Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche Airbag Systems

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm planning on doing some off-piste skiing for the first time this year, for which I plan to hire a guide and get some instruction on technique, etc., etc....

Meanwhile, I've been doing a bit of research on the saftey equipment side of things, and have come across rucksacks which include an 'avanche airbag system'. They're pretty pricey, but I understand one can hire, rather than buy.

Does anyone know much about this bit of technology? I've found manufacturers websites, full of the normal marketting blurb - but no reviews or independent info on whether they actually work/are worth considering Puzzled

Cheers.....
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Piste security people in several resorts now have them as a mandatory part of their uniform. Many off piste teachers and guides also wear them. Such people would not use them unless they had confidence in them.

For your first week off piste you should be thinking more about avalanche transceivers. The Ski Club has lots of good information about equipment and safety. As you are asking about equipment I suggest starting with this page, it discusses transceiver, shovel and probe. They should be considered the primary safety gear. A good off piste teacher or guide will insist that you have a transceiver and will probably lend you one at no extra cost when under their instruction. If the guide/teacher does not then think seriously about getting someone else! Make sure you get some instruction and some practice at searching with the transceiver.

For more information on safety and equipment also look at Pistehors and Henry's Avalanche Talk.

Which resort are to going to? Probably someone here in Snowheads could give you ideas on which ski schools and guides to consider.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Adrian, Hmmmmmm, surley if you're using your transiever you're looking for someone buried? If you use your A.B.S. you've a greatly improved chance of not being buried. Food for thought. For me, why not use A.B.S. I strongly feel we all should. Little Angel
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have, and wear an ABS bag. I've never had to use it in 'anger' but everything I have read and heard over the years has convinced me that the system works and is worth wearing when off piste.

Here in Canada for liability reasons you get two handles and gas bottles, and you have to test fire one set and return the empty bottle & handle with a signed sheet confirming that you have tested your bag. Then both you and the manufacturer are certain that the inflation system works.

As SMALLZOOKEEPER observes, with an ABS bag you should stay on top of flowing snow.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Are you guys proposing having an ABS bag instead of a transceiver? Everyone else I have heard says ABS bags are good in the second line of equipment, but the transceiver, probe and shovel should be first.

If you are using your transceiver wisely you are taking great care to not be in an avalanche. The goal should be safe travel and safe skiing and reducing the groups exposure to risky areas. If risky areas are to be skied then go one by one, stopping in the safest places you can find. Not all avalanches have nicely flowing snow. If, and I hope it never happens, you are in an avalanche and the snow around you stops then you will also stop. If more snow falls from above then it will likely pile up on top regardless of the wearing of an ABS bag.

Gentlemen, please forgive me for ducking out of this discussion but I am about to turn off my computer and actually go skiing; to Val d'Isere. Back in about 10 days.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Adrian,

I don't think that anyone is proposing an airbag instead of a transceiver, they are complimentary 'tools'.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
colinmcc, ditto. Little Angel
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Which resort are to going to? Probably someone here in Snowheads could give you ideas on which ski schools and guides to consider.

Adrian:
I'm going a little off the beaten path (forgive the pun), to Hemsedal in Norway. I've been told that the off-piste very easily accessible, and so though this might be the trip to give it a bash. It's only a small resort, so I'm not sure how much choiec they'll be of instructors/guides. If anyone has any pointers though, that would be great.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am in the process of investing in ABS for both of us... Davos is the avalanche epicentre and they insist all guides wear them as of this (or last) year.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
First line of defence is avoiding avalanches - maybe 300 - 400 quid on abs would be better invested in professional guiding / avalanche awarness courses. As already said transceiver, probe , shovel first - but these are no good unless you can use them - get trained. I also wonder if ABS , avalungs , digital transceivers, etc lead people into a false sense of security - look at the number of fatalities this season! I'm not syaing these devices are not good, I never ski without transceiver, probe, shovel or skis. No firsthand experience of ABS but most guides seem to use them now.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy