Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flights booked to Salzburg Jan 5th

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I am looking for resort recommendations for next Saturday. I have booked a hire car so are fairly flexible. My shortlist is Zillertal valley, Saalbach, Flachau and Schladming but there may be others that I have not thought of. I am going to Kaltenbach in Feb and I really enjoy the very accessible and easy off piste. Have also been to Saalbach in the past and enjoyed it.
I am veering more towards Flachau or Schladming as they have more snow forecast and have never been to either.
From reading previous threads Flachau seems to have better Apres ?
The local mountain ( or 4 mountains ) in Schladming is bigger ?
Which would have the most accessible off piste ?
Is there anywhere else that I should consider ?
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you have a Hire Car booked then go to the Ski Amade which includes Flachau and Schladming, plus Hochkonig and Gastein Valley. Plenty of "Easy" Off-piste in Gastein, Grossarl, Kleinarl and Zauchensee. Less so in Flachau/Wagrain unless you get a guide, Schladming has steeper pistes, which with a bit of snow soon transform into challenges of their own. One lift pass for all. https://www.skiamade.com/en/winter/skiresorts/ski-amade

Schladming is a large town and the Apres tends to be a bit limited close to the piste. Flachau better but in true Austrian Style, people tend to have a few beers at the bottom of the hill then head of to Chalets/Apartments. Flachau does have some great bars that stay open longer. For solo action you might want to look at staying in Wagrain.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks like flangesax has availability based on the Facebook post.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm curious, approx what is the going rate per person, per night in Aus, either in a resort or a satellite town

for a 3 star hotel, two sharing a room, HB basis

January , duration six nights
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NickyJ wrote:
Looks like flangesax has availability based on the Facebook post.

Not sure how to link to specific post but scroll down a bit to the advert with toys in the picture

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=8488257533&ref=content_filter
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes Haus Suzanne aka flangesax (austrian-adventures.com) have some availability that week. Great central location for the whole of Ski Amadé, very easy with a hire car. Looks like we are getting the best of the snow next week too. Bonus!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you stay in Flachau it will be party central for the ladies world cup night slalom. Great night.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@NickyJ, Do you know if there is a bus service from Radstadt to Flachau as I enjoy a few apres beers
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The locals will be able to answer better, as we are hiring a car when we stay therein February. It looks like there is bus service but I don’t know if it operates in the evening, wasn’t what we were looking for.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Dublin 2.

It depends on where you stay inevitably. But on average what you have asked for will come in at between €400 and €550pp. Lift passes are not that much cheaper than France but I find the real saving is on Piste where Food and Beverages (certainly in Ski Amade) are at least 15% cheaper than France, which is significant when you're family skiing. If you go self-catering, which a lots of visitors to Austria do, then a 4-8 Bed apartment will cost you anything from €1000 - €3000 per week depending on quality and facilities. So Haus Susanne would be a great option.

@nevergreenterrace. Yes there is. Regular Post Bus 522/523 which runs pretty frequently but not after 18.30 and the Ski Season service, which has the same (relatively) early return. Link Here: https://www.skiamade.com/skibusplane/2018-2019/ssw/skibus_flachauwinkl_hs_22.12.18-15.3.19.pdf
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I love it when you lot do my work for me wink

I can't really add a lot to this other than in Radstadt a car is best for access to many areas within 20 minutes but there are busses as all chatted about above.
It is hard to fit in a heavy apres session and bus back unless you get the first bus out and then go for the famous Dampfkessel song at 15:00 in Flachau!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I love it when you lot do my work for me wink

I can't really add a lot to this other than in Radstadt a car is best for access to many areas within 20 minutes but there are busses as all chatted about above.
It is hard to fit in a heavy apres session and bus back unless you get the first bus out and then go for the famous Dampfkessel song at 15:00 in Flachau!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@flangesax, I def want to try your place in the future but it doesn't suit for this trip. I am looking for something in the centre of a town. Still torn between Kaltenbach and Flachau. Both have done well from the recent snow and more forecast to come. The opportunity to experience a world cup race is a big draw towards Flachau.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@nevergreenterrace, go for Flachau then...the last 2 days have dumped down. Buy your ticket for the race the day before from the lift pass office . More expensive on the gate. Be ready to hike up the side of the piste, dress warm...ski gear...and use the ropes to haul yourself up the steep section...then slide back down on your backside
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy