Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski bag recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Hi. After a bag that takes 2 pairs, want well made and well padded. Any thoughts please?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dakine fall line wheeled bag. We have 3, 190 cm ones.

The wedze at decathlon looks good as well, but the Dakine can be picked up for similar price.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We use a Dakine Tour board bag. Fits 2 pairs of skis and poles and weighs slightly less than the wheeled fall line version.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dakine fall line wheeled bag here too - easy to wheel around airports/ railway stations (especially if you are pulling another wheeled bag with ski stuff in).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
not sure if Burton make ski bags, but all their bags come with a lifetime warranty.
My snowboard bag purchased in 2014 the zipper failed on my last trip last week.
Emailed Burton photos & they said post it back for a free replacement Madeye-Smiley

I saw a few skiers with some hardshell cases. They looked quite robust.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If the zips fail on Burton then I'll avoid like the plague even if they are replaced for free. I'm another advocate for the Dakine Wheeled. I've had one for a few years and it's still going strong. Thanks for the warning @Mr.Egg,
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
To recommend a bag, first we need to know where you plan to go? Is this for pulling through a airport, throwing in a car to go to a indoor or even storing skis during the summer?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Also size of skis. Pointless buying a 2m bag if you have 1.5m skis. Do you want boots, clothes to go in aswell?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have a Burton bag, wheeled. With parallel compartment for clothes etc. At 181 height it's a ski bag, not board. Found a relevant pic here:
https://www.exxpozed.eu/unisex-taschen-burton-wheelie-board-case-true-black-17b?gclid=Cj0KCQiApILhBRD1ARIsAOXWTzudrd9ibAcay3agYKt4wFFy4rg6NL2ODnQJHycA7c1bexqo6pm6ipcaAj7DEALw_wcB#!?variant=649251
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If your main concern is protecting your skis from the baggage throwers then I'd recommend a hard Sportube case. For 2 skis you need either a Series 2, or a Series 1 with demo bindings where the toe/heal can be removed or Quiver Killer-mounted bindings.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thule Roundtrip mkeets your criteria.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@swishtony, have a look at douchebags , very compact , adjustable to ski length , well padded and they roll up small to put away neatly in room when empty , and another plus in this day of luggage weight checks they are light and therefore can hold more clobber

https://douchebags.com/the-douchebag
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have a couple of douchebags. Overall, they do the job and are good for my son’s shorter skis (bag can be rolled down the right size and isn’t flappy). I wish they had more straps and things to hold skis in place, like the Dakine fall line has. That said, once things are packed in with clothes/pants between, they don’t go anywhere. Douchebags are twice the price of a Dakine fall line, but I don’t think it’s worth that much of a premium.

I also have a sport tube series 2 but rarely use it. If it’s only for skis, fine. But if you are packing skis, boots, clothing, avi gear etc, then the sport tube itself is too heavy to begin with and it’s very awkward to pack.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@esaw1,
To be fair, they are only small tears + the bag is 4yr old.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dabber wrote:
@swishtony, have a look at douchebags , very compact , adjustable to ski length , well padded and they roll up small to put away neatly in room when empty , and another plus in this day of luggage weight checks they are light and therefore can hold more clobber

I like my DB bag a lot but they have zero padding (there are hard plastic reinforcing ribs in the bag which give some protection - maybe that's what you are thinking about?) Agree with the rest of your points. I had a Thule padded bag before which fell apart after a few years. The DB bag is better but also clearly won't last forever. It obviously got dragged across the tarmac at some point and has a couple of small holes worn in it.

A tip for DB owners - cable tie the handle to the bag otherwise it will get lost at some point. This has saved me twice.
snow conditions
turbosmurf wrote:
Dabber wrote:

I like my DB bag a lot but they have zero padding (there are hard plastic reinforcing ribs in the bag which give some protection - maybe that's what you are thinking about?) Agree with the rest of your points. I had a Thule padded bag before which fell apart after a few years. The DB bag is better but also clearly won't last forever. It obviously got dragged across the tarmac at some point and has a couple of small holes worn in it.

A tip for DB owners - cable tie the handle to the bag otherwise it will get lost at some point. This has saved me twice.

good tip re handle , I do find the construction and material of the douche bag more than adequate , all ski bags get abuse and I find the fuller the bag the less damage occurs to its contents , don't think any bag will last a lifetime
snow report
Extra long Lokker takes 2/3 pairs of skis up to 180cm (and probably a couple of cm more). I find two pairs of skis and one set of bindings, packed out with clothing and all gear meets 20 or 23kg weight limit and BA handling sizes. That’s without boots, but these can easily go as hand luggage. If weight balanced it’s a straightforward lift, but wheels do come in handy. Fairly tough construction and reasonable cost.
latest report
Dakine fall line 190 cm here too.
Just packed it for a new year trip to selva....

Layed out coats and salopettes along the bottom , put two pairs of skis and poles in , folded coats and salopettes over top of skis / poles.

Shoved in some mid layers as extra padding and a couple of big balls of bubble wrap either end to fill the gaps.

Just under the 23 kilos limit for a double bag with Crystal (Thomson Airlines).
latest report
Thanks guys and gals for all the replies! Maybe should have been clearer on exact requirements! Really to transport my skis via car to the alps but of course may fly in the future so something robust enough for that would also be ideal. Not sure I'm worried about clothing and gear though. 180cm skis. The Thule looks nice!
snow conditions
In the car the cheapest bag will do. Doesn’t need wheels even... sportsdirect for £20
ski holidays
Just for info Austrian Air will now only accept single ski bags
Had a bit of huffing at check in last year but they took them
This year its on the e-ticket that they wont
(Edinburgh - Innsbruck)
ski holidays
Ive had the plastic box which has been great.. no need to carry anything and you can put other stuff in there.. mines a double unit
snow conditions
Sorry for bumping the thread. Anybody have any experience of transporting skis on a roofrack in either a soft bag or a hardshell. I've updated my wheels and my old roof box is too short for skis. Wondering if there is an alternative to a new roofbox.
snow report
@joffy69, I've done it (soft bag), but there are better ways.....bag gets soaked on the drive back, flaps in the wind, takes a while to dry, etc. Must the skis be enclosed in anything (other than a ski rack)? Mine were bare on the roof for 30 yrs; now they're inside.
snow report
I've just found this, should anybody be interested. Looks like it will do me fine. Sportube Series 2 Double Ski Travel Case, 122cm-212cm Black "The case can be mounted to any car roof rack and can be shipped via FedEx and UPS without the need for additional special packaging."
ski holidays
@joffy69, we've used a Sportube Series 2 on the roof for a couple of trips. The only note of caution is to be careful of the total weight of 'tube + box on the roof.

We used a bike lock to lock the 'tube to the car to deter the opportunists during short-stops but took it into the hotel overnight.
ski holidays
If it's just for your skis then a Sportube offers you the best protection from the baggage throwers.

To get 2 pairs of skis in with bindings attached you'll need a Series 2 - but if you're happy removing/refitting the heal and toe pieces yourself you can get a pair of off piste and a pair of slalom skis into a Series 1, with the 4 heal/toe pieces slotted between them. That's what I do, though mainly as I only had the 1 pair of skis when I bought it and I'm too cheap to buy a Series 2 Smile Once you've learnt how to set the bindings up it's really easy, especially if you're on rail bindings.
snow report
@sheffskibod, surely coats and salopettes worth more than Skis? Skis are robust pieces of gear, no issues ever in 30 years of flying with them in snow and Rock canvas creations
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We use the Sportube2 (have 2 of them). I have seen how luggage is treated, and the damage caused. We have quite high end skis so I like the protection, and with the handle attached are easy to pull through airports etc. You can get a fair bit of extra kit in with your skis as there is space between the skis (when kids were small I even managed to get some ski boots in). Now I get all my avalanche gear in with the skis along with quite a few other odds and ends.
ski holidays
I'm looking at luggage options at the moment because i need to replace a few things and also likely to have 2 pairs of skis with me from this year. I currently have a series 1 sportube but i have a question to those who have the canvas type ones. Is it possible to get all your gear and two pairs of skis without additional luggage? Right now i normal book 1 checked bag + ski carriage, just thinking that with the right ski bag might be able to slim that down to just ski carriage and hand luggage.
ski holidays
@Russeh, what’s the question? No issues with canvas. Skis are hard bits of kit. Always take files with me if any nicks occur but very rare.
snow conditions
Also,I am a recreational skier. Perfection of edge is not really an issue.
ski holidays
@twoodwar, sorry badly explained. Basically can you get 2 sets of skis plus a weeks worth of ski clothes in a double ski bag like the Dakine fall line, without the need for additional luggage?
ski holidays
+1 on the dakine crew. 10 years lugging two pairs, sometimes three around through airports, through snow, clattering downstairs, and riding down some stairs once too Embarassed
latest report
@Russeh, basically it depends...
If you've got a 23 kg weight allowance then you ought to be fine. If you've only got 20 kg and big heavy skis, and off piste kit to carry then it might be a stretch. Simple enough to do the maths:
Bag...4 kg (assuming it's got wheels)
Skis...4 - 6 kg per pair
Bindings...2 - 3 kg per pair
At this point you've got anything from 16 - 22 kg in the bag. So 7 kg for clothes etc (easy) or 1 kg for clothes (not a lot). The deciding factor could be your hand luggage allowance.

My numbers may be a bit out, but you get the idea. I've done it easily enough, carrying boots, shell salopettes, thermals etc in my hand luggage. But my skis are on the light end of the scale and I don't take many extra clothes.
latest report
@Russeh I think mrgolf sums it up pretty well that total weight is the killer, thats why I ditched the thule wheeled ski bag @ 4kg for carrying canvas bag @ 1kg and also use quiver killers so one set of bindings for multiple skis. A decent hand luggage allocation as you get with some airlines is also help.
ski holidays
@mgrolf, @WASHOUT Thanks, ok so its more weight limited than space by the sounds of it. Odds not in my favour then as i have massive boots being a size 12 and my skis are all 180+ Laughing I'll have an add up and see if its doable or not.
ski holidays
Is the Dakine Fall Line still a good choice for 2 pairs of skis, boots and luggage? Skis and boots are light so shouldn’t be a problem staying under weight limit.
snow conditions
Has anyone had any issues while checking in a ski bag for a flight? E.g. BA website says that you can take skiing or snowboarding equipment as part of your checked baggage so long as the bag is within 190 x 75 x 65cm; however the Dakine Fall Line bag (190cm) is actually W:30cm H:20cm L:203cm. So in theory the length dimensions are bigger than what they allow for, but not sure how strict they are Puzzled
ski holidays
Never seen a measuring tape employed when checking these in. Just don’t buy a bag with the dimensions stencilled on the side as some do have!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy