Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Gardena to Col Raiser

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know if there is there a ski bus from the bottom of the Dantercepies lift that goes to the Col Raiser lift? If so, how frequent?
I can see it is skiable via Saslong but not all our group may fancy that option. Never been in the area before so any help appreciated
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yes, there is a valley bus (3 euro daily). A link to the timetable was posted somewhere last week

====== Edit =====

https://www.valgardena.it/en/bus-schedule/
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Some more info for you

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@GingerWizard, ski down to the center of Selva and take the bus (orange) - have to get out at St. Christian and walk a bit down to the Val Gardena to the Ronda Express (the underground) and get on.

No change of bus in that way. (and it is easy to ski down to center og Selva from Dantercepies.)

Some of the busses go all the way down to the underground station but not all.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There is but...the ski buses IME are a pretty painful and unpredictable way to travel around Val Gardena. A much more fun way to get to Col Raiser is from Dantercepies, ski under the bridge and off to your left is a track that goes through the center of town. (Just follow everyone else). Take off skis and walk 5 minutes to the Ciampinoi cable car. From top, make your way down the Saslong and take the underground train to Col Raiser...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Pasigal, that's what I would do, but the OP woudl need to be confident of taking the Saslong
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@holidayloverxx, that's a fair point. There are 2 Saslong options, A/B, when you get to the 1/3 point: Saslong B is easier, iirc there's just one steep section at the very end. (if the snow is fresh the Saslong is fine, it's when you're going 120 kmh flat out on an iced-down FIS DH that it's really hairy).

If your wife is a middling to strong intermediate she can do it.

The skibus stop is just to the left when you get to the bottom of the track through Selva.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

There is but...the ski buses IME are a pretty painful and unpredictable way to travel around Val Gardena. A much more fun way to get to Col Raiser is from Dantercepies, ski under the bridge and off to your left is a track that goes through the center of town. (Just follow everyone else).

+1 - Given it doubles as a world cup race track, the Saslong is a very forgiving slope and both reasonably easy and rewarding to tackle it at a gentle pace. It is fairly steep in sections but it's very wide and has several flatter plateaus where a safe rest can be taken. On a quiet morning it's also very easy to scare the absolute sh**e out of yourself on though!

Also - it only takes 5 mins to cross the road to the Ciampinoi bubble if you stop for a coffee and a cake in the bakery!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@jma @holidayloverxx, that bakery is delicious! was sad that I only discovered it on the last day of our trip last year. Will be back in Feb.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the advice. I don't think I'd very popular if we went down the Saslong - sounds a bit ambitious for some of the party! The option of skiing into town & bus from there sounds more sensible for us.
I assume finding the bus station after skiing into town is straightforward?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
GingerWizard wrote:
Thanks for all the advice. I don't think I'd very popular if we went down the Saslong - sounds a bit ambitious for some of the party! The option of skiing into town & bus from there sounds more sensible for us.
I assume finding the bus station after skiing into town is straightforward?

No bus station, just stops along the main road, they're marked.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I wouldn’t rely on the buses - my experience is that they are infrequent and hard to predict. It might be better simply to ski the Col Raiser area on a different day. There is plenty of skiing there (& at Dantercepies/Corvara) to keep everyone happy for a day. A run your less confident skiers might enjoy is La Longia which is around 10km of uninterrupted cruising from the top of the Seceda chair down to Ortisei.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I consider myself as an average intermediate and I find the Saslong fairly easy and enjoyable in the right conditions. There are considerably more difficult reds getting back down into Selva than the Saslong.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Can anyone advise on the easiest way to ski from Col Raiser over to Canazei? OH been warned that the red connecting Ciampinioi to Plan de Gralba is 'steep & can be crowded'. Its not clear from the piste map if we need to drop down to Plan de Gralba in order to pick up the Sella Ronda?
snow conditions
@GingerWizard, Indeed the first part of that run from Ciampinoi down to Plan de Gralba is a place which is often in semi-chaos with people all over the place on it. If it were not for the crowds, I don't think it actually would be too bad but trying to make your way down among the others is not easy.

You can skirt round the side of the Ciampinoi summit (if looking down from a bird's eye view you would be going clockwise round it) and then ski down the ridge (Ciampinoi 4) and turn right at the end, but that's not really a much nicer route. May benefit from fewer people.

I'm not sure there is any obvious way round. One possibility (but I have never tried it) would be to take the chair out of Santa Christina up to Monte Pana, then the Mont de Sura chair and from there the flat blue to connect to Tramans chair after which I think you can take the red Piz Sella down into Plan de Gralba. I don't know how much of a walk it is in S Christina to the Monte Pana chair - google reckons 10 min walk.
ski holidays
This

video
or

another video
shows the "skirt around Ciampinoi summit" route I describe above.

This

video
shows the "normal" route and why the bit at the top is chaos. As you look down, it has a steeper side at the left, to the right next to the chair coming up the slope is less steep. But of course that serves to drive more people to that half of the piste.
latest report
Thanks for the video clips. Not as bad as I was expecting. As long as not overly crowded might be ok...
latest report
As others have said anyone who can ski a blue with reasonable confidence and manage on a Dolomites red can ski the Saslong and enjoy it. The B option is easier
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy