Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Colltex whizz skins - longer term users?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Mrs D needs some new skins for her new skis and after some advice. I like the idea of the whizz skins - no cheat sheet etc, but I wasn’t hugely impressed with mine on the single use I’ve had out of them so far. They didn’t adhere well to the edges around the tips and snow was packed in there when I came to remove them (2hr skin, fresh snow, no extreme temps). Wouldn’t have been great if I’d had multiple skins that day.

Obviously may have been user error in my haste to get going, or the fact I was on wide skis and ended up breaking trail the whole way, but never had the same issue with my older blue colltex skins.

I’d ideally like to use them a few more times before committing to another pair for the missus, but the chances of her letting me off touring without her are nil snowHead So any longer term SH users have any feedback?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have done 2 seasons and about 30 days on them with no trouble (including Mont Blanc) so I am a happy user.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Only used mine for a couple days but loved them. Light and grippy plus easy to use.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've sold hundreds of pairs of them since they came out in 14/15. A few people have had some issues but upon discussion it seems to come down to wiping down the bases thoroughly etc, particularly if doing multiple skins. Their 65%/35% mohair/synthetic mix gives both great glide and grip. Plus their tip bail and camlock tail fixing are the best on the market. Colltex say their low tack acrylate (Whizz) glue is good for circa 65 days which I think is a bit ambitious but they're a doddle to DIY re-glue as the new glue comes on a roll.

@Dashed, do you fit them yourself?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@spyderjon - Yep, cut them myself following the instructions supplied when I got them from you... Cut a few pairs of skins over the years and never had a problem. Could well be that I didn’t make sure they were adhered properly around the tip. As I say, only used them once and on a 122mm ski - so any sloppiness in fitting on my part would show up!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you've got the 70+ tip bail version check that you've have fitted the tip bail the right way round so it's not lifting the start of the skin of the ski base.

Also, one thing to watch when fitting skins to skis with long rockered tips is the point at which you start the taper to the tip bail as on some skis if you start the taper at the widest point across the tip width (which is what the instructions usually say) then you can be getting quite close to the contact point etc - so on those designs I've recently started the taper further up the rocker.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy