Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alps suggestions needed :)

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for some resort suggestions. Our second time skiing, we did go Andorra before. However, we are now advanced (cautious) skiers. This is the criteria, 10 days, 3 days skiing, 3 days off, 3 days skiing. So we would really like somewhere that we can do things on the days off. We'd also like to ski a glacier and also off piste (once) via a helicopter. We'd prefer a ski in, ski out, mid january, hotel or apartment. Alps or somewhere in Europe. Our other interest is abandoned buildings, so if we can combine the two that would be great but we know that would be difficult.

Any suggestions would be great Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
After 1 skiing trip you are not *advanced* skiers!

If you've not skied off piste before you have no business being on an unpisted glacier. If you just want pisted runs on a glacier you have plenty of choices tignes, Chamonix, Zermatt etc. There's no real difference between a piste on a glacier and a regular no glacier piste though. Generally the big benefit of glacier skiing is that it's (at least in theory) skiable year round. In mid Jan everything should be open anyway so no real benefit.

Technically there is no heliskiing in France. So you are looking at Austria, Italy, or Switzerland.

Zermatt seems to tick a lot of your boxes
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Check out the Monta Rosa in Italy. Heli skiing and glaciers on your second trip is ambitious.
Also Pila, there’s heli skiing close by and glaciers also your a lift away from Aosta which has lots of roman remains.
As for abandoned buildings there are resorts in italy which have bits of WW1 fortifications on the top of the mountains, the Marmolada springs to mind but you would need some research.
I would say with such ambition a course with a guide/instructor would be a wise first step.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can heli-ski from the Domaine de Petit St Bernard (La Rosiere), the only resort in France that offers it. You take off from Italy and ski back to France but I'm doubtful that you would be able to manage on only your 2nd ski trip even if you do consider yourselves advanced skiers. There are however lots of abandoned buildings on the border between France and Italy including a Napoleonic fort and the old hospice of the St Bernard monks on the Col de Petit San Bernardo, although that has now been turned into a refuge.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Advanced? Well done Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@alexb123a, Aosta Valley. Ski Courmayeur, La Thuile, Cervinia (glacier resort-ish), stay in Aosta town itself at some point, plenty of old/dodgy/deserted buildings in and around the valley.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bear in mind heli skiing in Europe is no guarantee of quality snow.

A helitour round Monterosa is well worth it on a clear sunny day however.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Do you mean second time skiing in Europe (as in you're Aus or US based or something), or second time skiing? If it's that latter then heliskiing possibly a stretch for a second trip.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You can piste heli-ski in Zermatt, from the village up to Plateau Rosa and take in the Matterhorn vista en-route Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
According to his previous posts he learnt at Manchester and has been to Andorra once (2016/17), didn't ski last winter due to serious health issues. Says that because of these issues needs to "ski like an intermediate/advanced". So this is his second ever skiing holiday.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tarrantd wrote:
According to his previous posts he learnt at Manchester and has been to Andorra once (2016/17), didn't ski last winter due to serious health issues. Says that because of these issues needs to "ski like an intermediate/advanced". So this is his second ever skiing holiday.

This could be a popcorn opportunity snowHead snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Lee Shaw, legally you are getting a heli taxi from the bottom of the 'run' in France. This is available from La Ros, Val D'Isere, Tignes and probably lots of others in France. Same principles as he'll skiing but in reverse.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

http://youtube.com/v/EK1WhXH0bhI

Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Dolomites will fit the bill nicely. The skiing is well suited to skiers in their second week.

There are a lot off WW1 stuff around and there are organised 'war tours'

eg https://www.altabadia.org/en/winter-holidays/italian-alps/first-world-war-ski-tour.html

There is an area called Marmolada which has some more challenging skiing including off piste routes but we are talking a guide, avalanche transceivers and general avi gear for these more serious tours. .
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Mr.Egg, Thanks for that Laughing
ski holidays
While your at it, don't forget to get really drunk, and run full speed down the steepest piste you can find. I can also recommend trying a wingsuit from the top of Aquille du midi - No experience needed! After that you can head over to La Plagne, and try out the speedskiing-track there - Again minimal experience needed! You are gonna have so much fun, and will look back at your second week of skiing, and just think: Wow i made it!
snow report
Just make sure there is no one around you, so you only kill yourself and may be damage a tree or two.
latest report
Lol thanks for the replies, I'm keen to stay within my limits, thats why I posted. I will have a study of the options now Smile
latest report
One other question I had, I know they do controlled avalanches, is there anywhere you can ride them on a surfboard? Only kidding Smile I'd love to see a controlled avalanche (from a safe distance) is there anywhere this is possible?
snow report
Quote:

After 1 skiing trip you are not *advanced* skiers!

This! You may be competent but I doubt you're advanced - check out many of the "What Level Am I?" videos on Snow School sites, here's the range from New Generation

This is their Advanced https://www.skinewgen.com/find-your-level/adult-ski-levels/

http://youtube.com/v/GAvNOBDTYbU

Obviously feel free to post video of yourself to prove us all wrong
snow conditions
@Mr.Egg, I loved that. As other have mentioned Aosta is a good bet, as the town is old and the good is great.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy