Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Problem bending back knee

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've taken a load of lessons and was comfortable going down the main slope in the UK indoor ski centers.
However sometimes when I go, when turning on to my toe edge, my back leg doesn't seem to bend at the knee naturally and just feels all wrong and I have to force myself to bend it.

However other times when I go on the indoor slopes it all goes well and smoothly, so I'm really confused as to what the problem is.
Any advice??
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Without seeing you ride, not easy to say. Are you twisting your upper body, that sometimes blocks the legs from bending?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Charlie256, what kind of stance angles are you using?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Richard_Sideways Regarding stance angles, in these indoor slopes they're all set the same the left and right.
I did actually think this could have something to do with it, my back leg just feels in the wrong position.

@Sitter It could be I am twisting my upper body....

One thing I forgot to mention is that on the less steep part of the slope it does come easier and more natural.

Maybe on the steeper part I'm trying to force it more by twisting my upper body?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It could be you naturally prefer a different stance to what’s set up on those boards.
After I learned I preferred duck stance for some reason so I set my board up like that
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It could be you naturally prefer a different stance to what’s set up on those boards.
After I learned I preferred duck stance for some reason so I set my board up like that
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Probably easiest to take a lesson. Indoor slopes are great if you use them correctly, but they're so easy that you can get away with lots of bad habits, and almost all of the people you will see riding there will share those habits.

Regarding the stance.. if you don't know how to set it, probably easiest to take a lesson on that too. Seriously, unless you're telling the rental place how to set the board up then it's almost always not going to be correct for you.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I’m fancying a snowboard lesson after reading this thread. Hmmm but do I dare get back on one after all this time!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Charlie256 wrote:
One thing I forgot to mention is that on the less steep part of the slope it does come easier and more natural.

The above quote reminds me of my own issues and what I think is a common learners' and intermediates' issue: fear makes you use and pressure the back leg more as it's fundamentally your braking and emergency steering mechanism. I get it more on heel edge turns, but on both I know I am prone to stiffening and tightening up through lack of confidence to let the turn flow - but only when our of my steepness comfort zone.
Also, knees are connected to hips, which also need relaxing to allow an easy overall leg bend. And feet in the wrong position (i.e. stance and angle issues) can make it difficult to bend knees easily, particularly without letting the fall inwards (depending on if you favour doing that or not).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yep, what @Grizzler said. Leaning backwards (onto back foot) was my first thought too.

As you get better at snowboarding you will be moving your weight actively around the board as you turn, but at first it's helpful to concentrate on having your weight more over the front foot to counteract ones natural tendency to lean back as the board picks up speed.

When you initiate your toe side turn, try looking for a feeling of the weight of your body being focussed through your leading hip and driving your bent knee to put pressure on your toes. That feeling will tell you your weight is where it needs to be.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks guys, I hope some of these things help!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You need too increase practise/training time like everyone else .
Without "Snowboard specific flexibility" your going to have to gain it snowboarding .
So if your only doing a week or two a season ....you need a sport specific physical reality check .

My thoughts are your locking the knee heelside before the transition starts to toeside.... and so possibly are still locked through the transition into the toeside turn.... but this is a guess .

Personal physical Flexibility and strenght through range of motion is worth more than any new equipment it must be specific to snowboarding .
The feet, ankles, lower leg chain, knees,upper legs and up through the core are a real good start where you will get out exactly what you put in .

Study flexibility/strenght to snowboard and/or ski and your going to do yourself a favour .
After all have you ever heard of a sport that requires no specific training ?

Lessons are passed off as all one needs... it even become a idiotic mantra yet lessons are really only part of the bigger picture and wont succeed without increased training time physically and on the board .

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 18-01-19 7:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi Charlie
Sounds a little like an issue my wife had turning. She feels like her stance is natural, but when trying to turn she didn't have the freedom of movement she needed. The main issue she had was that her hips were facing a little forward, rather than in line with the board. This meant that when she tried to turn her hips effectively blocked her back leg from bending. We did some exercises to relax the body and crouch a little lower - just enough to return the hips in line with the board. As Grizzler says - fear, even unconscious has an effect. You might unwittingly be turning your body to face down the hill slightly.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy