Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Foggy glasses

Poster: A snowHead
Hey there, 4eyed friends!

I was wondering if anybody would know a working home-made solution to prevent glasses underneath the goggles from fogging up.

I've tried a few things recommended online such as;
Good old spit, tooth paste and soap.
Also tried one of those anti fog sprey a long time ago but the results werent satisfying.

Been thinking of piercing a few holes on the side of the goggles to make a larger window for air to flow but im hesitating on doing that.
That, or trying a new anti fog brand, although im more inclined on finding an on-the-go solution for this.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Visor helmet?

As a fellow 4 eyes I'm not sure there is a solution that includes Goggles and glasses.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I cut part of my goggles' foam where it touches my glasses (rather generously - another goal is so that my glasses won't catch the goggles' side when I lift my goggles up) and it worked wonders. Nothing's better than simple ventilation - those anti-fog substances are more useful for less straining activity and where ventilation isn't a good option like scuba diving.

I got cheap goggles though Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I never had success with glasses fogging. Had to revert to lenses. I wonder would prescription goggles help, someone of this forum will have them and advise
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think the answer is the same for as for non 4eyes, don't lift your goggles away from your face at any point if the air is damp/wet.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Weedly, As a spectacle wearer I sympathise. Many years ago at the Ski Show I saw a chap demonstrating a product called Cler-Site which he rubbed on some spectacles then held them in the steam from boiling water and no fogging occurred. So I bought some and it worked quite well. Basically water vapour needs a nucleus of dirt or grease to condense on, if the glass surface is really clean (i.e chemically clean) then it won't condense. However although it helped it was never 100% successful as the spectacle surface can very easily pick up some dirt/grease again. Also I've not seen the product on sale for many years now.

For the last few years I've switched to a visor type helmet (a Bolle one in my case) , and with the visor being further away from the spectacles and a much larger volume of air around the spectacles I've found the visor type helmet to be the best solution for spectacle wearers. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Contact lenses, prescription sunglasses or helmet with visor. I have never found an alternative that works. I know some people don’t like to wear sunglasses with a helmet but I’ve never found it a problem.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I did try everything & as above I have to say the visor helmet has been the best ski purchase I have made (decathlon one for me).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tiny, and I mean tiny, drop of washing up liquid rubbed in with a clean cloth until clear. Been using that technique for years on goggles, glasses and motorcycle visors. Always worked for me.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Contacts are the answer if you can wear them. I just picked up a 30 day supply of daily disposables from Daysoft for €18 inc p&p. They do a single box (15day if your eyes are the same prescription) for about a tenner so maybe worth a go?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As a dry-eyed glasses wearer the only combo I've found that really work are goggles with prescription inserts. Personally I've got Adiddas ID2 goggles that are designed to take an insert, though you can also get generic inserts designed to fit most goggles. I've not tried a visor helmet but would imagin they worked just as well.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Mjit, how do you get on when you stop for coffee, my eye sight is so bad I would need to carry specs to put on
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I’m lucky enough to be 20/20 but the old man is a speccy git. He tends to wear prescription sunglasses in good weather and switches to contacts with normal goggles if it’s looking poor.

@Jonny996, umm, carry specs for when you stop?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mjit, @SnoodlesMcFlude: carry spare pair of specs for when you stop is a fair response; but would your goggles cope with someone both short sighted and now, through age, needing strong reading glasses? Perhaps they do a varifocal version - but I know that I can't cope with them whilst walking (or anything bar sitting reading) so I would hesitate to use them for snowsports where I'd really need clear vision of what's right under or in front of my feet.
(My ongoing solution is rgp contact lenses - can be uncomfy, and my eyes are getting dryer as I get older too, but better than specs for vision; can't get softs to suit me, annoyingly - and a magnifying card to read piste maps.)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
latest report
MikeM wrote:
Tiny, and I mean tiny, drop of washing up liquid rubbed in with a clean cloth until clear. Been using that technique for years on goggles, glasses and motorcycle visors. Always worked for me.

Works for diving masks. This or a decent bit of sputum apparently.
snow report
Grizzler wrote:
@Mjit, @SnoodlesMcFlude: carry spare pair of specs for when you stop is a fair response; but would your goggles cope with someone both short sighted and now, through age, needing strong reading glasses? Perhaps they do a varifocal version - but I know that I can't cope with them whilst walking (or anything bar sitting reading) so I would hesitate to use them for snowsports where I'd really need clear vision of what's right under or in front of my feet.
(My ongoing solution is rgp contact lenses - can be uncomfy, and my eyes are getting dryer as I get older too, but better than specs for vision; can't get softs to suit me, annoyingly - and a magnifying card to read piste maps.)

The main reason I ski with a backpack these days is so I've got somewhere to carry the 2 pairs of glasses (normal glasses for inside the restaurant getting food and prescription sunglasses for sitting outside eating it - wearing my goggles/inserts while stationary is the only time I have fogging issues and they pass in 5-10 seconds of setting off again).

Tried contact lenses, up to the point my dry eyes sucked all the moisture out of them and they stuck to eyeball...till I next blinked and they moved, ripping a layer off the surface of my eye. About as much fun as it sounds, but then having to try and get the lens out of an eye that feels like it's been scratched by a baby's fingernail so doesn't want to open up and have a finger poking around to grab a contact lens is even less fun. Oh how I laughed when having fished that one out and started skiing off the mountain with one eye it happened to the other one. Not one of my finest days on the mountain...
snow report
@Mjit, you have my sympathies on the contact lens issues.
You lot with good vision don't know how lucky you are Sad
latest report
Newish lenses in your specs and washing them with a tiny drop of washing up liquid onto the lenses helps, but they'll still fog up occasionally. Do your goggles have good vents on the top? In an appropriate spot tipping your head into the wind and hence through the top vents cleared my specs I found, as long as the air was cold.
latest report
Try Cat Crap It works!

NB It comes in a little red container and AFAIK has not passed through a cat.
snow conditions
Potentially useful thread. I can’t wear contacts, have tried several times and given up.

I have found Oakley Canopy goggles are ok OTG and clear pretty well as soon as you are moving. I particularly like the definition of Prism High Pink lenses. I carry some prescription sunglasses as well, and will switch if necessary and bin the goggles.

What is a pain is that I end up having to remove the goggles when I stop moving or in static situations because of steaming up, which can result in scratches from the bars on chairlifts.

The helmet and visor looks like it could be a good solution; I would therefore be interested in feedback on exactly who makes the best visors and can these compare well with Oakley Prism technology?
ski holidays
@DavidYacht, The helmet visor is not necessarily the magic bullet.
I have glasses, and use a helmet with visor, as I had issues with contacts.
My helmet had a foam strip along the lower edge of the visor to make a seal with my face.
This really inhibits airflow, and your glasses can still mist up when you stop.
I took the foam off, then used an angle grinder to remove the little plastic tabs to stop them digging in my face.
Its not perfect, but way better than the OOBE.
Kids if you're gonna do this at home, take the helmet off first, or get a grown up to help.

I am thinking about getting some prescription inserts for goggles, but there's a 6 month wait for an eye doctor where I live in France, and general opticians will not do an eye test / prescription if your original prescription from the eye doctor is over 5 years old.
But would like to hear feedback from those who use the inserts.
snow report
@Grizzler, oh I do. My dad used to surf with contacts like bottle tops so I grew up seeing how awkward it was. I also see what he’s like when he’s got fogging issues or it’s raining. My brother is equally defective.

I’m dreading the day that it catches up with me, almost to the point of paranoia. A year or so back I went to the opticians because I thought my eyesight was getting worse, only to be told that I was actually better than 20/20.
snow conditions
WindOfChange wrote:

I am thinking about getting some prescription inserts for goggles, but there's a 6 month wait for an eye doctor where I live in France, and general opticians will not do an eye test / prescription if your original prescription from the eye doctor is over 5 years old.
But would like to hear feedback from those who use the inserts.

Used inserts once and threw them away. Still misted up, and had very poor peripheral vision. Now use wrap around prescription sunglasses with arms that can be unclipped and substituted with an elastic strap. Also has removable padding around the inside edge so they can be used on and off slope. Weren't cheap but have lasted me well over 5 years so far.
snow report
I use prescription inserts for my goggles. I think they work wonders. I did get some fogging issues when stationary using my old "mid range" goggles but since buying some Oakley goggles (with Prism lenses, which are amazing BTW), I now very rarely get fogging issues.

For when the sun is out, I use my prescription sunglasses that I use day to day in the UK as well.
ski holidays
Worth mentioning to those who have dismissed contacts due to comfort that my experience is that contact lenses seem to have improved markedly in the last few years. Having failed about 3-4 years ago to find contacts that I could bear I'd tried OTG googles, then prescription inserts with varying success. About a year ago I went for an eye test and happened to ask my optician if there were any advances in contact technology - ended up with some Accuvue Oasys which i can wear alday on the mountain. Now I always ski with contacts...
snow report
Tubaski wrote:
Worth mentioning to those who have dismissed contacts due to comfort that my experience is that contact lenses seem to have improved markedly in the last few years. Having failed about 3-4 years ago to find contacts that I could bear I'd tried OTG googles, then prescription inserts with varying success. About a year ago I went for an eye test and happened to ask my optician if there were any advances in contact technology - ended up with some Accuvue Oasys which i can wear alday on the mountain. Now I always ski with contacts...

I've recently started wearing contacts (generally at weekends or on a longer drive). I won't 'need' them for skiing but it'll make things a bit nicer. I normally wear close fitting sunglasses - will I be OK or will they give problems? (if the weather's poor I use goggles).
snow conditions
martinm wrote:
Tubaski wrote:

I've recently started wearing contacts (generally at weekends or on a longer drive). I won't 'need' them for skiing but it'll make things a bit nicer. I normally wear close fitting sunglasses - will I be OK or will they give problems? (if the weather's poor I use goggles).

Contacts are generally fine with skiing, goggles or shades. They certainly don’t steam up, some people have the occasional streaming eye problems if your shades don’t fit that well, but that won’t be an issue with goggles. I’ve generally round my lenses find, expect now I’ve started going long sighted as well as short, I’m going to give prescription vari focal glasses with visor helmet a whirl this year.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@martinm, I can't ski in my CLs and sunglasses at anything but the most leisurely pace (even indoors), and in nothing but utterly still and warmer conditions. Just get too much wind in my eyes, have to use goggles. But we're all different (and I wear gas perms).
ski holidays
Got my first ever contacts in anticipation of my trips this season (by the way, reading instructions on how to insert/remove the things it sounds pretty gruesome!). Don't think I could be bothered with the inconvenience of finding goggles to fit over my goggles, the reduction in peripheral vision with inserts, or frankly the sheer indignity of wearing a helmet with built in visor (bit too 'Star Wars for me) Very Happy
ski holidays
My glasses (Jublos IIRC) have foam round the top so are fairly windproof. Contacts are dailys which may or may not be better than gas perms!
snow conditions
Get your eyes lasered.
ski holidays
I use goggles with an extractor fan. It does work. Honest. As far as I know the only make is Smith. Available online in the UK from RX Sport -https://www.rxsport.co.uk/categories/Ski-Goggles/Smith-Goggles/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr8yJsJOq3wIVJDPTCh3TEgDSEAAYASAAEgIwsPD_BwE
snow report
@Whitegold, I don't even like the idea of touching my eyeballs myself to deal with contacts, never mind someone cutting them open with a scalpel!
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
Get your eyes lasered.

Only lasts for 10 yrs and mine ain't that bad yet!
snow report
Have tried disposable contacts but they tend to come out skiing and they are always uncomfortable for me. Can't do laser for health reasons. Solution for me is I use otg goggles when weather's bad over glasses and apply a film of baby shampoo onto lenses of glasses in advance and rubbed off on day, that works great. If weather is good will wear prescription sunnies with a croakies style strap.
snow conditions
The contribution is real! Awesome suggestions all around.

@Paxo , I feel the same about contact lenses and for some reason fear they could mess me up if i fall, as unlikely as it is.
Or just from hearing @Mjit 's story...

Can't afford visor helmet yet unfortunately, but looks like a good last resort solution!

@MikeM Haven't tried a washing liquid yet, but i get the idea it won't hold for more than 2-3hours?
@TQA Heard of that one! But i think i'll try @bashing 's suggestion on poking holes on an older pair of goggles and see how it holds up, since stopping every so often to refresh the film sounds inconvenient =/
snow report
Peterkct wrote:
I use goggles with an extractor fan. It does work. Honest. As far as I know the only make is Smith. Available online in the UK from RX Sport -https://www.rxsport.co.uk/categories/Ski-Goggles/Smith-Goggles/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr8yJsJOq3wIVJDPTCh3TEgDSEAAYASAAEgIwsPD_BwE

This is the solution that I have used for years now, the only ones I have seen have been made by Smith.

I have the Smith Knowledge turbo fan, the top end newer version is the I/OX Turbo Fan

I can vouch for the knowledge version, I take 2 aaa batteries and have never needed more over a week, superb solution to the problem of spectacle wearing but seemingly not that well known - I could sell a few pairs every holiday to the spec wearers

There were issues with the fan on the 1st gen I/OX version according to reviews so I have held back from upgrading but my although not interchangeable the lenses on my 2 pairs of the Knowledge T/Fan have been fine so no real need.

From memory this years version will be the 3rd year the I/OX will have been on the market so hopefully the fan issue has been sorted

Prophecy and Phenom are the other smith models that came with the turbo fan
snow report
Interesting to find almost as many solutions as there are blind bats!

I found the spectacle inserts on Adidas goggles sat too close to my face and were brushed by my eyelashes every time I blinked.

I have worn soft contact lenses for 40 years. The technology has improved hugely in that time. I couldn’t wear gas permeables as they were too sensitive to dust and I was working in stables. I have recently tried multifocals but couldn’t see anything through them so I’m back to blended vision with an emergency pair of reading glasses in my pack for reading menus in dark restaurants.
ski holidays
Tubaski wrote:

Lucky you! I gave up wearing contacts around 3-4 years ago because I found them uncomfortable (I have very dry eyes). Tried again this year and no better unfortunately. Glasses and OTG goggles for me.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy