Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The 2018-19 Christmas/New Year drive down Live Chat

Poster: A snowHead
@Boris, Been on the road between Langres and Besancon and caught a glimpse of Mont Blanc. Google maps said it was 260Kms away.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just South of Troyes. Roads not too busy but weather is foul. Very windy and wet (& that’s just inside the car Very Happy ).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We're near Challon and just passed our halfway point. Must stop for fuel soon. It is bucketing down with rain and the road is pretty busy with lots of lorries and spray. Not particularly pleasant driving.

Time to swap drivers.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry chaumont not chalking. I've just woken up
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just passing dry ski slope. Dry but very windy. Next stop Reims
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not been into Reims for a while. Any suggestions for parking near Place Drouet d'Erlon for a high vehicle. All seems to be 1.9m max. Is there still open air parking nearby ?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snow stopped here now, sort of wet sleet instead Sad
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just hitting Dartford crossing. Heavy but moving. Bang on schedule for the ferry at the moment. A dark arrival in Troyes as normal.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just checked into our hotel. V small rooms but nice location in Reims. Champagne o clock
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Heres a video driving from Macot up to La Plagne La Roche best playback at x2 otherwise its a bit boring snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/u0I5E3s_gm8
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In Ernest Hemingway bar if anyone else is in Reims. You can't miss us, we have 2 huge German Shepherds with us.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hell of a journey from Serre to just outside Troyes. Snow over the Col du Lautaret all the way down to the damn at the Deux Alpes junction.

Very slippery and many numpties with chains driving in the middle of the road scared stiff from the looks of things luckily going down hardly any traffic.

We left Serre 13:30 and traffic coming the other way was getting progressively heavier from Grenoble. Vizzille was not too bad but reckon tomorrow could well be a bit of a nightmare and Gilles Jaunes on the RAB.

As has been mentioned autoroute horrendous with heavy spray and rain and so glad to get to where we are which looks to be a cracking find, though will make final judgement tomorrow morning.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Heavy rain most of the way. Not mutch traffic Shocked - just a bit stop going around Munich.

Left CPH 04.30 - 2h ferry - arrived Munich (Putzbrunn)18.00.

Waved at Snowheads at Berlin. Madeye-Smiley

Next leg tomorrow 05.00 Munich - Saalbach.
Have to pick up breaktast on the way - hope to make first lifts.

Now sleep after beer. Skullie
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Now sitting in our les arcs apartment. We got here just before 10. Just in time for a pizza.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It was a tough drive down: heavy traffic, lots of spray and the odd driver with high intensity rear lights on burning my retinas. But still the road up to les arcs was clear.

In total 16 hours door to door
snow report
Early start tomorrow, around 6:00. Hoping to arrive to Chatel for a late lunch.

It's my first drive down, so I may be a bit too optimistic
latest report
Following this thread in anticipation of our drive in 2 weeks time. Looking forward to seeing all that traffic leaving the mountains. Up until 2 days ago I was thinking of making this the last drive and flying from now on. I enjoy driving and enjoy being as much in control as I can be so it looks like I shall be driving for the foreseeable future. Having said that I have just changed my car so have already invested in winter tyres and snowchains so I guess it was a bit of a fantasy anyway.

Good luck and happy travels for all those on the road for Christmas, thinking of you all.
ski holidays
Advice please....driving from just north of Manchester on Christmas Day, quickest way to tunnel??? Google says M62, A1 them M11, Google really doesn’t want you to go down the M1 which seems more obvious ?? iThe train is at 20.20, we can’t leave until 15.00hrs (Christmas dinner) and need to average 70mph !! M6 - M40 is around 10miles longer so is other possibility. Advise on which people think will be quickest bearing in mind roads will be empty !!
latest report
@thunderer, roads should be quiet . I prefer A1 M11 but M1 ok too . Lots of smart motorway though.
latest report
@Hells Bells, Thanks.....which has less Smart motorway
snow report
@thunderer, assuming you have data, use the Google maps app on your smart phone as a sat nav It will give u ou the live traffic situation and tell you the fastest way on the day.
snow conditions
Breakfast stop at aire Dijon - Bragnon. It burned down apparently, temporary shed in place.

Traffic building up, but flowing OK for now

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 22-12-18 9:19; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Just left Reims. All quiet. No GJ or queues.
snow conditions
@thunderer, A1.
snow conditions
See you soon Very Happy
ski holidays
@thunderer, A1...but you will not average 70 MPH unless you are going stupid fast.
snow conditions
Cutting it a bit fine for a 20.20 train seeing as you need to check in by 19.35 . Traffic should be light but there's roadworks with 50mph limits .
snow report
Thank you all, no pee stops then !!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

you will not average 70 MPH unless you are going stupid fast.

this. However, if you miss your allocated train you'll probably be put on one soon after unless they're all full.
snow conditions
@pam w, 20.20 is the last train on Xmas day. Next one is after midnight. Only one train per hour too
ski holidays
ah - well, in that case I'd say that @thunderer, needs to bring forward his Christmas dinner! Not good to sit at Eurotunnel for hours on Christmas Day. Nor to be stopped for speeding en route.
snow report
Agree with pam w: a long drive straight after Christmas Dinner not really sensible - will you resist the wine and liqueurs?
Much better go continental, and have Christmas Meal and Presents on Christmas Eve.
snow report
@pam w, I think there is one at 22.20. Christmas dinner is for twenty so not possible to bring forward, may have to leave without Christmas pudding !! But yes will of course be keeping to the speed limit. I will post if we make the train.
snow conditions
The battery in our doofer has died. Anyone know where I can get it replaced? Currently on the A432 round Lyon
ski holidays
At a page station? Some,at least, have offices on the right just after the gates. What a pain.
snow report
@snowlamb, Which way you heading?
ski holidays
Might be a place at a service station too
snow report
Making good time down to Nuit-st-Georges for lunch stop. Traffic busy though.
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:

We’re going to Les Arcs
snow report
snowlamb wrote:
boredsurfin wrote:

We’re going to Les Arcs

Which autoroutes are you driving on ?
snow conditions