Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Convenient resorts to stay OFF the resort

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I’m looking into a ski trip this spring with the family. With kids, we no longer need to be on the resort for night life etc, and are happy to forgo the charm of being in the resort to save a few pounds. Does anybody know of good European resorts where it is viable to stay out of the main resort, but get to/from the ski lifts easily each day? Ideally, this would be a long gondola from lower down the mountain or something, so we don’t have to deal with car parking etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You could try Brides les Bains for the Trois Vallees (gondola connection to Meribel) or Bourg St Maurice for Les Arcs (funicular connection).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Mrshinobi, BTW - Welcome snowHead to snowHeads.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bourg St Maurice into Paradiski
Brides les Bains into Trois Valleys.

Just two that spring to mind
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Orelle in the 'fourth ' valley. better village feel than Bride Les Bains.

Morzine

Bourg St Maurice

Les Contamines

Courmeyeur

Alta Badia there is another possibility at the bottom of the Marmolada but Alta Badia is better.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Langenfeld in otzal valley. On the bus route to soelden, obergurgl, hoch oetz. Easy drive and parking to all those resorts. To give an idea of price, we have a 3 bed apartment booked 9-16 March for €750 all in for the week. 1 hour ish from Innsbruck and 3 ish hours easy drive from Munich.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mrshinobi,
How old are the kids and what kind of other skiing do you need?
Don't forget that wherever you stay you will still need to get from your accommodation to the lift even if the lift is down the valley.
If you are wanting to save money you may well find that a smaller cheap resort saves you a lot more money.
Somewhere like Valfrejus with its very inexpensive lift pass offers great family skiing all be it not hugely extensive but not bad probably significantly cheaper than staying down the valley at Orelle and going up to Val Thorens.
You will also be much closer to your accommodation if you forget something or need to go back at lunch or grab something for a cheap picnic.
Having said that I have heard Vaujany is highly recommended for what you want and is a back way into Alpe d'Huez.
Or slightly different Briancon is a cheap way into Serre Che.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
1. Bourg St Maurice.
2. Davos.
3. Chamonix.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
To narrow down the search we'd need a bit more info. Do you plan to fly or to drive? The former is not necessarily more expensive if you are able to choose your dates (I don't know if the kids are at school) and your destination wisely, and you could then narrow your search to resorts close to your destination airport. E.g. Briançon for Turin.
Also, don't underestimate the hassle of moving from accommodation to the slopes and back with kids in tow... Kids will get cold and tired, gloves will be forgotten/lost, etc. so being able to pop by your accommodation during the day is useful. Hence, I'd rather go for a smallish place close to the slopes than a nicer place further away - my parents did that for years until I was 10 or so, even though we had free family accommodation 10 miles down the road, and it worked so much better.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lauterbrunnen - scenic 15 minute train ride to either Wengen or Mürren.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hotel Au Bon Accueil in Venosc ...the hotel has a minibus to take you to the bubble up to L2Alpes ...I enjoyed my stay ..a few years ago mind you.. but its easy to get to ..no trip up the hairpins and great food..about £50/night half board

https://www.hotelaubonaccueil.com/
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Mrshinobi, how old are the kids (in some resorts, kids ski free even up to age 10). And how will you travel (if flying, which airports?)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Mrshinobi, how far into Spring will you be going? That will dictate which resort may likely have reliable snow in the late season. Most resorts have satellite villages from which you can commute.

Do you also have a preference as to which country you want to visit? Will you be driving from the UK? Will you be flying? Which airport? Will you be hiring a car? Relying on public transport/Ski buses? What ability level are the members of the family? Beginners? Intermediates? Advanced? Will they be needing Ski School?

All these questions come into play, the more info you give, the more focused the answers will be.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We stay in Ossana in Trentino, near to a decent Gondola called the Daolasa, 10mins by car. Some hotels will have a private bus to the nearest lift, or of course a car can be used too. I have learn the value of a secure under hotel car park. We leave our skis helmets etc in the car, saves taking them out every night. I reckon one can save approx 40% per night, assuming you are ten minutes from a lift. When hiring we elect to hire an estate car, much easier to stow everything.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Look at Les Brevieres too nice little village or a little over to Val D there's La Daille.
snow conditions
Why not Aosta, really nice old town in the valley. 10 minute walk from the centre brings you to the Bubble up to Pila, nice quiet family resort. Great and cheap bus links from Aosta to Courmayeur, La Thuile etc father up the valley.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy