Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon x/max replacements!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All, I will need to replace my aging X/Max boots at the end of this season. I just popped in to S&R and tried on the S/Pro Alpha 100 and they fell really quite different from the instep forwards, not really to my taste either. What would you say is the most direct replacement to the X/Max's?
Thanks
Andy, Bristol
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well the s/max was the direct replacement for the x-max , I've had both , but the s/max is definitely a lower volume foot clog than the "x" , lighter, and I'd say thinner calf - just lower volume altogether.
I don't think the latest boots have a variety between the versions ie the "max" was always lower volume than the "pro"
What did you dislike about the new ones?
What size are you ?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi @andymaxwell,
I found out last month that ski boot shells are only supposed to last 10 years no matter how little you use them.
The ski boot inner bit is only supposed to last 180 of skiing.

I bought a pair of S/Max a couple of years ago and the liners are already settling.

It may be time for new boots anyway..
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both, yeah, 10 years is my understanding too.
The s/max was lower volume in the clog than the x? wow, that's low.
The Alpha certainly did feel that it had a slightly narrower calf width than the X/max, better for my leg I thought.
>I don't think the latest boots have a variety between the versions ie the "max"
Yep, I believe you're correct.
>max was always lower volume than the "pro"
Certainly feels that way with the current pro.
I'm a size 25 (I should actually suffix my question/statements in my earlier post that I was trying on a size 26, so a 25 still needs to be tried on - but I feel I can extrapolate to a 25). It was the fit over the instep that had increased. Even though Salomon are saying (according to one review) that the heel to instep 'perimeter' is the same and they've only changed the toebox it sure feels different. I love being locked down over the top of my foot and (in the 26's at least) this wasn't so.
I appreciate your thoughts, we shall see how much has really changed once I've tried the correct size on.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Assuming you were trying on the incorrect size- did you have your regular footbed in the boot? The standard ones fitted for trying on are only of use as a firelighter .
Fit over the instep aside, I'm led to believe that in general salomon boots fit slightly long - I've actually had a 28-28.5 liner in a 27.5 shell without any punches or actual work, I reckon I could probably size down one shell size if I could be bothered. The s/max is considerably more difficult to get into than the x-max.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy