Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Spending money, Uni ski trip?

Poster: A snowHead
Son is soon off on his first Universtiy ski trip, self catered, any ideas how much spending money he will need? It’s been a few years since the last one went and I’ve no idea? Thanks Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
He'll spend as much as you give him I reckon
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A couple of grand should keep you on his xmas card list Very Happy Very Happy

I guess it depends on how much they'll be eating/drinking in and how much out. There will be a big difference Shocked

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 11-12-18 15:50; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Everything he's managed to earn working in his part-time job.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
also depends where he is going
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Everything he's earnt himself. Nothing from you.

For context our SC bill at the EOSB typically comes to less than 60 Euro per head plus booze which is whatever it is. And we eat well (cooked breakfasts etc) but are probably a little more organsised than the average students.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Dave of the Marmottes, organised! I've seen mobile mess kitchens with less organisation than yours wink wink wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Masque wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, organised! I've seen mobile mess kitchens with less organisation than yours wink wink wink

When @spyderjon is on wash up duty it is obviously an obligation to use every pan, utensil and work surface wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Everything he's managed to earn working in his part-time job.

This
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It seems to me that students need to learn to budget - they need to know how much money will be doled out to them from the Bank of Mum and Dad, how much they can borrow, how much they can earn - then decide how to balance their expenditure across everything - so there are clear opportunity costs to their choices. If they spend a lot going out at weekends, maybe there's no money left for a ski trip? Same principle applies to 6 & 8 year olds. My grand-daughters have just bought themselves (inexpensive) in-line skates having saved their pocket money for ages. They looked wistfully at those awful magazines with lots of plastic tat stuck to the covers - and passed by on the other side.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
He reckons he’s googled it, £15 per day Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@feefee, that'll be lucky to cover his lunch.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
feefee wrote:
Hmm suspiciously close to the parental reasonableness barrier of £100. Watch it creep up as he suddenly remembers he needs lunch, money for the airport and headache tablets and a kebab each night after ents.

I'd sign him now to a binding contract on that with no texts to top him up after a few days and count it cheap.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 11-12-18 18:02; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
He’s said it now Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
feefee wrote:
clearly he's not reading either mathematics nor economics and is teetotal rolling eyes

Double that and he might just manage it. Sandwiches, pizza and supermarket beer will leave about £20 an evening which may suffice. . . Unless he gets "lucky" . . . In which case all bets are off Blush
snow report
Masque wrote:
feefee wrote:
clearly he's not reading either mathematics nor economics and is teetotal rolling eyes

Double that and he might just manage it. Sandwiches, pizza and supermarket beer will leave about £20 an evening which may suffice. . . Unless he gets "lucky" . . . In which case all bets are off Blush

If he gets "lucky" the lucky girl/boy/trans/non-binary will be cooking and cleaning for him surely [/old misgynist] [/try hard PC]
snow conditions
Just decide how much you want to sub him, preload it on a charge card (get one thats FX effective like Revolut ), use the app then he can watch the funds fall in real time. He can then learn to budget or starve. You can top it up should you want/need to but he can't spend more than there is or put it on the never never credit card.
latest report
feefee wrote:

Is diane abbott his tutor?
snow report
@feefee,

Where is he going? Bulgaria?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 11-12-18 20:11; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
€8.00 a drink in the evenings - scale up from there Toofy Grin So I'm told snowHead
snow report
feefee wrote:

3x that.

Ignore breakfast if it's a bowl of cereals.

coffee stop£5
lunch £10.
evening meal £10
3 beers £20.
snow conditions
Mr.Egg wrote:
feefee wrote:

Is diane abbott his tutor?

Brilliant, best quote so far Laughing
snow conditions
I doubt he will be eating out Shocked supermarkets for bread, ham and pasta, smartprice beer and a pizza later if he’s enough money left! I’ll tell him it’s character building Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

I doubt he will be eating out Shocked supermarkets for bread, ham and pasta, smartprice beer and a pizza later if he’s enough money left!

Absolutely! £10 for lunch, indeed. Baguette and cheese. My niece did two weeks in a hostel in Chamonix living on cheese or ham (never cheese and ham) baguettes. And she was three-quarters of the way to being a GP at the time.
snow report
Budget him €100 a day.

Blaze some bud with €50 notes up in the club.

He'll know the drill.
snow report
feefee wrote:
Son is soon off on his first Universtiy ski trip, self catered, any ideas how much spending money he will need? It’s been a few years since the last one went and I’ve no idea? Thanks Puzzled

Is the ski-pass pre-paid? Ditto kit hire? Will he be taking lessons? How is he getting there flight or coach? And (most important), which resort & where in the resort?
ski holidays
when I skied at uni we went half board so only issue was lunch and beers. Lunch was mars bars and a water bottle carried in our rucsacs. Beer was largely fixed by tanking up on chalet wine at dinner.
snow report
If you suspect he is going to be rich and successful in the long term, and repay your love and support by taking you skiing in your dotage at no cost to yourself, then whatever he wants. If those riches are likely to stretch to buying alpine property with a SH discount of 15% plus, I will send a tenner myself.
Failing all of that, and agreeing that any figure is dependant on the destination, I suspect at least £30 per day and more like £40......
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
feefee wrote:

Perhaps Google sent him to my school trip report, if so please point out that was Le Corbier in 1984
snow report
Ok he’s going by coach to VT, lift pass included and he has his own equipment, he has decided on £30 per day with €100 in reserve, with the challenge to bring the reserve home for the family Ski Trip! he’s accepted the challenge! snowHead (love your replies btw Laughing )
latest report
Perhaps I'm viewing this overly harshly, but if/when my kids go on a university ski trip (though not much need for that at the moment), I'd hope they were grown up enough that they can figure it out and pay for themselves.
snow conditions
If his trip is organised through Wasteland €100 a day/night is realistic Very Happy
snow report
Fair comment, but he does not have a credit card but does have a limited budget, and this being his first non family ski trip, it’s nice to have an idea? I’ve not once said I’m paying! That’s the snow head assumption Madeye-Smiley
snow report
feefee wrote:
Ok he’s going by coach to VT, lift pass included and he has his own equipment, he has decided on £30 per day with €100 in reserve, with the challenge to bring the reserve home for the family Ski Trip! he’s accepted the challenge! snowHead (love your replies btw Laughing )

I did the same trip when I was at uni, stayed in "le cheval blanc" apartments I think (this was about 9 or 10 years ago now..)

Seem to recall buying a bottle of wine on a night out in some places was the most efficient way of getting drunk for minimal money. Obviously the pre drinking supermarket booze helped too.

Perhaps he could get himself some bottles of cheap spirit from Lidl/Aldi before heading over, given he won't have any weight restrictions.
snow conditions
feefee wrote:

If he's going by coach he should have room to take some/most of his food (raiding your pantry?) with him - that should help with the budgeting.
Most Uni ski trips have deals with bars in resort for cheaper prices (often seasonnaire prices), so that should let him know the prices he'll be paying per drink; then all he needs to consider is the volume he'll be drink per day (then be honest and double it Toofy Grin ) and he's got his budget!
latest report
Thank you, he’s taking a few food essentials and the company have arranged wrist bands for seasonnaire prices etc, he will manage on a budget I’m sure, actually he’ll have to as that’s all he’s got!
ski holidays
Lunch from the Wok-ski take out noodle place is 10€ very good and very filling if he fancies a change for a ham and cheese baguette. We did get snowHeads discount at EoSB, and they do a loyalty card. They are at the Knife and Fork. http://www.wokskivalthorens.com/menu/ . Back in town the boulangerie does a really good ham and cheese hot croissant.
ski holidays
Wok Ski is a favourite of mine for the EoSB but the loyalty card is sneeky because I think you need 6 stamps to get the freebie, so it relies on you getting more than one meal some days to take advantage of the deal. Good if you can split it with someone though.

BTW the 'Knife And Fork' is actually called Chalet Du Thorens...took me to my third EoSB before I realised that it doesn't seem to be referred to as the Knife and Fork other than on snowheads snowHead
ski holidays
He probably won’t go out every night. There’ll be a couple of days/nights where they’ll stay and drink cheap supermarket booze/stuff they bought with them. Then blow whatever savings from previous nights on a few monster nights out!
ski holidays
@SnoodlesMcFlude, it should be obvious, as it has a HUGE Knife and Fork on the roof, and can be seen for miles around. it isn't just snowHeads who call it that.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy