. So I am looking for a bearish (up to 2 hrs ish) resort that has snow. I have short listed Madesimo, Aprica and Folgaria. I am looking into hotels that offer transfers but am thinking about hiring a car. Has anyone hired cars in Italy for ski trips and or driven to one of these resorts? Or know of resorts with good transport links to Bergamo? A lot of questions I know but would really appreciate some advice and recommendations. Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
2hr34mins and you can be in Cervinia. Youd be sure to have snow here.

As for car hire in Italy, absolute dodle

What are your dates, give us a challenge Happy

I can always find car hire super cheap and accomodation wise give us a budget Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When are you going in Jan ? ...as it looks like some snow is forecasted after 10Jan for Italian resorts in the eastern alps.

Hiring a car is easy and with a tom tom/ google maps you will easily be able to drive to resorts.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks! Dates are 15th-19th Jan. hotels I’ve been looking at are from £180 to £350 for the 4 nights. I’m looking for low price without having a massive trek to slopes everyday as we only have 3 days to ski. Not after anything fancy either.
One hotel close to slopes in Aprica is £245 with breakfast so that is the best I’ve seen so far. Also one at bottom of sky express in village below Madesimo for £180 s/c apt.
I will look into Cervinia!
Glad to hear car hire is ok option. I do feel a little nervous driving in bad weather on winding roads but might be best option.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ok

So first things first car hire

You can get a cheap micro car for £26 for your stay, snow chains included.

Or go for (which I would) one with winter tyres, for £84
https://www.holidayautos.com/book?pickupDateTime=2019-01-15T10%3A00&returnDateTime=2019-01-19T10%3A00&age=30&clientID=463473&ct=MP&countryID=IT&curr=GBP&elID=521545425240512&ln=en-gb&pickupCountryCode=IT&residenceID=GB&returnCountryCode=IT&pickupID=839&pickupName=Milan - Airport - Bergamo&returnID=839&returnName=Milan - Airport - Bergamo#/vehicle/1911344973
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As for a accomodation there are a few on booking.com in cervinia pretty much slope side for circa £300, or £250 with a little walk (it's all up hill though!!)

Have a look at Aosta Valley also, loads of accomodation on booking.com ranging from £156 upwards.

K will stress with Aosta though that I haven't checked current slope conditions

It's also one of the easiest drives going from Milan, 3 major roads and you are there in 2hrs15mins!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think that 2 people will get in anywhere so suggest hold on until a week before your departure. 16 days to go so anything could happen with the snow!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Plus of based in Aosta you can take the trip west to Courmayeur for a day - only 30mins up the road.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kezzy19661 wrote:
I think that 2 people will get in anywhere so suggest hold on until a week before your departure. 16 days to go so anything could happen with the snow!

This is true but it doesn't hurt to have a backup plan and as the OP has cancelled their accomodation already, a plan is a good thing Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the ideas I will go and look at these. I hadn’t looked at any resorts out to the west as I didn’t realise you could get there as quick.
What are your thoughts on the resorts I mentioned before? The ones north and east of Bergamo?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Be careful with car hire in Italy, lots of horror stories. Either take lots of pics either side or ensure you take their all inclusive insurance deal.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Dema, I've never heard of them Happy

I've been to Italy I lot but stick to the dolomites or aosta/cervinia regions
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Rishie, really??!!

I've been hiring in Italy for 7 years now, (several times a year) with no issues.

I never take out their insurance, it's a RIP off. Granted its piece of mind, but you can get your own for circa £15.

Just use the more reputable companies like Hertz, Sicily by car etc, and of course take photos/record it on the hire out sheet. That's just common sense though Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We have flown to Bergamo for the last 2 years and driven to Gressoney, it's an easy drive and we love the skiing there. Plenty of on piste for 3-4 days, great food and wine. It's very high and they're very good on snowmaking and piste grooming. Lots of off piste too, if that's your thing. We have stayed in Staffal, right beside the lifts, it's very quiet at night, though, if you like the apres scene.
I can recommend Villa Della Regina, old mountain Lodge which does b and b. And in January they do half price ski passes which makes for a really cheap few days. We'rere going again this year, love it so much.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Winter tyres are essential, unless you are feeling lucky, "well do ya?"
ski holidays
Car hire is ridiculously cheap in Italy at the mo. There are so many resorts to choose from. There hasn't been too much snow lately so book late and follow the forecast.
Extend your transfer Drive if it means good conditions....
snow report
If one was to travel 3hrs max from BGY, tomo by hire car, where one head to (best snow) ?

MDC / Passo T
Madesimo
Pila
Gressoney
etc
ski holidays
Car hire in Italy is very simple. Check it's winterised. In many regions this is a legal requirement.
Hold off booking where you go as the Dollies and Aosta valley are both within easy access from Bergamo. Accomodation will be no problem. Use Hotels.com or Airbnb. If it doesn't snow, head to the Dollies as their snowmaking is unbelievable.
ski holidays
Check out Bormio, we drove there from Bergamo a while back.
ski holidays
Myself and wife went to Madesimo for a short break in January about 3/4 years ago and would thoroughly recommend it. We booked transfers and accommodation through bellaskiitalia who were very good but I'm sure easy to arrange yourself if you prefer to do it independently. There hadn't been a lot of snow when we went but the pistes were in great condition with more than enough to keep you happy for a few days. Apres very quiet with an "up market" feel and lots of lovely meats and cheeses with every drink!

We're doing a short break again in March this year using Bergamo airport and thinking of Madesimo again but exploring other options as well so do post back what you go for. I'm wary of travelling west and hitting Milan traffic at the wrong time so if anyone has any knowledge if that is an issue that would be great.
snow conditions
We have never had a serious issue with Milan traffic, it slows a bit, but even at evening rush hour on the way back from a sunny weekend it kept moving.
ski holidays
northantsred wrote:
Check out Bormio, we drove there from Bergamo a while back.

Agree with you on Bormio. Here is a cheap way from Bergamo airport with no car.

get bus#1 from outside airport terminal to BERGAMO train station - Not to Milan !.
Costs €2. takes 15 mins.

At Bergamo Train station get the 13:02 DIRECT to Tirano. (arrives Tirano 14:52 ). Costs €10.50. If you miss that train, there more at 14:02, 15:02, 17:02, 19:02 etc. Lovely views of lake Como.

Then at Tirano, use the under pass to the bus terminus, Bus upto village. €3.60.

So in village for €16.10 ! Alternatively €50 by direct bus one way.

Main benefit is that you avoid the busy and confusing Milan Centrale train station. Also, once in Bormio there is no need for a car. You can Ski bormio, free bus 15 min to San Colombino, 25min to Santa Caterina. Or a €4 / 50mins to Livigno.

Bormio is a lovely medieval town, chilled out bars and great skiing. Was snowing tonight on the webcams !

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 4-01-19 17:34; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Thank you re Bormio, would you have a link please to the direct bus to Bormio from Bergamo please

Have not done Madesimo yet , but is on the list

From Dublin, We usually fly to Bergamo as 2 flights to and from Dub to Bgy 7 days a week (28 flights) . Treviso is tempting, but far fewer flights
snow conditions
www.livignoexpress.com
www.bormioviaggi.it/

Let me know if you are going and we can have a beer. Party every Monday in the square.
snow conditions
Thanks everyone for the helpful advice.
ski holidays
Another vote for Gressoney. You don't say what level skiers you are. But if you're piste-based intermediates happy on reds & blues with the odd black Passo Tonale (with its link to Ponte di legno) is a good choice. Snow sure thanks to its glacier, less than 2 hours from Bergamo & very good value for money. If you're expert skiers Gressoney every time!
snow report
I looked at Gressony but the lift passes and hotels were quite a bit more expensive than the other resorts I looked at.
As for ski level we switched from boarding 4 years ago to ski with the kids so our skiing is basic level and we have stuck to mostly blues or reds with some challenging reds.
So this holiday on our own we are flexible (OH still thinking about boarding but I’m sticking to skis) but I have no major desire for very challenging runs, more leisurely tree runs with a stop off at a pub on the way down or at the bottom.
With that in mind is Gressony worth it? It seems the popular choice.
As for resorts near Bergamo, Madesimo has snow forecast most days from now till we go but also while we are there but Aprica the other resort I fancy has sunny days forecast but not much new snow.
latest report
Have a look at Monterosa ski for free. You can get either free, or half price ski passes if you book directly with the hotels or guesthouses. I can't seem to copy the link. Mostly intermediate slopes, nothing scary.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
did the drive from Bergamo to Madesimo during the summer and I wouldn't fancy doing it in the winter as it has a very steep climb with narrow tunnels towards the end. I drive for a living and I've driven to resorts in an every corner of Italy, Austria, France etc and that journey was the worst and that was in the summer! no way id chance it without chains either in winter.
Madesimo is a lovely town though and as said previously bars are a bit upmarket and certainly not cosy like the Austrian or Italian bars.
snow report
Excellent thread, huge amount of useful information.
ski holidays
garc wrote:
did the drive from Bergamo to Madesimo during the summer and I wouldn't fancy doing it in the winter as it has a very steep climb with narrow tunnels towards the end. I drive for a living and I've driven to resorts in an every corner of Italy, Austria, France etc and that journey was the worst and that was in the summer! no way id chance it without chains either in winter.
Madesimo is a lovely town though and as said previously bars are a bit upmarket and certainly not cosy like the Austrian or Italian bars.

Oh ok that puts me off! I don’t suppose you remember a village called Campodolcino on the way up? That is where I was looking at staying (lower in the valley). Do you remember if it was before the road gets too bad? Have you driven to Aprica, Passo Tonale or Bormio? If so how to these compare for driving?
The car I hired includes “winterisation” which I assume includes winter tyres and chains. It’s with Hertz.

i Know someone said the road to Gressoney-La-Trinité was an easy drive (does that include right up to the resort or is the last bit also sketchy?
ski holidays
Ottoline wrote:
Have a look at Monterosa ski for free. You can get either free, or half price ski passes if you book directly with the hotels or guesthouses. I can't seem to copy the link. Mostly intermediate slopes, nothing scary.

Ah thanks. Someone else said you can get half price passes but I couldn’t find it anywhere but that could make a big difference. How did you find the drive into Gressony? Especially the last bit when you are off the main roads?
snow report
Ottoline wrote:

Sorry I just realised it was you that told me about the passes Laughing
snow report
The drive to Gressoney is fine. Up a long valley, beautiful little villages on the way. Nothing hair raising about it at all. You'll be fine!
snow conditions
[quote="Dema"]
garc wrote:

The car I hired includes “winterisation” which I assume includes winter tyres and chains. It’s with Hertz.

Nope

Winterisation with Hertz is just snow chains UNLESS it has a little picture of a winter tyre above the vehicle when you book it.

Look at the picture of the jeep compass on this link, you'll see what I mean

https://www.hertz.co.uk/rentacar/reservation/#vehicles

Or

https://images.hertz.com/vehicles/220x128/ZEITFFDR999.jpg
ski holidays
Campodolcino was much lower down so should be ok to there. didn't even stop there so no idea what its like. must be some lift to go from there to the top! used a transfer to Passo Tonale years ago and don't think it was too bad. haven't done any others in that area except going all the way to the dolomites. was an easy enough drive to the more southern resorts there. if you haven't been before its spectacular and probably worth the extra 1hr drive. think about it, its only an extra 2hrs out of your hols over 4 days
ski holidays
I’ve been to Madesimo on three occasions in recent years and enjoyed it very much. The highlights are the laid back attitude, great regional food and excellent value for money.

We have always stayed at Hotel Andossi which is about 150m from a ski rental shop and chairlifts. The hotel is family run, take direct bookings and offer great meals.

We have always been picked up by the hotel from Milan Linate airport, for reasonable cost, to save us driving. There are two roads upto the village -the old one being steep, narrow and windy but doable, while the newer road bypasses the really windy bits.

I have always going car rental in Italy chaotic and strongly suggest you photograph every square inch of the car at pickup and dropoff. We have annual excess protection insurance (~£50) to avoid taking out their expensive insurance.
snow conditions
A vote for Madesimo from me too The skiing is great and the lift from Campodolcino would save you the windy drive up and take at least 20 minutes off the journey.
ski holidays
@Ignatius, is it possible to access the village for accommodation if using that lift, which i believe is a train that tunnels up the mountain? Curious to know if there is pedestrian / car access to Madesimo from the Motta side.
snow report
Am I correct in assuming, hotels Campodolcino lower priced than Madesimo
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy