Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Julier Pass to St.Mortiz - Feeling lucky Punk?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Driving 2WD car - 4 adults - from Calais to St.Moritz. end of Jan 19 - in one hit - needs dictate we cant overnight, - we are aware of the car train into St.Moritz for 44CHF, which
would be the sensible option IF weather looks dodgy. We've read, other forums indicating that Winter tyres are compulsory and chains mandatory if the Police enforce their use on
the pass. The Weather en-route with dictate our choice but do any regular users of the pass have some detail/knowledge to help us make a decision.

I think I know your answers - (leave car in Chur and train by foot to resort) but just curious as to what seasoned drivers have to say.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The pass is more than 2,200m high and twisty, with a few unguarded drop-offs, so driving over it in January, most likely in the dark sounds like a bad idea - I'd take the Vereina shuttle train whatever the weather, even with winter tyres.
Also, the St. Moritz (Engadin) valley is above 1,800m, so at the very least I would really make sure I have chains and know how to fit them. Not only a matter of law enforcement, but simply of being able to reach (and leave!) your destination. Chains will be much, much cheaper than 4 round-trip train tickets from the lowlands to St. Moritz...
And frankly, I'd also try to get winter tyres, especially since you might want to use your car during your stay (the St. Moritz resorts are spread out), but I understand it is a hassle and an extra expense.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I used to drive over the Julierpass regularly in the "terrible" 1999 winter and in general it was kept clear. On the west side it is not particularly steep, a long drag, the drop down to Silvaplana is steeper. I only ever drove in daylight mind.

I had a Peugeot 405 with summer tires.

I remember the Fluela pass being a lot trickier (which is why I favoured the Julier pass). I did have chains in the boot - but never got them out all winter. Fluela I had a few "moments" driving over in the dark.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@davidof, ha! I had a VW Golf with summer tires. Was interesting!
Julier is no problem with winter tires and a set of chains.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
and I should point out that despite it being a very snowy winter I never encountered snow on the Julier pass whereas the Fluela often had snow on it but I could shift the day I drove on to avoid bad weather.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@davidof, when I was in my Golf it was in a snowstorm. 100% snow cover on the road... On the way back the Swiss police were waiting at the top and sending everyone without chains back down to Silvaplana.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We drove over it in our motorhome several winters ago but must admit that I never realised it was anywhere near 2200m. It's a very easy drive for the height and that was shortly after a huge dump.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Steilhang wrote:
@davidof, when I was in my Golf it was in a snowstorm. 100% snow cover on the road... On the way back the Swiss police were waiting at the top and sending everyone without chains back down to Silvaplana.

I'm not surprised. I read that the Fluela is no longer open in the winter. I'm amazed I drove over it, it is nearly 2500 meters altitude!

Golf is probably better than a 405 in snow but I drove that car all over the alps and Pyrenees, very pleasant albeit a bit thirsty when you pushed it.

Nowadays if it snows, I stay at home.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BoardieK wrote:
that was shortly after a huge dump.

the advantages of a motor home with its chemi-lav, I guess.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@davidof,
Quote:
I read that the Fluela is no longer open in the winter.
It's not closed for the winter, only for bad weather. Currently 'closed until further notice'
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Steilhang wrote:
@davidof,
Quote:
I read that the Fluela is no longer open in the winter.
It's not closed for the winter, only for bad weather. Currently 'closed until further notice'

When I lived in Davos I remember they were building a rail tunnel which I think would relieve the Fluela in winter, if I remember correctly.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy