Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Maurienne Valley

Poster: A snowHead
Wow. That looks great. We’ll try and get up there this week to take a look
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That looks brilliant, looks like you picked the right spot. We’re out tomorrow so will see how it’s looking round here.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Some light snow this morning, followed by a couple of hours of sunny spells around lunchtime. Started moderately snowing again around 14.00 but has petered out. Hopefully it should pick up again tonight if the forecasts are to be believed...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great day today! About 20cm in Valloire this morning. It was blowing a hoolie last night so pretty uneven distribution on the mountain, still plenty of icy patches but good depth elsewhere. Given the avy risk stuck to lower angle stuff / trees, but the off piste is now much more enjoyable, though still a fair few rocks sticking through. Forecast for the week looking good snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
seems to be snowing hard this morning!
http://www.valloire.net/fr/webcam-sculptures-neige-hiver.aspx (click Live)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mr.Egg wrote:
seems to be snowing hard this morning!

It was indeed! About 20-30 cms at the top of the mountain, and much lighter than the dump earlier this week. Went up late morning and there were very few people out, with plenty of untracked powder on and at the sides of the piste. It then cleared up around lunch and had a fantastic afternoon in sunshine and powder snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snowing heavily when we woke up today, with about 10-20cms already in Valloire. A combination of strong winds and level 5 avalanche risk meant that very little was open this morning - all of Crey du Quart was closed and only a few runs open on Setaz. Luckily Cornafond had just opened when we got up there, so got a few relatively untracked runs down that side in shin deep powder.

Then noticed that Montissot and Lac de la Vielle had just opened so headed up that way - bad idea! They're slow normally but were running at reduced speed because of the wind, a quick frozen lap round that side and we retreated back to town for an early drink.

Still snowing heavily in town!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Conditions were 'acceptable' in the lower Maurienne last week (fortunately we avoided the road chaos of the Friday/Saturday!):

Powder & sun? Why not...

snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@offpisteskiing, great pics, love it! My lad and I are heading over to Ed's gaff in a couple of weeks, hope it's more of the same Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@KenX Went for a nice walk last week there. But am now in Klosters for a few days. @0ffpisteskiings pics really look great don’t they!

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In Val Cenis today with Walter Wall sunshine. Started on Lac and Grand Coin above Termignon. Snow a bit old but very acceptable. Lunch in the rotating restaurant then on to L.bourg and later L.villard. Don't remember so little snow before - even at Easter. Much busier though good tempered and the off-piste was reasonable - not too crusty but grippy and occasionally soft.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@altis, rotating restaurant??
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yep. Buvette at the top of Roches Blanches / base of the two drags. On the side is a sort of octagon-shaped conservatory with a floor that rotates slowly. But not today as it was switched off. I think we went there after our trip to the fort on Mont Froid.

There's also a salle hors sac in there too. Could be handy for future reference.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@altis, 3 or 4 years ago there was far less snow at half term. Ribbons down to Termingnon. We skied ValCenis today and there was some decent almost spring like conditions down under the New Arcellins lift. Snow doesn’t compare to Courchevel the week before last but it was less icy than I thought it would be after hearing the state of the piste outside our window this morning, mostly grippy and brilliant visibility.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Air felt warmer but snow colder today. Was busier too and when Lac failed the queue for Grand Coin encouraged us to move on. Snow round Mont Cenis drag was most firm and then the off piste around Gouiet was rock hard and the piste icy. We were there a couple of hours earlier than yesterday but the difference was marked. Then we found the salle hors sac at the top of Vieux Moulin. Very new and smart with many mains and USB sockets. Then up Solert and Met to find the nicest off piste. Despite protestations, Mrs A comfortably managed the large couloir off the Met run. Then it all seemed to go wrong. Up Solert again with the intention of heading to the far left of the system but got distracted by the off piste and ended up too low so went round again. Stopped for vins chaud almost under Arcelle chair. As we set off Mrs A had some ice under the toes of her Dynafit bindings. After coming out for the third time she stopped to investigate. Unfortunately I was just out of sight so, after waiting ages and with no response by phone, I set off to the bottom down the long and icy Arcelle. No signs so I looped round and saw her waiting. Back together but with time running out we headed up Plan Cardinal hoping to run back to Vieux Moulin or something. However, the linking black is unpisted and looked most uninviting. So we just legged it back to the top of Val Cenis le Haut and downloaded. Arrived at the bus stop with 25 minutes to spare. On the whole, I'd describe the off piste as unforgiving.
snow report
Certainly colder today and no sign of soft snow on the lower runs at the end of the day just a mix of hard areas of piste and soft fine sugary snow that had been scraped off. Higher up the snow was still cold a grippy so lots of piste blasting this morning with the juniors picking off as much air as they could off the side of the pistes. Off piste this afternoon off the Met and under Solert was reasonably cold and soft on top. May head up to Bonneval for the morning tomorrow.
snow report
Drove down the hill to Val Frejus today. First thing we noticed was the avalanche risk was 1 which was more expected than the 3 of the previous days. Still plenty of sunshine but not enough to soften the southerly slopes of the Punta Bagna. At about midday the snow by the Col d'Arrondaz seemed to be softening but after just a few turns it returned to boilerplate and I soon went flying. We had better luck in the shade on the north side on and around the black - the entry to which is quite fearsome. The salle hors sac under the big restaurant in the middle has been done up and is very smart. The slow up and over chair has been cut in half so that now you can only get to the col from the far side. The 6-man Punta Bagna is now the only way up from the middle. Late in the afternoon we did some of the home runs which were still in good condition then perfectly timed our return to the Punta Bagna to finish on Combe (?) and Jeu - perhaps our favourite 'blue' combination - so remote and pretty and good snow all the way back to resort.
snow conditions
altis wrote:
Yep. Buvette at the top of Roches Blanches / base of the two drags. On the side is a sort of octagon-shaped conservatory with a floor that rotates slowly. But not today as it was switched off.

Ah! Have eaten in there but never noticed any rotation...!
snow report
@offpisteskiing, I never noticed either until one day I got up to leave and found my gloves out of reach.

Another factor 50 day today although with a little haze and a biting cold start meant spring corn unlikely. Still it was a risk 1 rising to 2 in the afternoon on S facing slopes.

Caught first bus to Val Cenis le Haut but so cold when we got to the top we headed straight for the sun around Solert and Met. Snow firm chalk. Then back whence we had come for hot chocs in Ranova (?) restaurant - very friendly, nice place. Then up to the top and then all the way down to baby slopes by Colomba for bracquage exercises- mixed results. Snow good all the way though.

Then back up and over to salle hors sac at top of Vieux Moulin. Noticed there's also a hot drinks machine - only 1 euro. Then back up Solert and round Met a few times to see how the chalk was coming on. Mostly good it seems but in my efforts to push the envelope I managed to step off the chalk onto the creme brûlée to discover the soft powder lurking beneath. At least there is some left but I took a tumble followed by a long slide. Anyone coming up Met will see a line of boot prints for about 25m topped by a large hole. No harm done but at least I provided some entertainment.

Up Met again and then over towards Col de Mont Cenis and down to the Turra chair. At the top of Grand Coin it was getting cold again but the hazy views were tremendous. Zig-zagged our way slowly back to Termignon enjoying the evening light in the trees. Back home about 5 and quite exhausted.
ski holidays
Bonneval by bus today. Still more sunshine but air temperature warmer despite the gain in altitude.

A very small resort. Not the variety of runs as say Albiez but with high mountain scenery and acres of off piste available between the pistes. This was almost entirely tracked out with a firm to hard chalky surface.

Unsurprisingly, the average standard of skiing is quite high with a wide range of ages tackling some difficult slopes.

Some queues were significant with the occasional old skool queue jumping technique rearing its ugly head.

Quickly got cold at the end of the day with some of the home runs icy and busy.

Can't help wishing for some more playful skis. My G3 Aces are quite stiff with a 21m radius and are a bit of a handful in such unforgiving snow.
snow report
Last day today so we managed to beat the bounds of Val Cenis without the aid of a bus.

A heatwave was predicted so I was keeping my eye open for spring corn. No chance. It felt just as cold to begin with and some high cloud kept the sun at bay for a while. I didn't need to remove a layer until 2pm.

Snow much as before but perhaps a little firmer. Avalanche risk currently 2 on S and E faces but if the predicted high temps arrive next week I imagine this will increase.

That's it for now. Just hope there's some snow left in April when we're back for some touring.
snow conditions
The big skis are in ready for some epic water skiing
latest report
I fear that might not be so far off the mark. We need to find the coldest places but even Val T is not forecast to go below zero during the day.
snow report
+11 here today but scored some beautiful spring snow from the Col des 3 Frères Mineurs between Montgenevre and Nevache Very Happy
snow conditions
HOT. Chalky snow on northerly aspects though, even at sub 2500m.
snow report
Light sleet in Valloire village since about noon, but has turned heavier and colder in the last hour, and now falling in fat flakes and starting to settle.
ski holidays
First decent snow fall last night after a couple of light dustings last week. Sleet or light rain in the village but about 10-15cm above the mid station. Surprisingly evenly distributed as it was very windy yesterday. Pistes nicely refreshed and the higher off piste was fun, though still crust and rocks lurking not far below!
snow report
Have been lurking in the middle/upper Maurienne this week - bit tricky dodging the weather, but generally good conditions to be found if you play your cards right.

Looks like a bit more inbound tomorrow, though rain/snow level may be a little high...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy