Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bad experience custom footbeds

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Sorry to talk about footbeds again but here I go Laughing

Had them fitted at snow and Rock. Within 5mins on the snow it felt like the footbeds where really up inside my arches. This caused the bottom of my feet to feel like they where on fire. They went numb and then freezing cold. Long story short I took them back 4 times and changes where made that didn't work. I then got a full refund and he said "custom footbeds just ent for you. It happens"

What now? The standard atomic ones feel fine. Not as supportive as the custom ones obviously but still OK..

Anyone had any similar experiences?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@dave_3, different feet react differently to different products, guessing based on where they were made that they were made standing (weight bearing), if you want better support then what you get from the stock insole then it might be worth trying a pair of Superfeet off the shelf or custom ones, the custom ones are made with no weight on your foot

now, as to what has happened, ( a little will depend on exactly how they made them but) my best guess without seeing your foot is that your plantar fascia is very tight or prominent, this would mean that you are standing on this band of soft tissue rather than the whole of the bottom of your foot, if you lift up your toes and feel into the arch is there a band of prominent fascia/muscle/tendon type material, you eill feel it and it may be very tender
if so then you can roll this out on a massage ball or mini foam roller to stretch it and reduce any scar tissue and you can have what is called a plantar fascial groove put into the footbed, this is basically a channel to let the fascia sit in suspension so that load goes through the whole of the boot of the foot and not just the bad

hope that helps
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Get them to change the boot & start again.
They sold you a product & done it wrong
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
CEM wrote:
@dave_3, different feet react differently to different products, guessing based on where they were made that they were made standing (weight bearing), if you want better support then what you get from the stock insole then it might be worth trying a pair of Superfeet off the shelf or custom ones, the custom ones are made with no weight on your foot

now, as to what has happened, ( a little will depend on exactly how they made them but) my best guess without seeing your foot is that your plantar fascia is very tight or prominent, this would mean that you are standing on this band of soft tissue rather than the whole of the bottom of your foot, if you lift up your toes and feel into the arch is there a band of prominent fascia/muscle/tendon type material, you eill feel it and it may be very tender
if so then you can roll this out on a massage ball or mini foam roller to stretch it and reduce any scar tissue and you can have what is called a plantar fascial groove put into the footbed, this is basically a channel to let the fascia sit in suspension so that load goes through the whole of the boot of the foot and not just the bad

hope that helps

Thanks for the info. A channel was already cut on my second visit to take stress off the tendons but this only fractionally helped. When I lift my toes up I can feel a tendon underneath. It's not prominent though. I have to fish about for it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@dave_3, I think it goes to show the point of comments made in other posts about being careful about who makes them and if they really know what they're doing.
All I can say, not being overly knowledgeable about foot physiology, but having worn custom and off the shelf 'arch supports' for many a year, is that when I first got my custom fit orthotics I was told that they might cause discomfort and arch pain, etc, and that I needed to wear them in a few hours a day, presumably until my feet and brain got used to what they were correcting. They were right! Burning and sore and tired arches and numbness (and that's in normal boots.)
I generally find that when I have what I feel are properly fitting and supportive insoles in my ski or mountain boots, I often have to undergo a wearing in time too. In ski boots especially, a slight foot position adjustment can cause quite significant discomfort, numbness etc. Ideally it should all be comfy from the get go but, hey, this is ski boots: it may well need a few sessions (not 5 minutes) to see if it all wears in as the boots & liners mould and wear in to your feet. (Bear in mind any initial boot and liner fitting/heating would have been done without these footbeds, so your feet might have been in different positions one way and another, so the liner is no longer shaped to your foot as repositioned by the new foitbeds.)
I cannot say if you need support or correction (e.g. for fallen arches or valgus/varus knees) or not, but wouldn't be surprised if it took a bit of time to get used to being put in a 'proper' foot and leg alignment, if that is indeed the case and if the footbed was properly and correctly made to provide this (which is an assumption in itself) and properly positioned within the boot. If someone has been used to walking or moving in a specific way and this is then 'reset' it is only to be expected.
And if nothing is being corrected, then what is the real point of having custom footbeds?
I don't accept that some people are not meant to have custom footbeds; that's just the shop person admitting that they can't make them (or that you have foot issues for which someone more qualified is needed).
But, at the end of the day, you got your money back and your Atomic ones are comfortable. If you don't have issues like pronating feet or non-aligned knees, nor other boot fit issues or pain, then I guess you can get away without footbeds. Or else go to another bootfitter and get their opinion in person.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
+ 1 for Superfeet. I had a holiday spoiled by the same issue. LD Mountain had fitted them (admittedly the night before I flew).
When I went back in they swapped them out for a pair of Superfeet and had me wear them about the shop for an hour. Since then I 'm pleased to say I haven't had any problems.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@dave_3 a bit will depend on the definition of "channel" sometimes a little is enough sometimes you need the grand canyon under there to take the pressure off, it is to do with placement and the flexibility of the foot and the device... the basic rule goes rigid foot flexible device, flexible foot more rigid device, but that is a generalization it is also the reason i offer three brands of custom insert all made in different ways and of different stiffness's

at least they did the right thing, admitted they couldn't help and refunded you the money, but don't see it that you cannot have the best support, it just might need to be a little different

@Grizzler, there are some people who cannot tolerate any level of support or correction, they are certainly not the majority but they do exist, sometimes a different product works sometimes nothing is going to solve certain problems....i have seen orthotic inserts made by some of the best podiatrists in the world which have caused pain to their users and some of the shittiest looking things i have ever seen are loved by the patient... 100% it is a very personal thing mostly the monkey grinding the crank has a lot to do with the result but not in every case... the mechano-receptors in the brain process information form the foot in different ways in each and every one of us
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy