Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Autoroute tolls

Poster: A snowHead
Had a sanef tag 3 yrs ago which I returned after use to stop charges. I now need to set up a new account as they closed it via emovis but all the charges add up before you’ve paid a toll.

Is there a cheaper way for a one off trip?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
https://www.atmb.com/en/our-offers/etp-subscription/light-vehicles/liber-t-evasion

cheaper than the sanef offering setup wise. I got mine within 3--4 days. 1.90euro every month the tag is used plus deposit of 11euros and postage of around 4 (setup cost)....PLUS any tolls incurred when being used of course.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
APRR charge 2 Euros each month you use it. Any month you don't use it there is no charge.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes looks like emovis add a big margin on each element. Thanks for this. So no need for a French bank account or credit card ?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Pedlad, If just doing one trip why not pay by credit card at the toll booth, if the gilets jaunes are still protesting it may be free anyway.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
no need for french bank account or card for the liber-t tag. I set it up with my UK card.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pedlad wrote:
Yes looks like emovis add a big margin on each element. Thanks for this. So no need for a French bank account or credit card ?

Mine gets paid from my UK CC (Halifax Clarity).

Website is French only and when I did it you had to enter 00000 for postcode.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When booking the tunnel for Summer trip, they had some link deal with a Liber-T tag company. Meant the deposit was free. Like other posters have said, €1.90 per moth used plus tolls incurred. Worth checking out if you are booking the tunnel to cross into Europe.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dougie wrote:
When booking the tunnel for Summer trip, they had some link deal with a Liber-T tag company. Meant the deposit was free. Like other posters have said, €1.90 per moth used plus tolls incurred. Worth checking out if you are booking the tunnel to cross into Europe.

Yes they are still sort of doing that, but with emovis. As the OP says it adds up because there is an annual fee of 6€(+VAT), security deposit of 20€ and monthly fee of 5€(+VAT) for the months that you use it (capped at 10€ per year but you might be unlucky and travel out in one month and back in another). They also charge you a %age fee each month for paying in sterling. I still have one and to be honest as mostly being a sole driver in UK car it does make for less stress. They are not really being very generous when you have saved them either the card transaction fee or some of the wages of the collection staff if you pay cash (as a surprisingly large proportion of french people still seem to).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@skitow yes that was my thoughts on cost
I'm a bit torn as paying up helps the flow through the trip as no need to hunt for coins or wake non driver.
@rjs by credit card I guess you mean the normal toll lanes. Does anyone know if they accept pre loaded currency cards such as fairfx? I know the supermarket fuel pumps don't.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That ATMB site is loads cheaper so ordered one there. Thanks.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skitow wrote:
Dougie wrote:

Yes they are still sort of doing that, but with emovis. As the OP says it adds up because there is an annual fee of 6€(+VAT), security deposit of 20€ and monthly fee of 5€(+VAT) for the months that you use it (capped at 10€ per year but you might be unlucky and travel out in one month and back in another). They also charge you a %age fee each month for paying in sterling. I still have one and to be honest as mostly being a sole driver in UK car it does make for less stress. They are not really being very generous when you have saved them either the card transaction fee or some of the wages of the collection staff if you pay cash (as a surprisingly large proportion of french people still seem to).

Thats why i posted the ATMB link as its better value on setup!

Pedlad, glad it helped!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pedlad wrote:
Does anyone know if they accept pre loaded currency cards such as fairfx? I know the supermarket fuel pumps don't.

The tolls do, they're all I use. So do the filling stations, it's just inconvenient because they preauthorise a large payment which takes a while to expire.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sproot, unfortunately the merchant services don't handle filling station payments well - the authorisation amount (displayed on the pump) is marked immediately but it takes a while for the payment transaction to be matched against the authorisation request and the surplus released. Having operated fuel pumps with high limits (aeroplanes) for some years, I am accustomed to the complaints from customers ("You've taken £X from my card" - no, I haven't) - but there was nothing I could do about it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yeah, that's what I meant, it's a pita but they do work in an emergency.
ski holidays
I have an AREA toll fob. Their website is in English and although I have a French bank account they accept any bank account with an IBAN/SWIFT number.

http://www.area-enligne.com/Area/accueil.aspx?site=AREA&lang=EN&page=ACCUEIL
snow report
Layne wrote:
APRR charge 2 Euros each month you use it. Any month you don't use it there is no charge.

Same here - we have used an APRR unit for many years - no need to return them - www.aprr.fr, it took a couple of weeks to arrive from France and bills to a UK credit card.
ski holidays
If I’m going to be driving from Calais to Mons in Belgium to Heidelberg in Germany to my accommodation in Austria and then on the way back from Austria to Aosta to Val D’Isere back to Calais is it worth me getting a windscreen tag?
I will be driving by myself so I don’t really want to have to get out of the car every time to put the credit card in. I can’t reach by leaning over the passenger seat so I have to get out.
Will I only need to pay tolls in France or are they in Italy as well?

Also whilst I’m in Aosta I will be going through the Mont Blanc tunnel to go to Chamonix and will be travelling to Courmayeur Cervinia etc.
What is the best windscreen tag for me?
ski holidays
@VolklAttivaS5, You will have to pay tolls in Italy too. The Calais-Dunkerque-Lille-Tournai-Mons bit doesn't have tolls.

I guess I have longer arms than you, I don't bother with a tag.
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, The motorways in Italy are toll roads and as far as I know a French Telepeage will not work in Italy. Of course there is a separate toll for the Mont Blanc tunnel. Be prepared for getting out of the car a lot.
ski holidays
rjs wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5, I guess I have longer arms than you, I don't bother with a tag.

in a right hand drive car Shocked
latest report
johnE wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5, The motorways in Italy are toll roads and as far as I know a French Telepeage will not work in Italy. Of course there is a separate toll for the Mont Blanc tunnel. Be prepared for getting out of the car a lot.

The link I posted above is to the new Telepeage fobs that work across Europe. They work in Italy.
snow report
@bar shaker, ok thanks
So AREA is the best one to have?
Does ATMB not work in Italy?
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:
rjs wrote:

Yeah I’m 5ft 6 and female so my armspan isn’t quite wide enough not without risking dropping the card or parking too close to a kerb
So I just get out
snow report
How long does it take for them to send you the AREA fob and how do you stick it on the inside of the windscreen?
snow report
It's not such a bad idea to get out, when the toll booths are far apart. Bit of a leg stretch, a few breaths of cold fresh air! It's a few minutes in a long journey. Not sure why people get their knickers in quite so much of a twist about it.
snow report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:
rjs wrote:

Yeah I’m 5ft 6 and female so my armspan isn’t quite wide enough not without risking dropping the card or parking too close to a kerb
So I just get out

I don't know anyone who can reach the machine on the left from a RH drive car - maybe he is 7ft 6. I always get out... sometimes have to open the door and half get out if I am sitting on the left! (short arms!)
snow conditions
@holidayloverxx, I have to undo the seatbelt and twist around a bit to be able to reach.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

latest report
rjs wrote:
@holidayloverxx, I have to undo the seatbelt and twist around a bit to be able to reach.

Or reverse through, handbrake turn optional. Wink
latest report
@jbob, The St Omer tolls have the ticket dispenser on both sides.
snow report
pam w wrote:
It's not such a bad idea to get out, when the toll booths are far apart. Bit of a leg stretch, a few breaths of cold fresh air! It's a few minutes in a long journey. Not sure why people get their knickers in quite so much of a twist about it.

It’s not the getting out for me which is the reason I’d prefer a tag it’s the people behind me huffing because it takes a bit longer for me to get out and run around.
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, I just ignore them
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, well it would be nice and convenient to have a tag

I don’t know if it would take too long to get to me in the post now though as I go on 1st Jan
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, yes I agree...I always think of it too late
snow conditions
The yellow vests were letting drivers through French tolls for free-of-charge today.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5, yes I agree...I always think of it too late

Although, it sounds like I won’t need for the Calais to Mons to Heidelberg to St Johann leg. So I wouldn’t need it until I come back across at the end of March anyhow. I could have it sent to my place in St Johann.
ski holidays
We swapped our French badge in the summer for the Top Europe one (with APRR), which also includes Italy, and I think Spain and Portugal. You need to add a reg number for non-French destinations, as it uses ANPR as well. We've just used it to go to Turin this morning, no queues today, so no time saving, but we were a bit perplexed when we went into the car park at the airport and didn't get a ticket. We anticipated problems on exit until we realised it had detected the badge. As I often go to Turin alone to Ikea or to collect at airport, this will be so much better than running around the car to put my card in.
latest report
@Hells Bells, good top hear you had no problems with the TopEurop tag. I swapped to one after my old one started playing up this summer but haven't used it yet.
The reg thing could be a pain should I take it to use in a hire car though.
Think when ordering you could have France/Spain/Portugal or France/Italy or all four and the initial cost varied accordingly.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
How long does it take for them to send you the AREA fob and how do you stick it on the inside of the windscreen?

It takes about a week (I appreciate you are already there now) and you stick it in the blackened out area around the mirror, on the left hand side. The blackened out area doesn't have a metallic coating and the signal works must better here.

They come with two little holders and are self adhesive.

For the cost and convenience, it's madness not to have one.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy