Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Generally, how well has the 2018/19 started?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just trying to get a feel for well things have started this season, generally?
Two years ago was one of the worse starts in living memory, IIRC. Even the reservoirs producing artificial snow were in danger of running dry.
Last year, I think, was a lot better.
Is this year somewhere in between? Not great but OK-ish?
I know Scotland are struggling but they often do this early in the season...

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 24-12-18 13:41; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Its been excellent in the Western Alps up high (above 2000m). This current rain band seems to be running up to 2300m so making a bit of a mess of the snowpack but the base up high will benefit. Will need a good cold dump to refresh the top layer. Doesn’t look like it’s coming this year
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Been great down in the Southern Alps - and we've not had the rain that the Northern Alps have had, again similar to last year.

I've clocked up 13 days of decent powder in the Southern Alps, which is more than last season.

Ok I've been ski touring for around 50% of the powder days, but in answer to the question, I think better than last year.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Opening week, last week, in Les Arcs was excellent. Snow depths probably average or better, very good piste conditions, reasonable off-piste opportunities, which for mid-December is always a great bonus but perhaps not something you can rely on, quiet, mix of sunny days and fresh snow. This weekend has seen rain to high levels which has taken its toll on the off-piste below 2300m, although pistes holding up reasonably well so far. Hoping temperatures drop soon.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The season so far is mixed.

Some doing very good, like Switzerland and Canada.

Some doing okay, like US and France.

Some doing real bad, like Andorra and Germany.

As in recent previous seasons, rain is smashing the lower resorts and trails in Europe and North America.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Good. Thanks.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Was above average until the recent rain/warm weather. Now back to square one, at least below 1500m or so in the northern French Alps.

But this is the new norm in general. We rode the last gondola down to St. Gervais today with the esf instructors, and one said he was glad his son wasn't going to make a living in the mountains b/c of global warming.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
slow start in British Columbia , the usual November storms were late coming , but then they arrived on the 9th December and actually haven't stop since , literally zero to hero Very Happy
seems like the rockies had a good start this year , so all in all id say a good start to season and a very. good base for the ski year to come
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all these - it's useful to have an overall perspective as well as the individual threads.
Looks like Scotland still having a bit of a mare (just a couple of short snow-cannon slopes open) but guess that's not super-unusual for early Jan.
Seems like things are looking more promising in the Alps but I haven't been watching closely.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy