Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The 2018-19 Christmas/New Year drive down Live Chat

Poster: A snowHead
Passed into Austria around 5:45am and quite a queue at a stand still to get out of Austria at Keifersfelden (sp.)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just got on the 7.30am tunnel on the way to Chamonix all good so far.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@johnE,it is only around 2€ extra for each month you use the badge, but (on my account) there's a maximum of 10€ per year. Can be a lot more than 15 seconds saved if it is busy.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arrived cham. The yellow vests let me thro the toll near geneva saved £20. No hold ups bit plenty of traffic.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Driving down on Saturday, does anyone know, if there is more GJ action, if my doofer has scanned through the "first" toll and then the GJ let me through the "charging" toll whether I would be charged? Effectively I wouldn't be ending my journey as far as the tolls were concerned? Thanks
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just setting off for the return journey. After clearing the fresh snow off the car this morning we set off at 10, though the tunnel is booked for 21:50 We hope to get there for 8pm and hopefully get an earlier crossing or at least not be too delayed.
The traffic is pretty heavy but I suppose that is the downside of doing the drive during the day
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just picked up the first peage ticket. Managed without stopping. My son has long arms
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It just took a minute to pay at the chambery peage. Wow it's busy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just got past rheims and my wide has taken over for a stint of driving. After Lyon the traffic has thinned out quite a bit so we are making reasonable progress. Should make Calais about 8. It would be nice to get across the channel before 10.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Today involved lovely soft powder then a smashed ACL. Will be interesting to see how insurers respond to getting our car home from Austria... hoping I get flown home on Friday.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Inboard, sirry to hear that. Do you have overseas breakdown? Mine paid for the vehicle to be repatriated on a loader. the insurance might expect any driver with you to drive it home...I was the only driver that year
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Inboard, OMg, bad luck From others experience on here, their travel insurance didn't cover repatriation unless there were other passengers unable to drive. Have you asked your breakdown company or car insurer about repatriating it if it isn't covered by travel policy ? Is there another driver? If so, they may be expected to bring the car home without you. I know when my hubby was injured and had to be flown home, I was expected to drive the car back. If I had no licence it wouldn't have been a problem, they would have sorted it.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Inboard, oh no. As tot he car. When my other half was in hospital one summer, I drove home with the kids. But when we broke down in the South a few summers later we negotiated to have it brought back on a loader rather than going to collect it. So you might be alright. All the best with the ACL.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks folk, that’s really useful to hear your varied experiences.

My wife is prepared to drive, although she hasn’t driven in Europe before (my fault for always hogging the driving...lesson learnt!), and we have other options for support/ co-drivers. Will certainly take advantage of a vehicle repatriation if available though. Insurance say they’ll be in touch with decisions re me and car tomorrow.

On the bright side it was my 11th day skiing this holiday and at least 9 of those were thoroughly memorable- we’ve seriously lucked out on the fresh powder/ nordstau lottery this year Happy.

Had just been on verge of committing to eosb (our first bash!) but will hold off pending more thorough UK diagnosis and treatment/ recovery prognosis.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@inboard same thing happened to me on Xmas eve. Luckily my other half was happy to drive back to calais from kitzbuhel. It was actually an OK journey home. I hate flying so I was determined to get in the car to avoid the alternative option. Good luck with the knee. I'm still waiting for a proper diagnosis but had an mri in Austria to speed up the process back in the UK. Keep positive Very Happy
latest report
Sorry not to report much on the journey, but apart from a very busy section to Lyon it was very uneventful. My wife drove from Les Arcs to Bourg en Bresse where we had a toilet stop and I took over the driving to just north of Rheims, where we refueled and bought sandwiches. I don't remember ever changing gear and listened to a lot of the tattooist of auschwitz. My wife then did another short stint and I finished up driving to the tunnel. We arrived at 19:30 a 9:30 drive for just over 600 miles.

The queues to the eurotunnel just about the best I have encountered and two and a half hours later entered the UK. My wife drove to Oxford and I continued home, getting home at midnight.

Door to door in 15 hours wasn't too bad compared to the 9 hours it took in November flying.
snow report
Drive home tomorrow......from La Plagne

The busy A6 with the Paris traffic

Or

A39 towards bourg en bresse

??
snow report
@stefoy4me, I always take the A39. Similar distance but quieter roads.
latest report
That’s what I was thinking....
snow conditions
I have always taken the A6 .... Lots of the French seem to have left today in any case....
latest report
Yes didn’t t have to queue for rossa or borseliers today
snow report
@stefoy4me, I always do the A39. I think it is a tad longer and more expensive, but the traffic feals quicker and the drive easier.
snow conditions
So considering going from Morzine to autoroute early
this Sunday via Thonon. Is this a bad idea ?

I find the drive through les gets taninges and cluses v slow and frustrating. We also had some bad traffic last time.

Google says thonon adds 25 min is it really that much more on what I’d think is a peak day?
snow report
@MHskier, don’t go through Cluses. At Taninges go straight on towards St Jeoire - much quicker and easier than Thonon route too which has a longer windy bit than Les Gets route, when getting stuck behind buses etc is more of a time killer
latest report
Thanks nadenoodles
snow conditions
Driving back now from Chatel. Currently at ayre on A40 near Bourg en Bresse having a breakfast stop. Started at 6:00 and went via Anemasse, no traffic to speak of. Hoping to hit the Chunnel around 16:00

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 5-01-19 12:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Lunch stop at Troyes le Plessis. Not much to report, a lot of traffic on the autoroute but moving fast
snow conditions
Long delays at peage after Reims
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Nadenoodlee, ssshhhh.........
snow report
Google maps took us on a short diversion around that jam just past Reims, apparently saved us 1hr 45mins.. was it that bad anyone who stayed in it?

Eurotunnel the epitome of efficiency this evening. Arrived 1hr 35min before departure, on a train 30mins later than booked. They don't even seem that busy!
snow report
About 25 min delay at Riems. Slow but moving.... gillets jaunes our so only two lanes at the peage open. Can imagine the jam got worse later on.

Yes eurotunnel amazingly good as opposed to expectation. Turned up at 6.50 and went on the 8.02.....
snow report
I missed all the fun at Reims apparently by passing it too early.

Checked in to the shuttle at 18:20 after a bit of queuing just in time for our 19:06 crossing.

UK side motorways were a bit busy, but moving smoothly, so arrived home in 1.5h as planned.

All in all 1300 miles round trip including a couple of local trips in Chatel. Very happy with my first ever drive down - so much more flexibility and less stress than even with eurostar ski train, let alone flying. I think I am a convert
ski holidays
@Oleski, I have a 2k round drive & I still prefer driving, I’m currently sat in Geneva airport with a wife that’s not speaking to me due to the chaos of this place
snow conditions
V v quiet so far up from Morzine today. 60miles from Calais and 3.5 hrs ahead of our booking
ski holidays
Will try and get put on an earlier one.
ski holidays
I'd probably choose to have a nice lunch in Calais.
snow report
On our way home. Traffic light. Gilets Jaunes at Vizille roundabout. Just heading onto Rocade round Grenoble.
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, in case you don't know, if you are back to UK this weekend the M20 is closed from junction 11 to junction 9 until 6am Monday.
snow conditions
That nearly caught us trying to make our early shuttle on Tuesday. Luckily we took google maps' projected journey time seriously so were OK. Don't rely on your usual timetable. We took 40 minutes longer than usual in the early hours of the morning on empty roads...

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 12-01-19 19:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@knackered knees, thanks I was aware but haven't got round to checking alternatives yet.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy