Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Steep On Piste

Poster: A snowHead
@under a new name,
Am I right in thinking there's just the one chair lift from the bottom? (I always used that as it rarely had big queues so worked out quicker)
I would have have thought with the cable car out of action then the access would be very busy at the bottom.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bogus question. Any resort wishing to appeal to the most punters (i.e. all of them, bar La Grave) ensures they have the magic formula on their piste map (50% blue, 30% red, 10% black, 10% green, ish), irrespective of the actual terrain available. Broadly speaking any area with topography not suited to being developed along those lines would not attract the investment required to become a resort in the first place. So "proportionally" (the OP's question), they're all more or less the same. In absolute terms, the bigger areas have more steeps.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A lot of people's memories of steep may have lot more to do with snow condition on that day. I.e 25 degrees on hard icy snow can feel worse than 35 degrees on chalky or powdery snow. So wherever you go it will depend on snow condition.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Definitely Val d'Isere/ Tignes, Ischgl, have some decent steep groomed pistes. I think St Anton's reputation more for reds steeper than what one expects from a red than steep blacks. Lee Arcs and Chamonix leave their best steeps ungroomed, there's nothing too extreme which is groomed. Kitzbuhl doesn't really have much, but, the Hannenkahm downhill course including ski itinerary bits is probably the most intimidating on piste run I've ever come across when the snow is hard like first thing in morning. Much easier when the sun comes out and softens the snow
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Any resort wishing to appeal to the most punters (i.e. all of them, bar La Grave) ensures they have the magic formula on their piste map (50% blue, 30% red, 10% black, 10% green, ish), irrespective of the actual terrain available

Kicking horse has also 50% double black diamond Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:
@BobinCH, meaning, 99% (could be wrong on number) of pistes are open, Lavanchey is open ...

So no big issue for most people...

Maybe not for you but that lift (along with AdM) is my main reason for going to Cham. I’d say it’s a pretty big deal when your signature lift is shut for the season...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@BobinCH, +1
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whitegold wrote:
Chamonix has the best and steepest offpiste in the world.

Verbier has the best and steepest onpiste and nearpiste (itineraries) in the world.

No serious freeriders with cred are hanging out in Cortina, Murren or Tignes. They are for vacationers.

I can introduce you to plenty of freeriders in EK that are cred worthy, just because you dont know any doesn't mean they're not here, id hazard a guess most of the skiers in verbier are back seat heal pushing unfit holiday makers
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mother hucker wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
Chamonix has the best and steepest offpiste in the world.

Verbier has the best and steepest onpiste and nearpiste (itineraries) in the world.

No serious freeriders with cred are hanging out in Cortina, Murren or Tignes. They are for vacationers.

I can introduce you to plenty of freeriders in EK that are cred worthy, just because you dont know any doesn't mean they're not here, id hazard a guess most of the skiers in verbier are back seat heal pushing unfit holiday makers

Of course there are good freeriders in EK but the rest of what he says is fair enough. The extreme stuff being skied last season in Chamonix was off the scale, and Verbier hosts several of the worlds best freeriders (and tends to attract holiday makers at the advanced end of the spectrum, alongside some « back seat heal pushing unfit holiday makers Very Happy » ).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@BobinCH, my main reason for going to Cham is I have a business here.

99% of my guests have no interest in the top benne.

Anyway, surely the signature lift is the Aiguille du Midi ? At least, that’s what a significant number of my sister in law’s clients think... rolling eyes Puzzled
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skidm wrote:
@Kenzie... red going on black...

Pff. Seriously?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@HotDogger, missed your question, sorry, the old chairlift was replaced by a fast 10 person bubble a couple of years ago. so getting to Lognan isn't the issue it might have been.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ahhh. That explains it. I'm glad to hear it's not such a problem.
I've had some great experiences there and I was really saddened to read about the Grand Montets lift being so utterly destroyed.
For the Op - regardless of the GM lift, there's still a lot steep fun reds n blacks there and some really good between the pistes stuff too.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great ring of three steep rinse and repeat blacks in Ischgl, and another a dog leg away

Can't think of any steep pistes in Chamonix (Lachenal I think, which is red is it?, maybe one off skiers left of Bouchard), off piste, yes but not pistes. Similarly in Anton, the only steep one I can remember is the black above the happy valley and even then its only steep for one pitch.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@8611, a couple of the pisted lines down Brevent are quite steep. Pylones is also quite steep.

The problems are manifold, a piste needs to reasonably keep it's snow, be piste-able, allow for readily straightforward rescue, etc., etc.

So basically, there are not many "pistes" that are actually "steep". Itineraries, yes, more so, but not pistes. It's a bit of a strange question to my mind.
snow report
8611 wrote:
Great ring of three steep rinse and repeat blacks in Ischgl, and another a dog leg away

Can't think of any steep pistes in Chamonix (Lachenal I think, which is red is it?, maybe one off skiers left of Bouchard), off piste, yes but not pistes. Similarly in Anton, the only steep one I can remember is the black above the happy valley and even then its only steep for one pitch.

Kandahar?
latest report
And Fang?
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@8611 It's a bit of a strange question to my mind.

It is in so far as steep off piste is really where one should be getting their kicks if steep is what one is looking for. However there is a unique kick to a steep piste also, its just faster, less faff and bumping about. And you can hit it again and again in quick succession more so than off piste. And its always in pretty good condition. So I can see the attraction.
ski holidays
jellylegs wrote:
Cortina has some amazingly steep pistes:- Faloria, Vertigine Blanca, Canalone, Stratondi. Half way down the Forcella there's a great section where you really don't want to fall. Unfortunately throughout the Dolomites they like to piste-bash their blacks.

You mean just by here on Forcella Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
[quote="dklemm"]
jellylegs wrote:

Wow that must be insanely steep, the acceleration from stopped on ground is unreal, looks fake. I was in cortina for two weeks once but was terrible snow year and there were some runs above town that were supposed to be super steep but just didn't open.

Madonna said to be very steep too?
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@BobinCH, my main reason for going to Cham is I have a business here.

99% of my guests have no interest in the top benne.

Anyway, surely the signature lift is the Aiguille du Midi ? At least, that’s what a significant number of my sister in law’s clients think... rolling eyes Puzzled

I’d have thought AdM would be the one with a very specific clientele. GM is basically the only other glacier skiing in Cham and Pointe de Vue is a hell of a run!

ski holidays
Can’t think of anywhere in Madonna that is very steep at all.

@8611, my point is a much that given the constraints of a piste, a piste is never going to be consistently very steep.
latest report
@BobinCH, Agreed. Point de Vue is black as a black cat sitting on a black bible in front of a blackboard on a black night (apologies to Blackadder) wink
snow conditions
@Chamcham, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
This is a good one if you like moguls!

ski holidays
Is this verbier???
latest report
WASHOUT wrote:
Is this verbier???

Yes. The front side of the mighty Mont Fort. The line under the cables is used for speed skiing competitions. The piste, on the lookers right is usually a nice steep bump run. And after a fast, pisted section you hit the Gentianes itinerary and 1000m of steep bumps down to Tortin. Top to bottom is 1300m of thigh burning goodness Very Happy

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 27-12-18 10:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@BobinCH, seriously, we have to convince our clients (who are typically not very special other than to us) that if they want convenient piste skiing - as 99% of them do, at least for elements of the family - they are far, far better a 3 minute walk from Brevent than next door to the AdM.

"But the AdM is where all the skiing is!", they protest...

Mont Fort is indeed lovely, from and back...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Zinal has what you are looking for; 3 or 4 high level, wide, groomed, consistent blacks in close proximity which are popular with hard booters. In linked Grimentz there are several more but not as good for full on carving if that's your thing.

http://www.snow-forecast.com/system/images/8572/large/Zinal.jpg?1515903
snow conditions
Think I am away to book a trip 2 verbier.... got a free lift pass to use.
snow report
WASHOUT wrote:
Think I am away to book a trip 2 verbier.... got a free lift pass to use.

Looks like hiking/touring required now for pow turns. Wait for the next dump if you can
ski holidays
bug. Look like that shift bindings will be higher up my want list.
snow conditions
dklemm wrote:
jellylegs wrote:
Cortina has some amazingly steep pistes:- Faloria, Vertigine Blanca, Canalone, Stratondi. Half way down the Forcella there's a great section where you really don't want to fall. Unfortunately throughout the Dolomites they like to piste-bash their blacks.

Dude did well to jam the ends of his poles in!!
latest report
Best steep piste runs would be kicking horse in BC, Canada. There are a ridiculous amount of steep black and double blacks. In fact on the top half of the mountain everything is steep black or double black. That’s without for the offpiste. Even better you can stay at the bottom of the slopes in an apartment with a hot tub. It probably won’t be that busy and the locals consider 0-15cm of powder not worth getting up early for
latest report
HoneyBunny wrote:

Dude did well to jam the ends of his poles in!!

He'd have done better not to get up with one of his skis pointing down the fall-line.........
snow report
Must admit, I did laugh at the video. Wife was giving me some stick about laughing at peoples misfortune.

Watched it back to see what actually happened and laughed again.

Similar thing has happened to me, I just gave up in the end and slid down on my arris until I came to a stop before traipsing back up the piste to get my skis and poles.
latest report
@KenX, he didn’t get up, he was just trying to get that ski out because it was trapped under the other one.
latest report
Mayrhofen has (reputedly) the steepest bit of prepared piste - a black run called the Hari Kiri.

Can’t officially confirm, as I chickened out of it!

LS
snow conditions
Overrated IMO
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy