Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi
I am considering upgrading my skis. I currently have Elan white/black magic that are about 73? Underfoot. We do ski a lot in spring snow so I was thinking of getting a wider ski underfoot.

I’m not sure how wide to go or what length to get.

My current ones are 146cm. I am 158 cm tall at 60kg on a bad day!

Currently I have seen some rossingnol 84’s also at 146.

Any advice is appreciate! Intermediate skier mainly reds and blues!! Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you do not know what you want to buy and why, then keep using your old skis until you do. Skis are skis, and your current ones work. You do not seem to be saying you want to do anything which suggests you might be better with new skis or different skis. If you are going to continue skiing on pisted reds and blues in spring time, then continue to use your current skis.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@stacetop, when you say you "ski a lot in spring snow" do you mean off piste?

As @Bigtipper says maybe a bit more insight on what you are trying to acheive and why...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
No we mainly go in April to the alps or ski in Scotland on the rare occasion!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@stacetop, Do you have these ones currently? https://www.skimag.com/gear/elan-black-magic-2016 (maybe not the same year)

What are your concerns about your current skis? What is it that you don't like? I have an idea, but it's better if you see it yourself rather than me telling you...

In my experience of testing skis in spring snow, there are two ways you can go – big and fat with plenty of rocker will smash through slushy spring moguls with ease, or narrow and stiff to slice your way down. An intermediate-ish 84 is neither of these things, but probably more versatile overall. If that's what you want, I'd go a bit stiffer than the current one, maybe a little longer, and then make sure you have the skills to handle them.

Hire shops have plenty of this type of ski though, so you should be able to test a few out before you buy.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
They won’t be too dissimilar to those they are the white version of black magic possibly 2014 ones!

I actually like them a lot not sure why I want new ones! They carve nicely.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@stacetop, Then stick with what you know! You could always hire something different for a couple of days on your next trip and see how you get on.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BOOOOO you should all be ashamed of yourselves

[Insert meme about when people tell you you don't need new skis, don't talk to them, don't need that negativity, etc]

-------------

You have pistes skis. They will work well on cold mornings when the snow is re-frozen and nasty. Get yourself something fun for when the snow softens and gets gloriously slushy, and open up a whole new (more enjoyable) dimension of skiing. Nothing too crazy, maybe 85mm wide or so, fairly soft, and maybe twin tips just for giggles and spraying rooster tails. Something like the K2 Missdemeanor would probably work very well (and you can probable get the 2015 or so versions somewhere for peanuts).

Job done and smiles all round!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@clarky999, Seems a bit conservative wink If you're going to go to the trouble of having two pairs, then the whole point is to go a bit crazy! I've got a pair of stiff-ish 84s, and in spring they go out in the morning because they're great on refrozen pistes, but they go back in the locker at lunch time to be replaced by something 95+.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy