Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

For those that fly with boots as hand luggage...

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks folks, think I might split the pair between our hold bags (Mrs agw doesn't ski). There is an option to increase the baggage allowance to 25kg for £9 each way but we'll have a weigh-in this weekend to try and keep it below 20kg each.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
marksymoo wrote:
I've not had mine weighed before, but I have seen other people have theirs weighed.. Mostly backpacks that appears to be stuffed full of items, and I've seen a briefcase weighed at check in too. Guess it's the luck of the draw/who serves you.

I'd have thought if a person travelling with you is under the 5kg hand luggage allowance, then common sense of pooling this weight across a party would be acceptable, much like their hold luggage. May be worth checking with them? (and hoping you don't get someone having a bad day!)

^^^^^^
This... I had a nightmare last year at Manchester travelling with Thomas Cook... they were militant on me rolling eyes I had ski boots that fitted perfectly in a cabin sized "wheeled case" but came in just too heavy at weigh in for hand baggage... I then had to put one boot in my check in bag which took this over weight and they charged me for the excess weight on my checked in baggage! The combined weight of our entire party was below the allotted "pooled weight" but they still wouldn't budge... cost me an extra £20 quid Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Spike107, @agw, fly BA …. 23kgs cabin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I’m planning to use cabin baggage only in February on an EasyJet flight, and I’d prefer to take my own boots & helmet - luggage size limits are specified, but they say there is no weight limit. Can anyone verify? I think I can manage with 1x 56x45x25 and 1x 45x36x20, as long as I don’t pack it too heavy to actually lift the case into the overhead!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have packed over 20kg in a pull along on easyjet and BA, never had any problems.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Amunah, it is very clear on the easyjet website. No weight liimit
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There is a good reason for weight limits on hand baggage.

I've been delayed on a flight because someone's poorly stashed bag of ski boots fell out of the open locker and hit an elderly passenger on the head during the boarding melee when everybody fights over the limited locker space. He complained to the cabin crew and in the end wasn't allowed to fly in case his head injury was a problem. Needless to say he and his wife were mightily pissed off.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@marksymoo, understand your pain about your PC, my screen is large and great for work etc but the slightest pressure and I am in trouble. Before now I have had it in a large softish bag, inside the carry-on and then once past the check-in have whipped it out and carried it, then if they get stroppy at the gate, I let them take the carry-on, as at least I know it should get on the correct plane, but keep my PC safe. @skimastaaah, my Keepall 55 does not have the stretch needed but like yours mine is now very old and after seeing your post, I worked out is has now cost me just £20 per year since new, not bad at all.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Cheesie168, Absolute bargain! Plus there is always that "cachet" about having a LV boot bag Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
agw wrote:
There is an option to increase the baggage allowance to 25kg for £9 each way

I did not see that anywhere in the crystal blurb - I've been mildly panicked about these hand luggage weight restrictions with Tui (far too used to easyjet packing). I shall be booking the extra weight. Cheers for the info snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Glad the thread has become useful for some people Smile

My goto gear bag has been dispatched so once it arrives I’ll throw some photos up and see if I can get it to fit within the dimensions Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kittya wrote:
agw wrote:
There is an option to increase the baggage allowance to 25kg for £9 each way

I did not see that anywhere in the crystal blurb - I've been mildly panicked about these hand luggage weight restrictions with Tui (far too used to easyjet packing). I shall be booking the extra weight. Cheers for the info snowHead

You can upgrade to 30kg on TUI as well for £18 each way (you normally get an email offering flight extras about 8 weeks before you fly).

Just bear in mind that the maximum single bag limit is 23Kg.

With regards to hand luggage, I've previously only ever had my bag weighed at check-in so I normally just have my boots and paperwork in my hand luggage at check in - and my jacket pockets stuffed with everything else to go in it.

Once checked in the bag gets filled.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ok, so that bag has just arrived. Boots fit in it fine, weight comes in at 5.4Kg though... so I'm not really sure what to do about this now.

Helmet won't go in the bag and fit within the dimensions on TUI or Flybe's site. I could put my helmet in the hold luggage I guess, but I've always been concerned about doing that with baggage handlers throwing cases around.

Was toying with the idea of getting a larger ski bag and then putting the boots in with them, in a hope they'd be a bit more careful with skis.... but, same problem - if the skis go missing, so do the boots.

Argh!

I think I'm going to train it / drive it from 2020 onwards
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
20l Dakine Heli Pack from about 8 years ago fits at least the following for me most trips:

Snowboard boots - in main section
goggles - in top pouch
snowboard pants - in front section
helmet - hanging off backstraps
gloves - hanging or stuffed in somewhere
whatever else needs to be stuffed inside the boots (e.g. socks, underwear, baselayers, phone charger, etc.)

Coupled with wearing your jacket, thats pretty much everything you need to get on the mountain bar the board/skis and bindings
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nope - it's not wide enough!
latest report
marksymoo wrote:
Ok, so that bag has just arrived. Boots fit in it fine, weight comes in at 5.4Kg though... so I'm not really sure what to do about this now.

Helmet won't go in the bag and fit within the dimensions on TUI or Flybe's site. I could put my helmet in the hold luggage I guess, but I've always been concerned about doing that with baggage handlers throwing cases around.

Was toying with the idea of getting a larger ski bag and then putting the boots in with them, in a hope they'd be a bit more careful with skis.... but, same problem - if the skis go missing, so do the boots.

Argh!

I think I'm going to train it / drive it from 2020 onwards

I travel with my helmet in my hold luggage but I have seen plenty of people with their helmets attached to their carry on luggage (usually a rucksack type thing). I guess, if they ask about it you could always wear it!? I'm positively sure that 5.4kg on a 5kg hand luggage allowance will be fine. You'd have to be mightily unlucky to get pulled up on that.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 4-01-19 16:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@marksymoo, clip the helmet to the outside of your carry-on. Its not part of your allowance size then. lots of people do it.
snow conditions
@Fridge03, I’ve had a helmet damaged from placing it in hold luggage. The case was probably dropped or thrown which caused a large crack in the outer shell which got binned.

I now just strap it to my rucksack or the top handle of my wheelie cabin case and never had issues.
snow conditions
Ozboy wrote:
@Fridge03, I’ve had a helmet damaged from placing it in hold luggage. The case was probably dropped or thrown which caused a large crack in the outer shell which got binned.

I now just strap it to my rucksack or the top handle of my wheelie cabin case and never had issues.

I have been thinking about doing this since our last trip. Is a helmet that’s strapped to the outside of something just as susceptible to damage? Banging against things etc.
I guess damamge this way would probably be more superficial. But it does also save quite a bulky item going in the hold baggage.
snow conditions
@Fridge03, it does get knocked around a bit but just superficial. When strapped to my back mine is at the right height to hit my 7YO daughter in the head every time I turn around - so be careful around other people kids! My wife chooses to put her’s in the cloth ski helmet bag.
snow report
Yeah, I typically always clip my helmet onto my bag. I think perhaps this goto snow gear bag is large, and it'd be more likely to be pulled up to see if it fits / weighed. I might keep it to store my gear in, I've not decided yet. It's a lovely bag, but it is large! With the helmet clipped on the outside of this bag, there's no way both would go in the sizing things they have at the gates etc. I don't know if that's a requirement, as typically both my helmet and ski backpack that I take as hand luggage usually go in fine.

Decisions.... decisions... !Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy