Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Will my Bindings Fall Off?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
After a few botched 'pro' jobs over the years, I had a go at mounting my own bindings using a hand drill, templates and online guides. How hard could it be?

Plugging the old holes was pretty straightforward, as was measuring and drilling the new ones. I did have one mishap where the drill collar slipped and I went slightly too deep on one hole, however it didn't hit the base so I assume this is fine.

However, I came up against a bit of a difficulty with the bindings not sitting flush after mounting (Marker Barons). Reading around, it was suggested that the topsheet material had likely 'volcanoed' and this was lifting the binding up off the ski. I had countersunk the holes slightly to prevent this, but obviously not enough. I had already glued the screws in with blue evostik woodglue.

The part I am unsure of is what I did next - I unscrewed the bindings, shaved off the volcanoes, put another dot of glue into the holes and screwed them back in, making sure to find the old thread. They sit flush now and seem solid, but will this process of screwing and unscrewing have weakened them significantly, or is it ok as they just went back into the old threads? I'm a decent holiday skier who skis fairly hard, but I'll not be hitting any serious drops or jumps etc.

Any info/experiences would be handy! Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
element wrote:
After a few botched 'pro' jobs over the years, I had a go at mounting my own bindings using a hand drill, templates and online guides. How hard could it be?

Sounds like you botched it pretty well yourself there!
They will probably be fine from what you've stated, but how can anyone really tell?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There's no problem with that. That's not a botch job and I occasionally have to do the same thing as different ski constructions react differently. The key is not to power drive/over torque the screws so that if they need to be removed they can still be torqued-up correctly again.

One issue with that binding (and the other models in that family/range) is that the plastic tabs within the heel base plate holes (which hold the screws in place during transit) often bend down when putting the screws in to the ski meaning that the base plate won't sit flat on the top sheet - so it's a good idea to remove/drill out the tabs first. It'd be far better if Marker supplied those screws in a bag like they do for the toe screws. Plus they still often fall out of the base plate and then out of the gaps in the sides of the box rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@uktrailmonster, rather botch it myself for free than pay for the pleasure!

@spyderjon, thanks very much for the info.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@spyderjon, I feel your pain on this one
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
element wrote:

Agree
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am sure somebody, somewhere will have done it but I reckon if you attached something to a couple of those binding screws and pulled whilst the ski was restrained at either end then the ski would be near to snapping before they ripped out. @spyderjon, I reckon you are the man to set that up Laughing Would be interesting to see.
I have mounted loads of my own bindings and the only failure I have had was when the whole post on the mushroom type thing in a salomon 347 (? 80's version ) snapped off, leaving me skiing on one ski. Screw n ever budged Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
element wrote:

Absolutely! There are a couple of shops I trust to do it properly, but some are useless. I've had 2 shops (both well known on here) mess up mountings with completely the wrong sole lengths. I took a punt with Glisshop mounting on my new skis and they seem good.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just to revisit this for anyone else in the same spot - I've done 6 days of fairly lively skiing this week and they aren't showing any signs of falling off, touch wood.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy