Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying Boots but then hiring Skis

Poster: A snowHead
I can only afford boots at the moment which means hiring Skis!! am I making the correct choice in buying boots first? Is it counter productive doing this because I will be using rental skis? or is it best to wait and buy both together?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Definitely buy boots and rent skis. You can’t put a price on comfy feet....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Did this for a very long time. Definitely worth buying.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@NewSki, This is exactly what you should do. Get your own boots and worry about skis later.

I'm assuming you are new-ish to skiing...
When buying boots be honest, don't overinflated your ability. If you do the boot fitter will give you something that is too stiff for you. Also, if a boot fitter says to you (I'm again assuming you are relatively new) "how do these feel" then think. How should they feel?

I certainly never knew when I was learning.

Anyway...assumptions over.... ask again for recommendations of fitters on here.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@NewSki, yes, what they call a no brainer.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
First thing I did ...but go to a good boot fitter ..theres nothing worse than uncomfortable boots!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have my own skis and boots but still hire skis some trip. My upcoming trip is from Australia to France solo with a number of train trips. Sometimes it’s just not worth the hassle to take them.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
buy boots & rent skis
Its not economical to buy skis.
1) rental gives you a chance to try different skis, types, brands, etc.
2) rental will allow you to use skis to suit your ability.
3) sports equipment carriage on a plane can be more costly than renting beginner/intermediate skis.
4) if you get a problem, you can take the skis back to the shop as well as the shop servicing them, etc.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Buy boots first, and skis later (it is economical if you drive or fly with airlines that allow you to take a ski bag as your check baggage). Also gives you a chance to try different skis. Note down make, model and length of the hire skis and read up about them. Swap the skis during the week. Then you’ll have a much better of idea of what you want when it’s time to buy (eg end of season sales)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The rental shops are also fine with you using your own boots, just take them with you when you hire as they'll set them up to fit and release correctly on the skis you rent.

Well worth starting with a pair of your own boots as you'll also find socks that suit you and the fit you've got, so you'll be good to ski as soon as you get the skis rented.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Definitely boots first, just skied for the first time in my first pair of bought boots and even with a couple of niggles (which I'll be taking to the fitter to look at) the difference in comfort and feel from hire boots is massive. And stability for me, as I have odd feet and always used to end up in boots which were too big, with huge heel movement.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Buy boots, rent skis. Find a good boot fitter (lots of advice on here).

Several threads discussing the merits of buying skis against renting. @Mr.Egg put the pros for renting in a egg shell. snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Grachen, @NickyJ, @GlasgowCyclops, @PeakyB, @DaveD, @Raven, @Mr.Egg, @Themasterpiece, @ski3, @ElzP, @NeddySkiGoon,

Thank you all
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Buying boots is a very good investment. I and all my skiing friends have our own boots (all used to have are own skis, but prefer to rent). Buy in the UK, I purchased in Kitzbuhel recently and comparing my friends purchase at Ellis Brigham, (Castleford) yesterday, the difference in customer service was immense.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For the vast majority of UK skiers skiing abroad renting is cheaper, better, more effective and easier than buying skis. For somebody in their first five or maybe ten weeks of learning then there is absolutely no point in buying skis. If you drive, or fly Swiss, and don't mind lugging them about, then buy if you wish.

Boots though, buy them. Possibly worth using rentals for the first couple of weeks otherwise you will be buying new boots again quite quickly.
snow report
ski3 wrote:
The rental shops are also fine with you using your own boots, just take them with you when you hire as they'll set them up to fit and release correctly on the skis you rent.

You only need to take ONE boot to the hire shop with you as they both boots in a pair will be exactly the same sole length.
snow report
I know they've usually always done it with one boot for as long I remember, but friends using their own boots last season were asked for both.

It was explained to them that the shop liabilities were not covered off without the fitter seeing both as they were not part of the shop supply stock, and as such would be outside insurance remit unless checked for condition and fit.

I can see that legal pathway and it's easier to let them cover off their own liability to customer, so you may or may not get the request for the pair.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy