Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lauterbrunnen as a base for Murren and Wengen

Poster: A snowHead
Trying to establish if it's practical to use Lauterbrunnen as a base for a ski trip to the Jungfrau. Typically how long does it take to get up to the slopes of Murren and Wengen? And in the evening is it possible to conveniently get back to base? Advice appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well, the Mountain Railway starts in Lauterbrunnen for Wengen. Murren is down the valley. Long time since I went and I can't remember how we got there !!

Lauterbrunnen is a nice little village for a weeks stay
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yes you can, it's not uncommon since Lauterbrunnen is a bit cheaper than Murren or Wengen it adds about 20-25 mins at each end of the day going up the Wengen side a little longer for the Murren side but you have the advantage of being in a better situation than say a Wengen resident wanting to go to Murren for the day, you might be able to ski down from Murren if theres enough snow but there are no runs from Wengen down.

In the evenings the trains run fairly late from Wengen down, not sure about Murren
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@skidm, Swiss railways have a fairly straightforward timetable covering the journey. It's not a terrible idea, especially if you intend to ski both sides of the area. Wouldn't be my first choice mind you. although the Mürren-Wengen journey if you're in one and want to ski the other is a right old faff.

Quote:

Murren is down the valley

WTF??

Mürren is opposite Wengen on the opposite side of the valley, quite a little bit elevated. Puzzled wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@skidm, I have done it many times. If you are near the station it won't be too bad at all as you can access both sides from there.
On a good day you can even ski back down from Murren.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@skidm, Yes although I usually stay in Wengen I've stayed in Lauterbrunnen 3 times (twice in a hotel and once in an apartment with friends). If you intend spending some of your week's skiing on both the Wengen and Murren sides then it's a good choice, being in the middle so to speak. It also has the advantage that accommodation can be significantly cheaper. The timetable travel time from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen is 14 mins and from Lauterbrunnen to Murren is 20 mins, although most people skiing the Murren area will get out at Winteregg where you take the 4 man chairlift into the ski area, and Winteregg is only 12 mins from Lauterbrunnen.
If you're looking for a hotel in Lauterbrunnen I can recommend the Hotel Schutzen. It's about a 5 minute walk to Lauterbrunnen station. I can also recommend the nearby Airtime internet cafe for great coffees, pastries and brownies!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 3-06-15 12:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
@skidm, Swiss railways have a fairly straightforward timetable covering the journey. It's not a terrible idea, especially if you intend to ski both sides of the area. Wouldn't be my first choice mind you. although the Mürren-Wengen journey if you're in one and want to ski the other is a right old faff.

Quote:

Murren is down the valley

WTF??

Mürren is opposite Wengen on the opposite side of the valley, quite a little bit elevated. Puzzled wink

alright then, Murren is UP the valley from Lauterbrunnen ( I did say it was a long since I went - age dims the memory !!)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@albob, titter wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It is an excellent base and in good snow you can ski down from the Murren slopes as well (demonstrating that it is elevated....).

It is also not too bad to get round to Grindelwald First from Lauterbrunnen - train down to Zweilutschinen (Interlaken direction) and hop over the platform for the up train into Grindelwald itself - totter over the road from the station to the bus station and hop on a bus to Firstbahn. If you ski from Wengen via Kleine Scheidegg to Grindelwald Grund you can still waste a lot of time transferring to First if you do not hit the bus times right at Mannlichenbahn or the Grund Grindelwald train. All on the lift pass as well. On the way back as long as the sun is out the terrace of the Hotel Kreuz in Grindelwald is a pleasant place to have a beer whilst waiting for the next train back.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Top tips, thanks all. Will be there for 3-days and will try to ski most of Murren, Wengen and Grindelwald. Good value accommodation in those areas is in short supply for my trip date. Lauterbrunnen seems a good compromise.

@under a new name, would be interested to know what your 1st choice would be.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

The timetable travel time from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen is 14 mins

noting that to ski, you'll probably want to stay on the train up to Kleine Schiedegg, which is more like 40mins all in? not sure you save much if anything swapping to the Männlichen cable car at Wengen? (I've had queue for 3-4 cars worth on the few times I used it). but of course if you were in Wengen then you'd still have to do that uplift bit anyway.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@skidm, I'd stay in Murren (e.g. the delightful Eiger Guesthouse) or Wengen. But staying down the valley is not really a biggie.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cheers @under a new name, will check it out.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you can get up to Wengen before about 9.30am the Mannlichen cablecar is almost go straight on, trains and cablecar get very bust for about an hour after that as ski school etc starts out and everyone either in school or having dropped people off at school is then trying to get up, I've managed to have a couple of runs to the Mannlichen chairlift before virtually anyone else was on the slopes by just going up 30 mins earlier.

Slopes wise the Mannlichen and Wixi side of the Lauberhorn get the sun earlier than other slopes, if the snow is not great I try to avoid the Lauberhorn after early afternoon as the sun plus vast numbers of skiers can turn the slopes to porridge, the lower slopes from the Godola Middle Station on the Mannlichen or below Brandegg coming down from Kleine Scheidegg stay in the shadow till early afternoon and can often be hard and icy in the morning, at the end of the day theu can be slushy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
One thing I will say about Lauterbrunnen is that during the winter I find it to be quite a dark resort, it's at the bottom of a very deep valley and the winter sun only really gets down there in the middle o the day, not really a problem for a few days but not so great perhaps if staying longer, my personal preference is Wengen but Murren is (almost wink ) as nice
ski holidays
@D G Orf, you're at your hotel while the sun's still up? You're not doing it right!

What happened to the old motto of ski to dusk and apres to dawn?
snow report
@Jonny Jones, if you stay out for more than 2 weeks sometimes it's nice to take a day off from skiing, sometimes you can't ski because all the lifts are closed
snow conditions
Think i missed the boat on this one Sad
snow conditions
Hi

Sorry to ask, as this is an old thread, but...

I'm thinking of staying at Mürren, whilst the majority of the group activities start from the base camp at Lauterbrunnen.

My question is:

Is it feasible to ski down daily from Mürren in the morning to meet up with the group at Lauterbrunnen daily?
It would be a good warm up, I thought. But time-wise, perhaps it is more practical to take the cable car down from Mürren to Lauterbrunnen? The meet up time is 9 am or possibly earlier.

Many thanks for your advice.
snow report
All depends on when you are in Mürren, good choice by the way!.

Today as an example the piste from Winteregg to Lauterbrunnen is closed.

If the piste was open then yes, get off at Winteregg and then ski down to Lauterbrunnen or take the Allmendhubel funicular and ski to Winteregg and then onto Lauterbrunnen
ski holidays
Never been open whilst I was there (mostly March) but in good snow years it is possible. Note this is a narrow piste (zig zag) not really suitable for inexperienced skiers.
snow report
Its always open when i'm there Wink

In the summer its a wide road through the trees so that is the sort of piste it is.
snow conditions
Always be aware that the trains are only half hourly to Wengen so make sure you are at station in good time!
latest report
@Chris Brookes, it doesn't feel like any sort of wide road when you're on 218 DH skis...
ski holidays
Lol
snow conditions
Pretty much accurate info from all contributors. Lauters is my base for the last 14 seasons. The location works for Wengen, Murren and Grindelwald.
I can be on Winteregg chair in 20 mins from the apt door, as quoted Wengen side a little longer via Mann cable car.
The ride around to Grind' is easy on the train, from which a bus takes you to Firstbahn in a further 5 - 6 mins.
Do not Hesitate it works!!
snow report
Its looking amazing at the moment in Murren (thank #murrenlover) -

snow conditions
Thanks so much everyone for your helpful tips. Apologies for the delayed response.

It seemed that the majority of you are leaning towards being based at Lauterbrunnen, with the exception of Chris (based in Mürren?). Thank you for sharing the lovely photo.

Does anyone know of any good sized swimming pool (25m; not spa) in Lauterbrunnen with opening hours during winter? The list I have so far, is quite limited for winter:

https://jungfrauregion.swiss/en/summer/see-and-do/wellness-bathing/bathing/

Many thanks.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
'@Snowblades, I would always suggest Mürren compared to Lauterbrunnen as i want to be close to the slopes and not have the daily issue of either getting the train to Wengen or cablecar/train to Winteregg (to access the Mürren slopes). I also want to wake up and be in an car-free alpine village and not staying on the valley floor...but that is my own opinion Smile

Mürren has a superb 25m swimming pool and an inside and outside jacuzzi -
latest report
Chris Brookes wrote:
'@Snowblades, I would always suggest Mürren compared to Lauterbrunnen as i want to be close to the slopes and not have the daily issue of either getting the train to Wengen or cablecar/train to Winteregg (to access the Mürren slopes). I also want to wake up and be in an car-free alpine village and not staying on the valley floor...but that is my own opinion Smile

Mürren has a superb 25m swimming pool and an inside and outside jacuzzi -

Hi Chris

Thanks for your suggestion.

It is precisely the reason why I considered staying in Mürren in the first instance, but now I am not so sure based on the logistics* outlined by the majority of the posters above.

Many thanks again for your vote for Mürren.
snow report
Plenty of skiing to be had in Mürren without needing to visit Wengen etc. I never go across the valley when there.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 8-01-19 18:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Yes have to concede that the Lauters falls down on swimming pools. I am told the Jungfrau hotel pool is slightly cooler than a dip in the Serpentine!!!!!!
Snowing down here as I type!
snow conditions
16cm so far today at 2332m, tomorrow will be interesting !!
snow conditions
Rogerdodger wrote:
Yes have to concede that the Lauters falls down on swimming pools. I am told the Jungfrau hotel pool is slightly cooler than a dip in the Serpentine!!!!!!
Snowing down here as I type!

@Rogerdodger May I ask if you are referring to the Jungfrau Hotel based in Lauterbrunnen?

According to the tripadvisor, besides bad reviews, there is no swimming pool in that particular hotel:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g285724-d1232805-Reviews-or5-Hotel_Jungfrau_Lauterbrunnen-Lauterbrunnen_Jungfrau_Region_Bernese_Oberland_Cant.html
snow conditions
Chris Brookes wrote:
Plenty of skiing to be had in Mürren without needing to visit Wengen etc. I never go across the valley when there.

True for a general skiing holiday, but @snowblades mentionned that
Quote:
the majority of the group activities start from the base camp at Lauterbrunnen.

Under these circumstances you can't neccessarily control where the group are going to ski, and both meeting up with the rest of the group in the morning, and getting back to a different village at the end of the day, could get quite awkward if not starting/finishing in roughly the same place.

I did a course based out of Lauterbrunnen a couple of years ago and it would have been near impossible logistically if we had not also been in Lauterbrunnen. We did also have off-snow activities in the evening, but for that I was just glad we had fortuitously picked an apartment 2 minutes walk from the rest of the group... the last thing I'd have wanted to do is have to get another bus.
latest report
The piste from Winteregg to Lauterbrunnen will open this Saturday!!
snow report
@Chris Brookes, I bet I miss the full Inferno again... only done it twice... Sad
snow conditions
Yes Snowblades, I was refering to Jungfrau Lauterbrunnen. So it sounds as if the hole has been filled with concrete.
This does avoid the shockingly cold water.
ski holidays
Chris Brookes wrote:
The piste from Winteregg to Lauterbrunnen will open this Saturday!!

Great news! Thanks so much for sharing.

May I ask how often/long will that piste remain open from your previous experiences?
latest report
Weather dependant but as they have invested time and money to open it I guess they will try and keep it open as long as possible

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 11-01-19 14:24; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy