Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vegan options in Ski Resorts - Please share

Poster: A snowHead
I think it might be a useful reference, to have a thread where People can post how Vegans are catered for, in different resorts that they've been in.

It can be the experience of Vegans sharing their knowledge; or anyone that has spotted something interesting.

All this has come about, because I'm heading to the French Alps with my Daughter, who has gone from Vegetarian (which was hard enough), to Vegan - and there is still precious little available in France........I'm sure other Countries are better.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
...I suspect she may starve in Austria! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's ok ham counts as veg in Austria.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
On a slightly more useful note...

From experience, Hotel Salzburg in Hinterglemm provided a very good vegan menu for my daughter when we were there a couple of years back. Note that this was a properly thought through menu, not lazy "minus the cheese" adaptations.

https://www.hotel-salzburg.at/

I'm sure there will be other hotels that also cater for vegans, but if all else fails, most Italian restaurants will be able to adapt something to make it vegan. We never had any trouble finding vegan food in Italy last year using this approach.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Never had much of an issue in Austria... the Happy Cow app is your friend.

The biggest challenge is the "hidden meat" so things like stock, the knob of butter the chef lobs into the sauce to make it rich.

If options are scarce then an Italian restaurant is your safest bet... Although a week of pasta and tomato sauce gets a little trying!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
And be careful drinking wine.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Doofenschmirtz wrote:
... Although a week of pasta and tomato sauce gets a little trying!

Hang on! Pasta dough has egg in it. Trying to make pasta dough without egg is an affront to Italian cuisine and culture - sacrilege!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The only vegan stuff I have seen in Tignes is in restaurants run by Brits, might be a decent starting point.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ulmerhutte wrote:
Doofenschmirtz wrote:
... Although a week of pasta and tomato sauce gets a little trying!

Hang on! Pasta dough has egg in it. Trying to make pasta dough without egg is an affront to Italian cuisine and culture - sacrilege!

Fair point, fresh pasta has egg... dried pasta is flour and water. Unless they say egg pasta on the menu it's a fairly safe bet they've used dried.

Worth checking though.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We stayed in the Hotel Tyrolerhof in Oberau as a group of three: one omnivore, one vegertarian, one vegan... they couldn't have been more helpful! Different meal for each every night, fully plant based spreads and milk etc etc. On the mountain was a different matter... our vegan pretty much lived on chips for lunch
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My wife is longer term vegan and struggles when we are in PDS. She now eats cheese when in France as almost impossible to find a meal without it. Grocery choices are also very limited unless shopping at very large supermarkets.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Does she like eating large bowls of lettuce? That was the standard veggy option on the Pre Season Bash (which started to wear on the veggys after 3 days...).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hotel Flachauerhof in Flachau. Bio hotel
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ulmerhutte wrote:
...I suspect she may starve in Austria! Very Happy

Pretty easy in this part of Austria. Even most kebab shops have a vegan (seitan) option, which often tastes better than the original!

I guess ski resorts will still be harder, but there's always pommes if you get really stuck. And normally a curry place somewhere that'll do dal bhat and other vegan lentil stuff etc.

Few places in Innsbruck for any vegans going this way:

1. https://www.facebook.com/Olive-873133502698894/
2. https://www.ludwig-burger.at/
3. https://himal.at/
4. https://www.d-werk.at/
5. http://kitchen-hub.at/
6. https://www.myindigo.com/
7. https://www.mannainnsbruck.at/
8. http://www.oscarkocht.com/
9. https://alias.business.site/
10. https://www.woosabi.at/

All the supermarkets have good and growing vegan sections too.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 17-12-19 10:14; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Plenty of restaurants in this area which have vegan options. It's a little more difficult on the mountain. If self catering and shopping, Merkur has all sorts of vegan cheeses and whatnot.
snow report
Easiest vegan option in France is self catering.
The restaurants tend to cater for the many, not the few (3%).
snow conditions
BKM in Arc 1800 say they can produce Vegan meals on request although they don't list vegan dishes on the menu.
snow conditions
@Old Fartbag,
Find British run restaurants & ask what vegan food they can do, even if not on the menu. Most should be able to knock something up as they'll know what you mean by vegan.
latest report
Thanks for all the feedback, Peeps. Keep it up.

This might also be a useful thread, where Vegans can ask for info about specific areas they are heading to - that can then be useful to others.
ski holidays
As I mentioned on the Les Arcs thread, I know that Le Kozy and the Cherry Garden in Bourg St Maurice both do very good vegan options
snow report
Many of the hotels and restaurants in Austria understand the requirements of vegans, and will have marked dishes on their menus which are suitable. As an example of the top-end, the Alpen Karawanserai in Hinterglemm has a specific webpage for vegans ( https://www.alpen-karawanserai.at/en/karawane-cuisine/vegan-cuisine-more/ ) while even smaller places like Hoagascht in Flachau have at least one vegan option ( http://www.hoagascht.at/assets/files/hoagascht-speisekarte-dez19-web.pdf )

As @homphomp has said though food on the mountain in Austria is much less likely to be vegan friendly, as they're set up to feed hundreds of people with a quick turnover, and "difficult" people are not worth the effort. Vegetarian options are sometimes limited as well.
latest report
Corbyn lost.....
ski holidays
Serve them snow.

Wonder how many chefs have dedicated vegan knife sets for prepping.
snow conditions
A new vegan café here in 2 Alpes, Yonder.
latest report
Lokal in Davos

https://www.lokaldavos.com/
ski holidays
We have a lot of emails and calls from vegans who are tired of eating chips, chips and more chips. At Huski we have a range of vegan dishes and wines. It is not the most exhaustive menu in the history of the world, but it is certainly a starting point if you want to eat well out here on the French side of the Alps.

https://hu.ski/requirements/vegan/
ski holidays
vegans should be catered with insults Very Happy
snow conditions
Just got back from Hotel Posta Zirm in Corvara - they have vegan (and also gluten-free) options at breakfast with a variety of dairy-free milks, vegan yogurt, vegan cheese and vegan salami-style slices, as well as lots of fresh fruit and loads of bread options.

We saw the dinner menu at breakfast each day and there were 3 menus each evening, 1 of which was always a vegan 5-course meal! Too much for us as the children can’t each that much at night after the buffet breakfast and then a mountain lunch but it did look very good.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Apologies, not very helpful but any mention of vegetarian or veganism always reminds skiing in Cervinia many years ago. It was one of those really bottom end of the market trips. There were two large groups in the hotel. My family and another group who might have been a family of adults. They did not seem to be aware that you get what you pay for and were constantly carping and complaining. One of the group was a vegetarian and let everybody know. It was in the days when clearly a lot of the continent did not seem to understand vegetarianism. I'm afraid what we found funny were the meals he got served. A pyramid of peas, and nothing but peas, about 10cm high! I wondered if his meals were genuinely a lack of vegetarian knowledge on the part of the kitchen or merely a reaction to his carping.

On another trip in Austria, our son had declared himself vegetarian and he was served omelettes pretty much the whole week, sometimes with mushrooms. A few years later he lost his vegetarianism. Bacon sandwiches broke him!
latest report
Myself and my GF are plant based and have found that the only way to do this is to do self catering.

Get a decent apartment on airb&b or booking.com and use the local supermarket.

You also save a *vast* amount of money.

The Germanic countries just don't do "vegan" well, in the tourist places, unless you get very lucky. The Italians are better but you get pasta pasta and more pasta which is also not very good for you (unless you are one of the "Brighton-type ideological vegans" who eat trade packs of doughnuts Smile ).
snow report
Forage weeds from the roadside.
latest report
Quote:

one of the "Brighton-type ideological vegans" who eat trade packs of doughnuts

If it's with good coffee, count me in Razz
snow report
I've been Veggie for about 25 years, had no problem at all when staying in catered chalets.
snow report
@Whitegold,
Quote:

Forage weeds from the roadside.

Have you tried Digitalis Purpurea? Delicious. wink
ski holidays
@PeakyB, Laughing
snow report
@PeakyB, Very Happy Toofy Grin
snow report
We took 2 vegan friends to our apartment in Thollon Les Memises and they lived on cheese free veggie pizza which they were really happy with. Our favourite restaurant in the village is very accommodating and will do vegan if you let them know in advance but other than that it's not good for vegans, or veggies for that matter. Luckily we're only 6 miles from Evian where there are vegan menus a plenty.
latest report
homphomp wrote:
.. our vegan pretty much lived on chips for lunch

Probably fried in the same oil as the schnitzel. Razz
snow report
Gaza wrote:
homphomp wrote:
.. our vegan pretty much lived on chips for lunch

Probably fried in the same oil as the schnitzel. Razz

Matter of interest, is there a problem with this? It's not an allergy thing.
ski holidays
Vegan cheese must be the most disgusting thing I've ever eaten.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy