Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Holes - how close?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My son wants to do some more ski touring this year, but at a short 11yrs old he skis 135 to 145.

He tried it last season, and I managed to find a shop that had touring boots in mondo 23, but he had to use 150 skis, which wasn't ideal.

So this season I have picked up a pair of 23.5 dynafits, but taking the warnings from a few people I have got some 2nd hand Diamar fram bindings instead of pins.

Yesterday I got some ex rental skis cheap from a local shop in 140cm, but when I asked about mounting the bindings the shop was not at all keen, apparently a problem with the holes.

Tonight I took the old alpine bindings off to see if the holes clashed.

The front pair are fine, no clash and a good 10mm from the old front holes.

The rear front pair of holes however may just clip the old holes, maybe within 0.5mm.

All the rear plate holes are fine.

So the question is, do you think I can epoxy fill the problem holes, after a good clean out, allow it to cure, then drill new holes for the front rear pair?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Move the boot centre a few mm ? Sometimes when you change boots with the same skis it does not come right anyway. Be a test of his adaptability and how to cope in a crisis Laughing Obviously this is a totally non qualified, unprofessional suggestion Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One option might be to use quiver-killer inserts which use an M5 machine screw to mount the binding, so the actual insert has (from memory) an ~8mm hole.
Check with The piste office (spyderjon on this forum) for advice
https://www.wildsnow.com/3853/quiver-killer-binding-mount-inserts/
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Moving the bindings a cm or two back should be ok if that works. I had some marker schizo bindings on my skis that you could move +/- 3cm, and a cm either way I couldn’t feel it.

I admire your tenacity in finding a good solution for your son. My son, then age 9 last year, tried a couple of tours using some contour startup adaptors. I cut some skins to fit his 140cm skis with a bit wrapped around the back (to use on his next skis) with a rats tail. And made a little fixing screw point.

I can’t say he was into it enough to go to a Dynafit solution, so will use the adaptors again this year. I was on the lookout for some marker F10 small frame bindings, but didn’t see any at a decent price. Maybe in a couple of years time I’ll get some Shifts for him.

Post some pics of the set up and some touring! I must admit there are some threads on TGR that I think Snowheads should have. E.g. “Mount your own fu*^ing skis” and “Ongoing kid stoke”. Maybe I’ll start them...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Themasterpiece, A DIY ski mounting thread would be a good idea! I've been doing mine and my chum's for 30 years, with and without jigs...... There's a lot of info out there, paper templates from TGR/Slidewright etc.
Not all advice is 100% sound, so could be good to highlight any erroneous tips!
You want to start it or shall I?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Themasterpiece wrote:
Moving the bindings a cm or two back should be ok if that works.

As his feet are growing, would it not be better to move the whole pattern forward a cm, this would bring the boot centre back to normal on the next boot change?
A cm or so either way would be unnoticeable in any case
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Themasterpiece, @KenX, Yes a thread would be a good idea To be honest I wasn't 100% confident with my post above that's why I made the jokey comment after Embarassed It's not just binding fitting, I have had a go at boot stretching too, would not like to do it on someone else's but I found it pretty easy and with great results. (I have this problem at the moment with my feet apparently changing shape so boots that did fit now don't rolling eyes )
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
KenX wrote:
Themasterpiece wrote:
Moving the bindings a cm or two back should be ok if that works.

As his feet are growing, would it not be better to move the whole pattern forward a cm, this would bring the boot centre back to normal on the next boot change?
A cm or so either way would be unnoticeable in any case

Great idea, thanks.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy