Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First touring / all mountain setup

Poster: A snowHead
I'm an experienced piste skier comfortable in a range of conditions, although being from NZ don't get to ski in deep snow very often.

It's time to replace my skis and I am about to spend 2 or 3 months in Austria.

I would very much like to setup with skis/bindings and boots that I can use for touring in and around the resort.

I had a look in a few stores an saw some great options but was blown away at the overall cost. The new bindings with pin on the toes seem to be 400GBP and above, the boots aren't cheap either and of course a decent pair of skiis isn't cheap.

Would love to hear what the experience of others has been. I think I understand the benefit of getting the 'right' boots for me, but I would be quite comfortable buying skiis that are a season old and/or a model down from the top line skiis. The bindings I'm confused about, I can save some money if I go for a frame type binding and downhill boots with a walk mode.

What setups have others on here gone for and how have you found once you where 'out there'?

thanks,
Jonathan
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try reading some of these links to give you a feel for what you are looking for.

https://www.alpine-guides.com/ski/insider-knowledge-ski/ski-touring-equipment-advice/
https://www.evo.com/guides/how-to-buy-alpine-touring-skis

From my own perspective:
10% Touring/90% Piste skier - Go for an all mountain set up with an all mountain boot with good walk mode. Bindings, stick to those that look and ski like an Alpine binding.
90% Touring/10% piste - The other end of the spectrum. Weight is important, go light on skis and boots and "Pin" type bindings. I use this set up when touring hut to hut. Just don't go in the park with them on!

But, my top tip would be to rent and try a couple of different set ups to find what you are comfortable with. Then decide if you want to buy or not. Most Austrian resorts have plenty on offer.

Where are you basing yourself? If you're in and around Ski Amade I can show you a few more options.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you are looking at costs, get second hand skis. If they come with a Dynafit type binding or frame binding, that’s great. If not, take off whatever bindings are on there. You should be able to fit new bindings by avoiding hole clashes by mounting a cm or two either way.

Marker F10 frame bindings or Dynafit Beast 14 bindings are less than £200 now. I use my Beast 14s for skiing around the whole resort.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I started with a second set up, basically old ski's with frame bindings using existing alpine boots. Not ideal for a lot of 'up' but it does give you some tools to play with before investing a lot of £££ in new kit.

I then went Scarpa SLs with interchangeable soles. At the time I couldn't give up 'proper' piste skis which ruled out a dedicated pin binding boot. They worked well, giving enough piste performance and were ok on the up. A bit later I added Cham 95's with Radical 2 bindings to the mix and they seem good, especially the Radical 2s.

This year I've upgraded the boots to Atomic Hawks which are notably lighter than the Scarpa's but softer (colder) with it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@jonathanco, Yep, buy second hand and see what you end up doing. What part of Austria? In Innsbruck we have two or three facebook ski touring/buy & sell groups where loads of gear comes up. Or there are a few pairs listed on here. Prices are better in the UK right now, so getting kit shipped out to you in Austria might still work out cheaper.

I have 2 pairs of lightweight skis (Scott Superguide 95 and Whitedot Director CL) that fit one pair of Marker F12 EPF frame bindings. It's a heavy binding, but I can use it with my alpine boots, which means I don't currently have to shell out on new bindings and new boots.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I am in exactly same position. I know it's a smart idea to rent but can't help feeling to bite the bullet and buy shift bindings, pin boots and a pair of skins for my director CL.

@scarlet what's skins are using on the WD's?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@panaga52 It sounds like probably the 10% touring is the way to go as I'm just starting out, although we expect to get a good chunk of this season and the next. We have Ski Amade passes and will be staying in St Johann im Pongau, have a car though so can get to where you are. Doesn't sound like I would save much money looking for deals here in the UK before we come, so maybe trying a few options once I'm there is the way to go.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A pair of Alpine Trekkers and some skins is all you need to get started.

When you’ve tried it for a while decide whether it’s the uphill or the downhill you’re most interested in. If uphill then persue the pin binding route. If downhill then you have more, often cheaper, options.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you all for your advice. Sounds like my best options are to go for a downhill / frame / affordable setup. It would be naive to think I'm not going to be mostly skiing the lifts on the resort. I have to replace boots this year so will take a good look at my options regardless.

if anyone does have suggestions or advice on renting/second hand or otherwise in and around the Ski Amade area would be very keen to look at that.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@WASHOUT, Colltex Whizz skins, courtesy of @Spyderjon. Incidentally, the Superguides come with the same skins, just pre-cut.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@jonathanco. When are you heading out to St Johann? I'll be in Flachau from the 12th Jan and I'm teaching out of St Johann. The best local selection for gear is probably in Wagrain at the "Rot Weiss Rot" Ski school shop, but they'll need a couple of days warning to set you up for rental gear. Happy to meet up if you want help and haven't sorted it by the time I get there.

I quite often use Telemark-Pyrenees for my gear and find them very reliable. For example, I've just checked what you can get today. Atomic Back Land 85 2019 (I wouldn't go wider than 85 for touring) with Marker F10 Binding (more like an alpine binding) when bought as a package plus the "Festive 10" bonus is retailing now at €551.70. If you get it shipped to wherever your staying in Austria you'll save a further £80 on airline costs. In fact, F**k it, at those prices I might just buy it for myself!!

Linky Thing here: https://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/packages/atomic-backland-85-ski-2019-0
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
panaga52 wrote:

(I wouldn't go wider than 85 for touring)

Agree if the uphill or longer tours is what you enjoy, then get something 85-90mm in carbon. But otherwise any ski you enjoy skiing on will work fine.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Extreme budget option for telemark ski boots and skis (will need to get skins and crampon grips separately)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-Army-Military-Nordic-March-Ski-Boots-Alico-Sole-Telemark-Asnes-Skis/232642860077?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D55149%26meid%3D445b48d1a63d4ba7872f47d5fd09842d%26pid%3D101006%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D232642860077&_trksid=p2045573.c101006.m3226

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Asnes-Norway-Army-Skis-Shop-Display-Retro-Vintage-Shabby-Chic-VW-Mini-Rat-Look/223257013620?hash=item33fb27ad74:g:qWgAAOSwPcVVp69B:rk:10:pf:0
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jonathanco, if you’re skiing mainly lift served then get normal freeride skis as you’ll give up too much downhill performance on anything light/touring oriented. And don’t be afraid of wider skis if you want to get into off piste which you definitely should do if you’ve got 3 months in a decent area.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@jonathanco +1 ^^^^^^

I've just put this set up together , Salomon QST99 skis , Salomon Shift bindings , G3 alpinist + universal skins , and id say its the best all-round set up I've skied , boot wise there are some great free ride options with tech inserts , but fit is everything when it comes to boots , so I would recommend having them selected by a descent boot fitter rather than Internet search
snow report
@panaga52, We actually have a week in Flachau from the 11th Jan, so just around the corner form Wagrain. Will see how I go for getting boots here, will see if can get fitted at Ski Bartlett. Will see if I can hire from Rot Weiss Rot to keep me going but keen to look at any options you might know of
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy