Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Age for learning???

Poster: A snowHead
We've not been for a "few" yrs but looking at going this year and taking the two reasons for not going for the past "few" yrs. Toofy Grin

The boys are 10 and 6, both physically very fit and strong (rugby, park run and football every week). Me and the wife have both ski'd a couple of weeks in our youth before turning to the tray and not looking back. Obviously we could learn to ski as a family but we don't really want to unless we have to, my old boards are shelves in the boys rooms, I kitesurf now so boards are part n parcel of life.......the boys really want to snowboard as well snowHead Couple of questions:

+ I can find lessons for the 10yr on ESF etc but the 6yr old it doesn't seem to be an option?

+ Booking online only seems to give a six day option and starting on Sundays/Mondays - we plan on doing a short break over the Easter wknd arriving on a Friday.......are they more flexible in the resort or are we looking at private lessons for the boys?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Dan, I certainly booked my 6 year old into group lessons (skiing) with ESF in La Plagne many years ago, although he’s 25 now. Embarassed I’m sure 6 year old should be catered for, maybe ring them or send an email.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Doesn't esf suck with snowboard lessons?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Forget ESF for snowboarding at any age. You can't trust them to deliver quality tuition.

Find somewhere which dedicates itself to teaching snowboarding and you'll have a much better experience.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks @geepee, @Gainz, @Richard_Sideways, I guess an organisation can have a bad rep but it's really down to the individuals instructors and you can be really lucky and very unlucky?

We're looking at going to La Clusaz, France - advertised instructors are ESF, Evolution 2 and ESI, but as we are driving we can switch depending on conditions at the end of March.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Dan, We used ESF in Arcs 2000 and he was brilliant, taught our boys to snowboard, bumped into him 2 weeks and he had his 3 year old out boarding, I nearly fainted...

Personally I would look to book private lessons. You dont need as many as group ones and they learn quicker.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Most ski schools cater for the standard week long holiday - Sun/Mon for 5 or 6 days (in fact most ski orientated things work on this basis). At a resort like La Clusaz you should try to get hold of some of the smaller schools or independent instructors and see how they can help. It will be more expensive mainly becuase it is efffectively a private lesson unless you can find someone to share the cost with.

We did somehting similar for a group of mates who had never skied in Megeve last year - worked well
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don’t know if it was our imagination but we saw some groups of very young learner snowboarders 2 weeks ago in Les Arcs, they looked about 7 or 8. So young they were very obvious, and they were flying. Awesome to watch. We’ve converted our 3 teenagers to boards and all 3 happily admit they would never put skis on again by choice.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+1 for a couple of private lessons, given that your are not looking for standard 6 days.

Since you board, you'll be able to spend the rest of the time encouraging the boys to develop their skills - which is most of the benefit of a week's lessons IMHO.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all the responses, can't wait to get on the tray again and especially sharing that with the kids Toofy Grin

Any idea what the cost of a private lesson, we'd stick both boys together and probably look for 2 days and then spend the time outside learning how to control the edge and a bit of "falling leaf" - if that's still such a thing Wink .......I'm sure they'll be flying very quickly once they learn to trust speed Twisted Evil
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dan wrote:
Thanks for all the responses, can't wait to get on the tray again and especially sharing that with the kids Toofy Grin

Any idea what the cost of a private lesson, we'd stick both boys together and probably look for 2 days and then spend the time outside learning how to control the edge and a bit of "falling leaf" - if that's still such a thing Wink .......I'm sure they'll be flying very quickly once they learn to trust speed Twisted Evil

Got all our 3 kids boarding last year. My job as a Dad was complete Toofy Grin Madeye-Smiley

Re prices, check out the ski schools where you are going and they normally quote private prices. I would take a guess that 3 x 1/2 private is probably the same as 5 days group but imo you learn quicker and more in private. Once you know the resort go on the thread here for that resort and ask for instructor recommendations. You might struggle to get early morning start private as normally instructors have ski school. Also private are very tiring as there is nowhere to hide at the back of the class so for kids 3 hours is tops I would book in one go. When we did the 2 boys last year with ESF in Arc 2000 their private started around 11 as soon as he finished his group. He did 3 hours with ours and that still gave me time to get out with them, they were beating me after 3 days it was embarrassing. As with all things I got my 'deal' and timings by ringing the ski school, not by email.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@thefatcontroller, thanks Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Forget ESF for snowboarding at any age. You can't trust them to deliver quality tuition.

Find somewhere which dedicates itself to teaching snowboarding and you'll have a much better experience.

+ 1. I agree with this.

Whilst I think I learnt from ESF (or equivalent) all those years ago, it was always a ski instructor who was required as part of his job to also teach snowboarding. I'm sure it's fine, if there are no alternatives in the resort you end up going to.

We've been going to Avoriaz the last few years and they have 2 dedicated snowboard schools in the Portes du Soleil (Mint & Real Snowboarding) - my 4yr old had private snowboard lessons last season with Mint and I cannot recommend something like that enough.

Good luck getting sorted.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@giddyman, thanks
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
has anyone had any children private lessons at Hemel?

Looking to get the two lovable urchins a lesson sometime in March before we go. It's going to be expensive as the littlest is 6 and they only do group lesson starting at 7 so it means doing a private hour lesson but will get them to try a board on the snow and see how they get on snowHead
snow report
+1 for Mint in Morzine/Avoriaz. British run. Had a private lesson from them which totally delivered, friends have had group and private lessons and heard of great things for kids.
latest report
for a snowboard group lessons are pointless.
Your kids will spend more time sitting down waiting their turn of tuition.
Its not like skiing where you see ski school snakes. Its constant stop start.
Better having 2x days of 2 hours private than having 5 days of group class.

First hour will be wasted in learning to strap up, walk with a board, skate, etc.
Maybe that is something you can do with them? even get them to learn heel side & toe side control to falling leaf?
You could easily do that on a dry slope if its easier to get to.

That is what I have done with my mates before having learner lessons.
latest report
Thanks 👍
ski holidays
Right, got them a 2 hour private lesson at Gosling with Trick Tech - www.facebook.com/tricktech.co.uk after a recommendation on here.

That should give them enough to think about on the first afternoon when we arrive to just get used to actual snow and finding an edge, tea leaf etc.
latest report
Had an excellent ESF snowboard instructor in February, very good value too for three of us in a private lesson
snow report
Snowboarding is very easy to learn.

Just one plank and a bit of balance.

At 6 and 10, they should be able to pick it up in days and be advanced within weeks at any instructor.
snow conditions
At hemel it says they will do private lessons from 3 so we know where we will be in the summer.
I doubt he will be doing a lot on the slopes but be interesting to see the reaction.

Thing I am most concerned about is finding snowboard schools for next winter for a 3.5 year old
snow report
Mint snowboarding in Morzine might teach a 3year old for an hour
latest report
Cool. I think short of going to the states (where they seem to be a bit more enlightened) that a trip to morzine will be needed
snow report
@grahamt1980, we did look at Hemel but the costs for a private lesson was pretty steep for the times we could get there this winter......may be cheaper in the summer?

The link i posted above was recommended by a fellow snowhead, the guy also teaches at Hemel as an independent instructor......i've had very varying feedback on the instructors employed directly at Hemel.
snow conditions
All of that sounds really promising then. Will contact the guy at hemel. Ultimately we know that he will only be getting used to sliding around, but that's perfect for now.

We will get him on ski's too as he loved it when we put him on some in la plagne this winter.
but ultimately we would prefer him to be on one plank rather than 2
snow report
Must admit I agree that private for kids snowboarding is worthwhile, whereas private for kids skiing I personally think group works better.

For the reasons noted above, beginner snowboard lessons the first few days are slow going, with lots of time falling, getting up, time on backside, and in a group of 5 or 6 your going to spending a fifth or a sixth of your time sat on your bum watching the other people learn their basics, waiting your turn, plus the time you spend yourself falling and getting up. So I figure two hours 1 to 1 private on a board is better than a six hours all day in a group with 5 or 6 others.

My eldest who could already ski very well did learn to board in a day at Tamworth. He was actually a bit too young for their minimum age limit (which was 10 or 11) by 6 months or so, but he did well, by the end he could just about turn both ways.

When we got to the mountain on arrival day we got kit and I took him to the free drag lift for an hour at closing. I just got him practicing heel and toe slides, simple traverses and some simple turns. The following day I spent the morning with him practicing turning on a longer run and then at midday he had his first 2 hour private. He snowboarded on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday, with a 2 hour private lesson on each of those days, and progressed well. On the interim days he skied. By the end he could pretty much board. Not super fast, or super fluid, but he could ride, get around pretty much anywhere, be in control, keep up momentum and even cover off flatish sections. Without hesitation or doubt I think he got more out of those 3 x 2 hour privates than he would have got out of a week group. On his last day the instructor also taught to do a butter press which delighted him.

Well worth trying to get the basics nailed down in a dome first though so you don't waste the first day learning to strap in, skate, and heel and toe slide. That learn to board in a day worked well for us.
snow report
My experience of privates is you pay for the instructor rather than the attendance. I think in Andorra one private was not much more than two group lessons, so putting the two children together worked out well once they were no longer progressing much in the group. Similarly, no-one was particularly fussed about the minimum age. I asked if it was for insurance purposes or just an indicator of capability/maturity, and I didn't get a definitive answer but the local TO felt it was more the latter than the former. Certainly after we'd sneaked her in to the first group lesson and then my daughter told the instructor in a stage whisper "Actually I'm only 5 and a half, but it's a secret" Very Happy he really didn't care. She's one of the tallest in her class at school. The week's lessons went off no problems.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My kids are both 21 and 19 now so talking from past experience. We have been going annually to the snow for about 30+ years now. snowHead My kids were in the snow from birth. snowHead snowHead It was hard at first when they were like 2 to 3 to get them to stay out for hours as they don't have a big concentration span. Sad So you have to have accommodation on the mountain. Anyway they took to the snow very quickly. Very Happy So my son just on 4 years could ski blue runs with us all over the mountain. It was a worry just keeping him to stay with us because they'd go off in their own direction with the excitement of being in this new uncharted territory. If he stacked it he couldn't get up so would be yelling out "Dad". I'd have to break out and go back up the mountain to lift him up. Anyway from about 6 years on they are fine but you just need to tag along with them in case they have problems.

So living on the East Coast of Australia we are exposed to surfing and skateboarding from a very young age. My 19 year old son was fairly good at both so the jump across from skiing to snowboarding was only about a week transition. He did this at about 7 to 8 I think. Skateboarding is an important skill to make snowboarding so much quicker to pick up. Now at close to 20 he's getting close to catching up to me. Much more of a risk taker charging hard on youthful testosterone all day. Shocked My kids have never had a lesson in their life and can snowboard/ski all over the mountain. I had lessons at school in 1980 but that was it. Lessons are okay but not essential. Cool
ski holidays
@Craig64, thanks mate!

Just to update, so we met up with Lee from Trick Tech at Gosling Dry Slope yesterday. He did an hour with each 1:1. It started from putting on the board and walking/sliding along and turning round in a circle with one boot in. He then walked them up the small slope and within minutes they had the basics and moved on to the bigger hill. Lee pushed them to try more, but making sure it was all done safely. Towards the end they were doing heel edge and toe edge turns (with a little hold of one hand when needed and being ready to grab them)......they even little ollie's as well when coming down straight at the bottom....all in an hour. It was one of those really proud dad moments, they did so well and the holiday is going to be a blast!!!

Lee has a real gift and connection with kids and obviously a talented coach. Lee took some lovely photos of them at the top of the hill and WhatsApp them to me, great simple touch!!! Definitely recommend him and hope to come back soon Toofy Grin

I'd thoroughly recommend a dry slope lesson as it's much cheaper than a dome and for learning the basics, you don't need much and it was amazing to see the edging really work. I would even say it would hone the skills more.
snow report
Also to say that Lee had Burton boards/boots small enough as well, so everything was sized right for them. It's amazing to see how the kit has developed to make it so much more accessible to the little ones.
snow conditions
Most schools won't take kids in group snowboard lessons until they're about 8, so private lesson is likely your only option. I've taught quite a few kids that young and it usually works out great as long as the kids are properly up for it.

Disagree with @Mr.Egg's comment though. If the kids are spending all their time sitting down in a group snowboard lesson, find another snowboard lesson!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 21-01-19 23:09; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Just thought i'd update with how we got on.

After the short dry slope lesson we went to La Clusaz, France for 9 days in Easter last year.

Due to the time of year there were no snowboard schools available for the week, just private lessons, so we arranged a 2hr lesson for them both for the first two days of the holiday with Evolution. Personally I think this is the best way to learn for a beginner, the follow me experience just doesn't work so invest in some private tuition and they'll learn much quicker. When we'd pick up the rental gear and as there were a few hours left of day light, I took the boys out on a small slope up towards where we were staying, just walking up a small slope by the road with a gentle gradient. Immediately they were surprised by how slippery snow was as opposed to dendix rolling eyes Laughing but holding their hands and guiding them they were soon slip sliding, tea leafing and linking the odd turn.

The next two days they had two hour private lesson with Evolution (I think his name was Matt). He was very good, very patient and they loved watching his little tricks. The learning area in La Clusaz is great, there's a few green runs that have a good consistent gradient. The runs are linked by button lifts which can be a problem on a board but they both did pretty well, even when they fell off they tried again.......or dad/instructor grabbed them on the way past Very Happy to get them to the top.

After each lesson we took them out for a couple of hours, after 3-4 hours (inc lessons) they were completely broken, especially the 6yr old. This is mainly due to when learning snowboarding you're constantly trying to slow down rather than using the speed, also getting up from falling over and using all these new muscles......once you realise speed is your friend it's much easier. The boys wanted to hit the park on the second day (see link below)

https://www.facebook.com/dan.hacking.3/videos/10160281554590456

It was amazing (proud dad) seeing them confidently and competently hitting sliders after 2 days on the snow, taking small hits and loving life on the snow. Just getting up after each fall, dusting themselves down and getting on with it. The 11yr old was confident going down decent reds by the end, the 6yr old could get down a red without any problem, but he had much more fun on cruisey blues as he didn't have the weight to really get the edge in when he needed to on a red run.

What we learnt was that 6yrs is really the limit i'd take a child snowboarding, not because they can't do it earlier, but the time on the slope would be really limiting for a family and the whole point is to spend time together (at least that's my view), any younger they'd only be able to do an hour or so IMHO, this would mean one parent would have to sacrifice a lot of time on the slope. For a fit, strong 6 year old, it's a great time to learn. The child has to want to do it and must of the temperament of giving something a go and being prepared to fall over and bounce back up again, but you also have to be there to pick them up as they will catch an edge and hurt themselves. It's very important to recognise when they need a rest/chocolate or just need to stop for the day. The newer kit makes it really easy for them but they still do need a lot of strength and some weight to be able to really put the edge in, especially in icy conditions. If they are not, then i'd not push it and start them skiing. The place we stayed (capfun campsite) really was a godsend as it had a decent sized swimming pool, so we could split the day in half and do something else in the afternoon as there was no way they could do a whole day on the slopes. We also learnt that kids are very risk averse.....not that we didn't know that but this was a different environment where it's all fun but they don't see any risks, just piles of snow.......it took a couple of lucky near misses for them to realise that they must be in control of their speed and edge at all times, especially the littlest who if he caught an edge and ended up going head first down the run, he thought it was great fun being a missile.......until he realised he didn't have the strength to turn himself round and stop, so dad had to straight line after him to turn him around, so one of us always had to stay very close.

My boys loved it, progressed really well and they now have their own boots/boards/bindings (it's easy to pick up great kids kit off ebay/facebook market place if you know what you are looking for Wink ). We/they can't wait for the return trip to La Clusaz. I loved seeing them learn something new, develop those skills and really push themselves (and us) but mostly, having fun together as a family snowHead
latest report
Good stuff! We've literally just booked La Clusaz for our HT trip, and youngest is saying he wants to do snowboarding this year, like dad and brother. Just gotta convince wife to switch to the One True Edge now and we're golden!
snow report
great news, we're there at the same time for the Feb HT and all snowboarders Toofy Grin

If you have any questions about La Clusaz, just ask and i'll see if I can help.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy