Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Magnetraction Edge Tuning

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Apologies if this has been discussed before, I couldn't find anything relevant with a search.

Looking to start maintaining my own board, I've been putting it into shops for waxing etc. since I've had it, however I'm slightly hesitant about attacking tuning with it being a Skate Banana with the mad wavy edges on it.

I see that Lib Tech will happily sell me a Magnetraction specific edging tool for 35 quid but I'm curious as to what the difference is between that and any other bog standard product. Anyone have experience tuning MTX edges? They have a few burrs on them at the moment which I would presumably just flatten carefully with a file but would appreciate any first hand experience on how best to tune/detune, edge angles etc.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The magnetraction specific tools just have a smaller file. You don’t need to do anything different to tune them.

I use a ski visions tool which works fine on magnetraction which is a step up from the quick sharpening tools, but if you want one of those there are lots that will work on magnetraction.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@hang11, ah OK, thank you. Might just get a cheapo one with as small a file as I can find then.

Do you normally need to detune the front and rear contact points? I've never really found the board to be overly 'grippy' but then again I don't want to spend a week catching edge's and washing my face with sheet ice!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I usually go with the factory detune and just take care not to go too far up the edge with the tool
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@hang11, cool thanks, will give it a go.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've a Niche board with a wavy edge (its awesome - absolutely love it). I service my own board but never worry too much about 'tuning' the edge. Unless your hitting hard pack ice, the edge will give you enough grip. I only take off the burrs with a hand held edging block. I did slightly de-tune the extremes of the contact points when I first got it. Now all I do maintain what is already there. If you'll be on snowy pistes your board will be fine. Apologies to those better informed - and I'm no expert - but I've found that tuning isn't a big issue.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy