Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Paralympics

Poster: A snowHead
ok ... now the REAL olympics sre coming...

who are you cheering....

I'm for this guy

Quote:

Name: Michael Milton
Born: 21/03/1973, Canberra, ACT
Resides: Canberra, ACT
Club/Institute: AIS/NSWIS
Previous Paralympic Games: 1988 Innsbruck; 1992 Albertville; 1994 Lillehammer; 2002 Salt Lake City
Career Highlights: 4 Gold medals - Slalom, Downhill, Giant Slalom, Super Giant Slalom - at Salt Lake City
Other Honours: 2003 Laureus World Athlete with a Disability of the Year Recent Results: Set World Downhill speed skiing record of 210.40km/h
Discipline: Alpine Skiing
Classification: LW2
Disability: Single above knee amputee

Michael Milton was just 14 when he skied in his first international competition – the 1988 Paralympic Games in Innsbruck, Austria. Since then Michael has been following winter around the world.
Four years later at the 1992 Winter Paralympic Games in Albertville, France, Michael won Australia’s first winter gold medal, Olympic or Paralympic
The 2002 Salt Lake Paralympic Games saw Michael realise a ten year goal, when he won all four alpine skiing gold medals. In recognition of this achievement, Michael was awarded the 2002 Laureus World Athlete of the Year with a Disability at a star-studded gala ceremony in Monte Carlo.
Winning four medals at the 2004 World Championships brought his Paralympic/World Championship medal tally to 22 - 12 of them gold.
Looking for a new challenge, Michael took up speed skiing and, in April 2003, set a new World Record for a skier with a disability, clocking 193.13km/hr on the world’s fastest track in Les Arcs, France. Since then Michael has continued to improve his speed and his current record stands at 210.40 kph.
Michael has had an impressive start to the 2005/06 ski racing season winning the Super-G event at the IPC European Cup held in Pitzal, Austria in December 2005. Michael also came 6th in the Slalom and 7th in the Giant Slalom.
The Torino Games will be Michael’s fifth Paralympic Games. He has won 10 Paralympic Medals - 6 gold, 2 silver and 2 bronze.
Michael is currently ranked 2nd in the world in Giant Slalom, 5th in Super-G and Downhill and 8th in Slalom.
Michael has won many prestigious awards including the 2004 Dawn Fraser Award, the 2002 and 2003 Australian Sports Awards Athlete of the Year and the 2002 Australian Paralympian of the Year.
At the age of nine, Michael underwent eights months of intense chemotherapy for bone cancer before his left leg was amputated.

© Australian Paralympic Committee

http://www.paralympic.org.au/apc_sub.asp?id=285
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
little tiger, I wonder how much coverage they'll get on Eurosport - lots I hope.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
so do I .... but i doubt it..... people generally seem to feel uncomfortable discussing such or watching etc...

Michael won Australia's first EVER gold medal in a winter olympic games... but the media still made stupid comments all the time about how we had never won a gold medal.... Mad

The guy is awesome... and from what i could gather almost left the country due to lack of recognition and inability to find funds to even train... If he had been able bodied and clean swept the 4 golds he did in salt lake then he would be a VERY wealthy young man now from product endorsements alone... I remember being in Whistler and they told me their guy(local) was great and would win.... then they said after the race... well we thought we had it - until we saw YOUR guy... he just is in his own class! that is about it!

I think now they at least found him a job training younger skiers for at least PART of the time...

he is almost certainly the fastest skier in Australia at the moment.... able bodied or disabled...

The younger guys following in his ski are also quite talented... I hope they ALL do well...

there are some very strange perceptions out there about disabled sports and what people think disabled people should or should not do.... all very weird....
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Paralympicsport.tv can be accessed via this link, with live coverage during the Games.

Keep an eye on the British alpine team of Liz Miller (below knee amputee), and sit skiers Russell Docker and Sean Rose (article soon) when it gets going on March 10th.

Read some more about the British Adaptive Ski Team....

Liz Miller

Sean Rose

Russell Docker
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You wouldn't want to hook one of the gates with those little stick skis would you? these guys are amazing. At Christmas we had a couple here - I think they were british. She was blind and he was a one legged skier - sooooo cool. they were good too. When they stopped the guy propped himself up on one of his sticks under his stump (full leg loss). I thought that was brilliant, but a number of people said "eurgh". So Sad and stupid. Shock
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Starts next Friday?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Very tough selection criteria again, hence only three in the alpine team. Standards are very high though - it'll be difficult for our three. Haven't seen recent results, but I know they all got Europa Cup top 15 finishes back in December in Pitztal after they moved on from Tignes.

Ian Hopkinson, the alpine events start on the 11th.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://www.paralympic.org.au/apc_sub.asp?id=265

Aussie Skier becomes European Cup Champion (pic by Tom Trinkl)
2/15/2006

Australian Alpine Sit-Skier Shannon Dallas, has claimed the overall IPC European Cup Super Giant Slalom (Super G) title in the sitting class after recording two wins on the slopes of Zoncolan, Italy.

Dallas, a paraplegic from the beachside town of Terrigal, NSW, dominated both the IPC European Cup Final and a European Cup race that had been postponed from earlier in the season, winning both by more than half a second. These results underscore his excellent form heading into the Torino Paralympic Games.

Having started the 2005/2006 European ski season ranked 22nd in the world, Shannon is now ranked 3rd following excellent results in Europe and the USA, since departing Australia last November.

Steve Graham, Head Coach, Australian Paralympic Winter Squad said: ‘Shannon has been in awesome form this season. It’s great to see how well he handled the icy snow conditions here in Italy, as this is what we can expect in Sestriere for the Torino Games.”

The Australian Squad now has two days of training before taking on the might of the Austrians in their National Championships this weekend in Fendels near Innsbruck.

The IX Paralympic Winter Games will be held in Torino, Italy 10-19 March 2006.

For additional information including images, please contact: Linda Smith on 0418 292 046 / 02 9704 0512 / linda.smith@paralympic.org.au

Name: Shannon Dallas
Born: 16/08/1977, Sydney
Resides: Terrigal, NSW
Club/Institute: AIS & NSWIS
Career Highlights: 4th Downhill, 2005 World Cup, Switzerland; 2nd Giant Slalom, 2006 European Cup, Austria
Discipline: Alpine Skiing
Classification: LW11
Disability: Paraplegic

Shannon Dallas is an alpine sit-skier. He competes in Downhill, Giant Slalom, Slalom and the Super-G.

Shannon will be Australia’s sole representative in Alpine race sitting events in Torino.

Currently ranked 6th in the world in Downhill and 18th in Giant Slalom, Shannon first represented Australia at the 2002 World Cup Finals in Kimberley, Canada.

Since that time, he has placed 4th in the Downhill event at the 2005 World Cup Finals in Klosters, Switzerland and won the Slalom event at the 2005 Australian National Championships.

Since leaving Australia in November 2005, Shannon has recorded fantastic results in the USA and Europe, finishing 2nd in Giant Slalom at the IPC European Cup in Abtneau, Austria and 5th in the same event at the IPC European Cup held in Ptitzal, Austria.

In addition to the grueling training regime he commits to when in Australia, Shannon travels from the NSW Central Coast to Sydney twice a week to train and compete with the Sydney Wheelkings Basketball Team during the National Wheelchair Basketball League season.

In 2000, Shannon was involved in a work accident where he fell through a roof, resulting in paraplegia.

Away from training, Shannon would love to combine his skiing with working with children with a disability and promote disabled skiing in Australia.
Razz
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
13/12/2005 Europa Cup: Pitzal

The Australian Winter Paralympic Squad brought home gold at the opening event of the European ski racing season – The Europa Cup held in Pitzal Austria 9-11 December. Paralympian legend Michael Milton showed fantastic early season form by winning the Super G event, coming 6th in the Slalom and 7th in the Giant Slalom. An excellent result considering recent changes to the classification system at international level means that all standing skiers now compete in the one class.

Other Australians to record impressive results included 2004 Word Champion Cameron Rahles-Rahbula who just missed out on a podium finish in the Giant Slalom and finished 7th in the Super G. 18 year old Toby Kane, who won a Bronze medal at the 2004 World Championships, also showed good early season form with 15th place in the Slalom, 13th in the Giant Slalom and 19th in the Super G.

Shannon Dallas, the sole sit chair skier in the Australian Squad, came 5th in the Giant Slalom 7th in the Super G and 13th in the Slalom. Emily Jansen raced well and is showing form which could see her become Australia’s first female Winter Paralympian, picking up 16th in the Super G.

Steve Graham, Head Coach, Torino 2006 Australian Winter Paralympic Squad: “Given the Squad has only been on the snow for six days, these results are very encouraging. The results are even more impressive given that the conditions during the event did not favour one-legged skiers. Both the Giant Slalom and Super G courses had very flat starts which made getting up to speed difficult for one-legged skiers”.

9/12/05
Slalom

Female Standing Class 16 starters
Emily Jansen Did not qualify for 2nd run (DNQ)

Male Sitting Class 60 starters
Shannon Dallas 13th

Male Standing Class 64 starters
Michael Milton 6th
Toby Kane 15th
Marty Mayberry 32nd
Cameron Rahles Rabula Did not finish 1st run (DNF)
Nick Watts (DNF)
Dean Calabrese (DNF)
Scott Adams (DNQ)

10/12/05
Giant Slalom

Female Standing Class 16 starters
Emily Jansen Did not qualify for 2nd run (DNQ)

Male Sitting Class 64 starters
Shannon Dallas 5th

Male Standing Class 70 starters
Cameron Rahles Rabula 4th
Michael Milton 7thth
Toby Kane 13th
Nick Watts 31st
Marty Mayberry 40th
Scott Adams 42nd
Dean Calabrese (DNF)

11/12/05
Super G

Female Standing Class 17 starters
Emily Jansen 16th

Male Sitting Class 44 starters
Shannon Dallas 7th

Male Standing Class 54 starters
Michael Milton 1st
Cameron Rahles Rabula 7th
Toby Kane 19th
Nick Watts 36st
Marty Mayberry 41th
Dean Calabrese 44th
Scott Adams 45nd

© Australian Paralympic Committee
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just a reminder that the opening ceremony is this evening, with the events proper getting under way Saturday morning.

Paralympicsport.tv can be accessed via this link, with live coverage during the Games. Check it out, the live stream gives a quality picture, and at the moment they have a lot of flashbacks to the 2002 Salt Lake Games...

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 10-03-06 14:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's optimised for IE - but does work with Firefox
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the reminder PG. I thought I had missed it, as haven't seen any adverts on TV for its coverage.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Liz finished 10th in yesterday's women's downhill (standing) - not her favourite event, from talking to her in Tignes!

Today at 10.20 am (11.20 CET) the men's downhill (sitting) is scheduled to get under way (Borgata). Two British representatives, veteran Russell Docker and young gun Sean Rose.

Anyone follow Paralympic tv at all yesterday?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Eurosport coverage (Eurosport 2) begins at 9am this morning.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Great result for Sean Rose, finishing 6th and just half a second outside the medals in today's downhill (sitting)... Russell Docker DNF'd, hope he's ok.
latest report
BBC update on the progress of the Brits...
snow conditions
ALPINE
Men’s Downhill (standing class) at Sestiere-Borgata:

Silver: Michael MILTON (ACT) 1m:19.86s; 9th Toby KANE (NSW) 1:23.20; 31st Nick Watts (NSW) 1:27.67; 33rd Marty MAYBERRY (NSW) 1:27.94; 40th Scott ADAMS (NSW) 1:32.17; 44th Dean CALABRESE (NSW) 1:35.55. DNF (did not finish): Cameron RAHLES-RAHBULA (Vic).

go Milto.... now has 11 paralympic medals.... plus a world record for speed skiing..... Very Happy
snow conditions
Highlights on BBC2 now.
snow report
I am proud of all the athletes who part Very Happy icipated. I'm also very lucky to be good friends with 2 of the athletes - Toby Kane of Australia and Sean Rose - both have (and Sean still does) train at the ski hill I work at in British Columbia, Canada - Kimberley Alpine Resort. These 2 athletes along with so many more are amazing - I wish people would take the time to watch these people compete - and I must say I am disgusted at the little amount of coverage we were able to find here on TV. I know it was on the computer - but not all of us get a chance through the day to watch online. I'm proud of all the atheltes who competed - Joe Thompkins of USA, Tyler Walker, USA, Ralph Green, USA, Scott Adams, Australia - the list goes on and on - congrats everyone - I look forward to hopefully seeing you all again next year at the world cup - hopefully being help in Kimberley again - and Sean - I can't wait to see you and Leana strolling down the aisle at Three Bars. Very Happy
snow conditions
kopes, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
latest report
Hey there....
I was just checking out the big wide web and came across your site.... I'm Emily. I competed at the games in Torino for Australia. Kopes, I'm not sure who you are but we may have met once previously. I skied in Kimberly with Sean, Scotty and Steve Bova in 2004. Anyway I'd just like to say a big hello to everyone. Cheers Em
snow report
kopes, jansene - welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
snow conditions
Name : Emily JANSEN
Nickname : Em
Sport/Section : Alpine Skiing
Discipline/Event : Downhill, Super G, Giant slalom, Slalom
Classification : LW2
City of Residence :
First time participated in your sport :
First time competed in your sport :
First time competed for Australia :
What Event :
Where :
Current Club :
Institute/Academy Scholarship :
Personal Coach :
Best International Results : 3rd in Giant Slalom - Australian Nationals
Years on national team :
Past Paralympic Experience :
Career highlights :
Hobbies/Interests : Watching AFL, Hockey and Cricket
Most Influential Person : Steve Graham/Michael Milton
Heroes/Role Models : Lance Armstrong, Jenifer Capriati, Paula Coghlan, Michael Milton
Greatest sporting moment : Jenifer Capriati vs Martina Hingis - Australina Open Final & Michael Milton smashing the 200km/h barrier in speed skiing
Lowest sporting moment : Seeing Geelong (AFL) lose too many Grand Finals
I Love : Visiting new countries
I Hate : Smoking

Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy