Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl vs St.Anton

Poster: A snowHead
How do these 2 resorts compare for Restaurants, Red runs and being snow sure?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very similar.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Very similar.

thanks, is 1 more for stag partys than the other?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ischgl more snowsure more table dancing and lap dancing.

St Anton has a larger connected area now the Lech link is in.

But not much in it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The piste skiing is better in Ischgl.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Fewer hoorays in Ischgl, but more drunken swedes.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I spent a week in both this January, there were more legless drunks in St Anton this year. I felt the skiing was better in Ischgl but that was down to the condition for each week.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
St Anton has better connected skiing between the villages, Ischgl needs buses to say Kappl, Galtur or See - that said more than enough to keep you happy in Ischgl/Samnaun. Apres great in both places with more live music in St Anton.
The pistes are in better condition in Ischgl.
If on a stag head to Ischgl as the last thing st Manton needs is another group of blokes NehNeh
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Steilhang wrote:
Fewer hoorays in Ischgl, but more drunken swedes.

what does fewer hoorays mean please? Puzzled
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@NewSki, hoorays = hooray henrys, I am sure you can find a good definition on line.

Define a "red run"? What is a red in one place might be black elsewhere, and in another blue?

Ischgl is probably a bit more piste orientated though given that it would now be compared to the whole Arlberg area that might not really be true any more. St Anton itself is definitely more off piste and ski routes, you ski there if you want to be challenged. For me the biggest downside of Ischgl is that a very high proportion of the skiing is above the tree line, often well above. Great for reliable snow conditions much less good in poor weather. The runs (theoretically red) down to the village are probably best avoided unless you are a pretty competent skier. That said in good weather it is a great place to ski.

The Arlberg area also does not have that much skiing below the tree line but somewhat more than Ischgl.

St Anton, Zurs and Lech have more tradition, Ischgl can feel a bit plasticy. Personally I prefer the apres ski in St Anton to Ischgl but the occasional visit to the Mooserwirt is more than enough for me, much better to be on the first lift than spending time in bed recovering from the night before.

If fine dining is your thing then Lech might be a better option than either though you will need a hefty budget.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Best do both
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
agree with dr lawn!!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I much preferred Ischgl to St Anton in every way. If you're a piste skier, then Ischgl is FAR better.

Apres is better as well.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
St Anton sucks. Don’t go. Book Ischgl now.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Exactly, book Ischgl today.
And stay away from Lech as well
latest report
Ischgl sold out to the mass market in the 90's >>> and destroyed 1000's Hectares pristine Off Piste to New Lifts & Carpet Skiing. BAD very BAD.
ski holidays
Lucrative, VERY lucrative.
ski holidays
Been to both several times. don't listen to the siren voices: st anton every time - esp now it links to Zurs/Lech
snow conditions
Both are great resorts and deserve patronage. St Anton receives a big tick in the box for its easy rail access.
latest report
HoneyBunny wrote:
I much preferred Ischgl to St Anton in every way. If you're a piste skier, then Ischgl is FAR better.

Apres is better as well.

I don't claim to be an expert but my general impression is that the off piste is better as well as a result of it being less skied. We were certainly skiing untracked stuff which would be skied out in St Anton a day or two after a snow fall.
snow conditions
St Anton is an awful place to ski. Truly lousy pistes, yobs everywhere and can’t move for Henry’s and Henriettas. Ischgl is far better in every way, go there @NewSki,
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
Ischgl sold out to the mass market in the 90's >>> and destroyed 1000's Hectares pristine Off Piste to New Lifts & Carpet Skiing. BAD very BAD.

...because most visitors to Ischgl at the time wanted piste skiing rather than off-piste. Times have changed though so in 2013/14 the resort spent loads putting in the Piz Val gondola to open up the whole Fimba valley freeride area.
snow report
@Mjit, Another Lift !!

That used to be a hiking area..
snow report
stanton wrote:
@Mjit, Another Lift !!

That used to be a hiking area..

Well boo hoo for the 1% of locals and tourists that affects.
snow report
I've skied about six weeks in the Arlberg (usually based in Lech rather than St Anton) and I'm going to Lech again for the pre-Christmas week. For the Christmas week I've decided to try somewhere new so I've booked the Hotel Arnika in Ischgl. Anyone stayed there? Lots of places seemed to be full and I got the last double room in the Arnika so didn't have long to do any research on the place. Let me know if you think it's okay - I can cancel my booking easily for the next month or two.
ski holidays
Its a nice hotel in a central location.
latest report
Its a nice hotel in a central location.
latest report
Valkyrie wrote:
I've booked the Hotel Arnika in Ischgl. Anyone stayed there?

Not stayed there but should be a good spot. You're at the north end of the main (largely pedestrian) road through town and above the north east part of town, so good access to everything with minimal late night noise.

Just below the hotel it looks like you've reached the end of town but turn right and there's a (for Ischgl) cheap hire shop and also a new restaurant that was quite good and, due to being out of the way you could easilly walk in and get a table at.

Your route to/from the snow shouldn't involve too much walking either - somewhere around there is a set of escallators that take you down to the Pardatschgratbhan. They are either next to the Elisabeth of Madaline hotel.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mjit, @Corky, thanks both - info was bang on. The Arnika was in a great location, couple of minutes walk from the lift down to the tunnel to the gondola and equally close to the end of home run 3 and the centre of town. Really good hotel too - friendly, spacious and excellent food, pretty hard to fault for the money. Really loved the skiing in Ischgl too, good variety of pistes and all easily accessible. I still love Lech but I'll definitely be making return visits to Ischgl too.
snow conditions
Both resorts for the young, party set. St Manton does now have lift access to Lech. Which is a bit like building an Opera house on the outskirts of Magaluf....
ski holidays
@cameronphillips2000, having just spent a week each in Lech and Ischgl I have to say I didn't see much of the "party set" at all. Lech is a quiet place, St Anton certainly has a few rowdy bars both on and off piste but they're easily avoided if it's not your thing. Ischgl had one proper party bar on the mountain and one at the bottom. The rest of the town (certainly during Christmas week) was pretty quiet.
latest report
I was talking of St Manton not Lech. Hence my final sentence. Lech is very quiet and very classy.

I stand by my comments that both St Manton and Ischgl are party towns. This isn't a bad thing for many who choose to go there for this very reason. Ishhgl, in many ways, became the new Saux when it decided to move upmarket and is full of Swedes who can get a skinful for the price of a shandy back home. Both resorts offer enough skiing to keep the most macho of ski bores happy for a week.
ski holidays
I was in Ischgl before Christmas and was reminded how unpleasant I find the actual "village" (the skiing is perfectly good). There are many apres bars both by the Silvrettabahn and the Pardatschgratbahn, none with any character and some unpleasantly tacky (ie Schatzi). St Anton is far superior both for skiing and apres ( though Ischgl does not have the drunken clowns trying to ski back in the dark after staggering out of Moser or KK) it does not feel like a manufactured "resort".

Lech is a different sort of place altogether, less of a mountain town more an exclusive mountain retreat.
ski holidays
I think that Ischgl is better if you're looking for piste skiing (reminds me of the French large areas) and a nice 4* hotel. 90% of the town is 4* hotels and I think that like for like it's a bit cheaper than St Anton(i/e/ 4* hotel with spa vs 4* hotel with spa). OTOH St Anton has much more places that are basic BB rooms and cost less so you can spend less on your hotel. Also, I think it's easier in St A to get a cheaper meal, Ischgl has more fancier restaurants.
The skiing in St A is more spread out and the pistes tend to get bumpier.
They're both great but the vibe is quite different (and that's a good thing)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy