Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier Snow Report 2018/2019-and useful links

Poster: A snowHead
Well as this topic is for the coming season, thought should go in a new thread for the coming season!

Ok confused, thought new lift was starting above Pointless on the chemain above skid alley?

This just in from Serre Che Press Tourist Office!

▶ New « Cote Chevalier » chairlift (Villeneuve area)
A brand new 6-person high-speed chairlift will be replacing the actual « Cote Chevalier ».
Getting from Villeneuve to Chantemerle will be much easier and much faster (3000 people/h instead of 1800), with fewer pylons.
The bottom station of the new Cote Chevalier chairlift will be located below the Frejus chairlift.
The top of the lift will be the same. 10 million euros have been invested in this new lift.
Serre Chevalier Pressroom

So all the plans I've seen and asking pistuers last season was that the lift would start 150m above Pontilllas.

I really do hope the Press Office is right and that plans have been subsequently changed.

I'm back out next Wednesday so will make it a priority to go and take an actual look, as we like to run / hike up to Pi Mai in the summer.

That's if KenX doesn't get up there on his E-Bike / Lift before me Toofy Grin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Weathercam, Very Happy
Also heard they're taking out the Frejus chair and the Pre du Bois drag, which will impact our off-piste somewhat..........
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@KenX, we all saw the plans, seemed everyone was singing from the same hymn sheet, no matter how illogical it was, and now this, which is the more logical option to replace the "shitty" chair as well!
I have my doubts as how do you get all the mini Club Meds to Frejus Nursery sector unless you bus them to Frejus gondola?
We'll suss it out next Wed as should be more than obvious as to where it starts, lunch (cokes) at Pi Mai !
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
from the best site for keeping track on new lifts in france, lots of info and photos on the new cote chevalier lift, building diary
https://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=29353

And if you can read french
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.remontees-mecaniques.net%2Fforums%2Findex.php%3Fshowtopic%3D29353&edit-text=

in yellow, the new lift trajectory

snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Onnem, that's one of the sites we were looking at last year, and when I say "plan" that's what I was referring to.

In fact in last season's thread we were discussing the bigger picture that is proposed for Serre going out the next ten or so years with various new lifts planned and in June Folie Douce announced that they were going to be behind the 1,000 beds being built roughly at the bottom of my road, where the horse riding center is.
https://www.ledauphine.com/hautes-alpes/2018/06/28/la-folie-douce-souhaite-investir-a-serre-chevalier

That image above, of the new lift (yellow line) is the basis of our discussion here, as the Press Release says that the start, (bottom of the yellow line) is now going to be below D !!!

D is what we refer to as the "shitty chair" as is currently the lynch pin in getting people to the Frejus sector from Club Med.

I still think the Press Office have got it wrong as there's no way plans can change so quickly as surveys would have had to take place etc and not least an increase in costs
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Further digging around - would indeed seem that the "shitty" chair is no more Sad

And now Pointless is really going to live up to its name!

Whilst this will not impact many, it will affect Club Med in a big way and not least yours truly and team for first tracks though we have other options.

For me it was the plentiful car parking at Pointless that was always the attraction for going there, now all around Frejus will be even more of a bun fight, but at 08:30 it's never too bad Cool

snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Weathercam, I've just been looking at those photos too. Pointless was always pointless for us in any case, but I guess it wasn't for you. And next year, it is Monetier's turn for some lift upgrades I believe.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm surprised @KenX, hasn't suggested the obvious strategy?

Put skins on whilst going up in Pointless then skin the ten mins to the new lift 😁
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Weathercam, I'm surprised too, as the thought had occured to me.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Seems the whole thing is a bit of a fiasco / debacle!

Well at least that's the view from top honcho of ski school (who also owns the Cocoon) who I've spoken to, as well as a couple of senior local ESF instructors along with David who's been working on the "shitey" chair ever since I can remember!

Would seem that the lift Co took no notice of the ESF as they evidently raised the issue about the impending balls up.

There might be a chance that they'll leave the Pres du Bois drag for another season, but that does not help getting to the Frejus sector with the only way being the Gondola or via Gaultier chair, both of which often are shut in bad weather!

Eyes were rolled and shoulders shrugged when I asked what Club Med will do, apart from bus people to Frejus.

OH came up with an interesting conspiracy theory in that it's almost as if the Lift Co have gone out of their way to wee wee Club Med off, maybe there's been some sort of financial fallout, especially as Club Med is no longer French ?

It's going to be a good three or four years before they extend Pointless and that's if the Folie Douce does happen, which a couple of knobs in the know that I've spoken to said it will along with three restaurants / night club etc etc

And without sounding too much like WhiteGold, who the feck would make that sort of investment at 1,400m - as much as I think where I live is the dogs dooberies even I would question the investment logic of the project?

But presume a whole load of parameters come in for consideration, not least where at altitude in a ski resort could you build a 1,000 beds and the land here is probably as cheap as chips in comparison to said altitude ski resorts?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I am looking for some general info on the area as we are likely to come to serre next Easter (1st week april) as the little one is there for school trip the week after and we can dump her with the school group eaiser than travelling back to UK and sending her out again if we went elsewhere.

Is there a main area to look for somewhere to stay? Looking for somewhere close to lifts as being pack horse daddy means I have to carry more kit than is possible. Easyish home runs would be good.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Little Martin, Good choice Very Happy
Location, would it make sense to be in the same village as your kid?
Villeneuve or Chantemerle would be easiest logistics either way, blue and green runs down to Villeneuve, only green to Chantemerle or download on the gondola...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Little Martin, how many of you are there and what sort of accommodation are you looking for, and what age are the children?
Three main villages, Chantemerle, Villeneuve, Monetier, and the town of Briancon at the lower end. There's a blue down to Monetier, blues and greens to Villeneuve, and green to Chantemerle.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Climbed up to the summit of Le Chenaillet from Cervieres with @Skevinski the other day, fabulous views over Montgenevre with Mont Chaberton on the right and the Vanoise massif in the far background:

IMG_0119

On the way down, we came across this, @skevinski reckoned it'd be "a nice little project for the autumn for you", hmmmmmm

IMG_0121
ski holidays
@KenX, maybe, would make it easier but we will have a car probably so not the end of the world if I need to drive to another village, just checked the letter and it says they are staying in Hotel Plein Sud, Chantemerle

@Hells Bells, just the 3 of us, my wife, myself and child. Looking for anything at the moment just looking at what's available, but probably apartment, we will either fly out Saturday or Sunday, but would leave on the Sunday to make sure we are there on the Saturday for the handover.
latest report
@Little Martin, check my signature, and see if my apartment appeals. 200m to Monetier lifts, pool, lovely views, etc etc.
snow conditions
I read over the weekend the resort has stored tons of snow from last seadon & only expects to lose 20-25% throughout the summer!
latest report
Must be in an underground bunker then because I’ve not spotted any....
snow report
KenX wrote:
Must be in an underground bunker then because I’ve not spotted any....

nope my mistake.
its Courchevel who's been snow farming.
Well I knew it began with C snowHead
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/news/european-ski-resorts-preserving-vast-amounts-of-snow/
ski holidays
@Mr.Egg, Laughing
ski holidays
Will be following this thread.

I’ve decided to try Serre for the first time in February 2019. Will be there first week of February so hopefully should just miss the holiday rush.

I’m in the Three Valleys the week before so will be an interesting contrast Very Happy
ski holidays
More info on the Folie Douce plans for here

http://www.stylealtitude.com/serre-chevalier-folie-douce-2020.html
snow report
@Hells Bells, Thanks for pointing out your place, we've decided to go somewhere near where my daughter will be staying the week later to make it easier to move bags/kit around and so she knows the area better.
latest report
I've now booked Easter in Serre, fly into Turin.

Looking at lift passes, they seem to make it more complicated than it needs to be, why have 2 names for a lift pass depending on number of days you want to go!
snow report
Hi, does anyone have any advice on finding an apartment for the season in Serre Chevalier? I’ve tried the estate agents, the Maison des Saisonniers, and Le Bon Coin, buy am not turning up much available!
latest report
@Queequeg, ask on the Facebook group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/822302667856904/
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, Thanks will give it a go!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The weather has got much colder this afternoon, clouds over the mountain tops, and thunder for a while. They've closed the top of the Galibier in preparation for snowfall overnight.
ski holidays
and there's a wee dusting on the tops of Grand Pres and Yret that I can see from my window. Pics to follow.
ski holidays
A beautiful morning here, and the trees are doing their thing.

Over the next couple or weeks the Larch Mélèze trees will gradually turn fiery-orange.

You can see then gradually turn via our webcam
ski holidays
Weather a bit dank currently and chilly and quite a noticeable difference in temps from the valley floor to being at altitude as I've found out recently, both cycling and hiking so now makes sense to carry extra clothing for all weather eventualities if venturing up the hill be it on foot or bike.

This morning we've had a dusting on top of Eychauda as you can just about make out.

Plan is tomorrow is to run up and see the new lift and try and make out what the hell all the major earth works are we can see from here, maybe they're putting in some sort of temporary lift from Pointless to the new lift ?

Though I doubt it!
snow report
There are some photos of the new lift etc on the Serre Chevalier Facebook page this morning https://www.facebook.com/610632498993279/posts/2078830215506826/
snow conditions
@Hells Bells, I just said to the other half as there are so many 4x4s going up and down will be a hassle with the dogs if we run up there and some of those photos clearly show the earth works we can see from where we are.(red arrow)

Just be interesting with all those earth movers if they have done anything to the pistes there, especially skid alley and the river gulley down from Pi Mai just in front of the Vallons chair
snow report
@Weathercam, as far as I can make out, they have been doing something to Lacets (obviously), but not to anything else. Or at least that was the crack here I think. https://www.serreche-ski.net/topic/1168-travaux-%C3%A9t%C3%A9-2018/?page=6 . (May have been somewhere else, no time to get the translation out).
latest report
@Hells Bells, yes, a lot of earth works and a bit of widening to the existing piste but nothing else.

We ran up to Pi Mai and the lady owner, whose name escapes me, came out to see us as she knows us well as she loves the dogs and thinks we're a tad bonkers running up there; and we were talking about how crazy it all is and she inferred (don't think it was lost in translation) that Pointless will be extended next year ?????!!!!!

So video shows just how close the two are

http://youtube.com/v/qfseXP_o8EU

and the distances / vertical between them

ski holidays
Just get those skins out and up you go. !!
ski holidays
They'll probably open it at 09:30 making it pointless to take Pointless
snow report
Stunning autumnal weather currently, and nigh on a week of solid sunshine and temps in the 20's, and then...................

Various forecast models keep changing but one things for sure looks like it will be a cold snap.

Two years ago there was a fair amount of snow at altitude and some of our hikes / bike rides were curtailed because of it!
ski holidays
We did go ski touring in Montgenevre though........ Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy