Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vigo di Fassa, Dolomites

Poster: A snowHead
Booked Innsbruck flights and an apartment for a week in Vigo di Fassa. From 13th January 2019. Will book a hire car to get there.

Only done a few days in the Dolomites previously (Cortina & Madonna di Campiglio) so really looking forward to it.

Any hints/tips/thoughts? Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If the weather is good, my advice would be to ski like a mad bhasterd all week!

First lift is quite early so no excuses!

The runs down into Pozza di Fassa are excellent and quite, should be particularly so in January. There's a restaurant on the Buffaure red called Soldanella that is excellent.

Some might find it a challenge but it is more than possible to get round the sella ronda from there even with a decent lunch stop.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great spot to be with a car to access a huge amount of skiing up & down the valley and around the Sella Ronda linked areas. Weather & snow conditions will dictate where you'll go & how much you'll see, but you will enjoy it.

You have a choice of 3 liftpass options in order of ascending price and area covered: Val di Fassa/Carezza, Valle Silver & Dolomiti Superski.

The local area Catinaccio is small, but with the spectacular backdrop of the mythical Catinaccio/Rosengarten range. You can ski it out in half a day, but the Thoni red back to Vigo is a lovely sweeping run down through the forest.

From Innsbruck you will cross the Brenner (1370m) and the Costalunga (1745m) passes, but Austrian hire cars have winter tyres and both are important routes that are kept clear or cleared quickly, so you should be OK except in the worst weather. There is a lower altitude route that avoids the Costalunga in snowy weather, you stay on the A22 to Ora, then SS48 over to Cavalese and up the valley to Vigo.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you like exploring and travelling long distances on skis I would suggest getting the Dolomiti Superski pass, as that opens up everything in the area.

Some daytrips you might consider:

1. The Hidden Valley of Armentarola (via Alba Funifor)
2. Marmolada, the highest point in the Dolomites (via Alba or Canazei)
3. The 'James Bond' run to Ortisei (via Campitello)
4.The World War I tour, can combined with Hidden Valley or Marmolada depending on which way you do it. (via Fedaia Pass road beyond Alba)
5. The Sella Ronda, can be done clockwise or anti-. It's often the busiest part of the area, but if you've never done it... (via Campitello, Canazei or Alba)
6. Up the side valley from Moena, Alpe Lusia & Passo San Pellegrino are very worthwhile ski areas.(via the San Pellegrino Pass road)
7. If you're a really quick skier, from Pozza you can now ski all the way to the 'White Church' aka Santa Croce above Badia/Pedraces and back again. (starting at Buffaure gondola in Pozza)

These will all require a short drive to the appropriate lift base (in brackets).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bit of a video on the area from cameronphillips2000 here

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2858512&highlight=#2858512
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Wow! Some great info there - thanks for all of that Very Happy. We love covering the miles, so can't wait. Sounds like the car will be handy and it's Dolomiti Superski R us!

If any more info, keep it coming wink

We've booked a self catering apartment so will eat in some of the time. We're assuming VDF will be a small place but that there'll be somewhere to grab the obligatory pizza & have an apres beer or two. (And buy some groceries.)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, Vigo is a village on the hillside that has expanded with the growth of tourism, has a few hotels, shops, 2 small Coop supermarkets and a few restaurants. Neighbouring Pozza is a bit bigger and has a bit of a town centre with a full range of amenities. I've had good service from Gross Sport ski shop there. There is a large Coop at the southern end of Moena, if you want to do a bigger shop. Maybe stocking up at a Lidl on the way from Innsbruck might save a bit of cash, there are stores at Vipiteno (Sterzing), Bressanone (Brixen) & Bolzano South, not too far from Motorway exits.

The busiest spot for apres used to be the Rosengarten pub in the old part of Canazei near the home run. Canazei is also fairly lively in the evenings. It used to be the drinking games with the Danes & Russians in the Lieber Augustin or jiggling with the cool Italian Dolce & Gabbana set in the Husky Piano Bar, but that all may have changed now.

I stayed at Pera at the far end of Pozza in 2017. But this was my trip report when I visited Canazei in 2009, most of the info still applies, though the prices will have increased.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=1131915
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
albob wrote:
bit of a video on the area from cameronphillips2000 here

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2858512&highlight=#2858512

Where is this 'Gannet's Eye' he's talking about? Puzzled

Oh, he means Canazei...which apparently is actually pronounced more like 'Cannot Say!' wink

http://youtube.com/v/kKL6RNp6E4Q

Not as funny as what one fellow skier called it...it sounded like 'Gay Nazi'...now that's a contradiction in terms!! Shocked Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
"Where is this 'Gannet's Eye' he's talking about? Puzzled "

Wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
albob wrote:
Wink

There is a joke, but only works with something approaching the correct pronunciation...

Bob's mate: Where are you going skiing this year, Bob?

Bob: Canazei (cannot say)!

Bob's mate: Oh, go on tell me...where are you going?

Bob: Canazei!!!

Bob's mate: Oh well, if you're going to be like that....
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
^^^^Doesn't work at all for us Norverners! wink

...a bit like my Cockney mate's joke: Q: Did you hear what happened to the Avon Lady?

A: Max Factor... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We are heading out to Canazei on the 19th, just started the snow watch now.

We also did a week in Selva a couple of years ago and found a great guiding service, it may have been free or cost about 10Euro a day but then that may have been a tip I can't really remember. The guide was a retired local instructor who took out groups of about 6 to 8 people, minimum standard for the tour was confident and reasonably fast on a black so there were no stragglers holding the group back. We spent three days with him and ended up at the apri bar with him on these days too. It was a great cheap way to get to know the entire sella ronda quick, so worth checking out if the offer that service wherever you end up.

He also took us to great lunch spots too.

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/trentino-alto-adige/trento/canazei.html
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Love the Dolomites! Been to Vigo do Fassa quite a few times, in fact it’s where I learnt to snowboard. Another ski area to explore is Latemar about 30 mins down the valley...just another option! https://www.latemar.it/en/winter/home-page-winter
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JimboS wrote:

We also did a week in Selva a couple of years ago and found a great guiding service, it may have been free or cost about 10Euro a day but then that may have been a tip I can't really remember. The guide was a retired local instructor who took out groups of about 6 to 8 people, minimum standard for the tour was confident and reasonably fast on a black so there were no stragglers holding the group back. We spent three days with him and ended up at the apri bar with him on these days too. It was a great cheap way to get to know the entire sella ronda quick, so worth checking out if the offer that service wherever you end up.

He also took us to great lunch spots too.

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/trentino-alto-adige/trento/canazei.html

Where did you find this guiding service? It sounds fantastic.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think there was a card in the hotel and a marked meeting point near the lifts. Of course the reps know nothing about it. The guide was very good and gave ski tips throughout the day too, what did he get out of it, his tips as well as a free steak every lunchtime at each of the restaurants we stopped at.
ski holidays
I'd love to offer that kind of service, as allegedly I know my way around the area (ought to, given the number of BBs and other trip!) but sadly my better half won't let me spend more time out there Happy

Of course Luigi and cameronphillips2000 and allbob and others could all out do my knowledge. Cool
snow conditions
Only 2 weeks to go until our trip.

Can't wait as just love to try new places and our Dolomites experience to date is only a few days in Cortina and Madonna di Campiglio.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy