Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hintertux - June 2019

Poster: A snowHead
Munich flight and car hire are booked for next weekend Very Happy.

After seeing the amount of snow on the Hintertux and Mayrhofen webcams (the snow line looks pretty low for the last week in May and there's 50cm of snow forecast at altitude this week), it's looking like we'll be at Hintertux for a couple of days' skiing.

Really looking forward to it. Very Happy

Anybody been recently? Guess it's pretty good conditions for the time of year?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 4-06-19 19:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@mountainaddict, I am in Mayrhofen this week, unfortunately not skiing this year due to fracture. But it is more wintery than when we were here at the of end March.

Last few years it has been 25 degrees in the valley and outdoor pools open. Not so this year. This weekend looks warm and maybe into next week. But cold at top.

The short black at the top should be in good condition (several routes down) and all the other runs above Sommerberg. Should be really nice! Enjoy (probably quiet too)!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mountainaddict, Was there three weeks ago. Heaps of snow. At that time you could still ski all the way down to 'Tux. Have fun Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Following this thread, as the girlfriend and I may well end up in Hintertux in August for a few days skiing! Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes do post update please, unfortunately as I posted in Tyrol thread I was surprised to see they only had the glacier area lifts running, as I thought you could prob ski a lot more than that
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We were just about to book a last minute deal to the Hof and was surprised when I looked at the webcam, spring never mind summer hasn't arrived yet. I thought great, Kim said now way and booked a cottage in Snowdonia instead. Sad
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all - but bad news JimboS. Still, Snowdonia is lovely.

25cm of fresh snow at Hintertux over the last couple of days but weather warming up/clearing in time for the weekend. Our first ski day will be Sunday.

The amount of snow is totally mental for the time of year - looks absolutely loaded on the Mayrhofen & Lanersbach webcams above 18-1900m or so Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I'll report back after our trip Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This photo was taken in Zillertal from a Spieljochbahn gondola this morning. The top station, which is the building in the picture, is at 1850m.
https://www.facebook.com/zillertalsports/photos/aah-so-happy-that-summer-is-here-dont-worry-the-weather-forecasters-are-promisin/384254342435312/
I haven't been to Hintertux recently but seeing how it is at Spieljoch I imagine the glacier is in great condition at the moment.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
And from the glacier this day last year
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We are in position and ready to go Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Lovely guesthouse just above Hintertux village - fantastic glacier views. Had a great day despite taking 2 hrs to get away from Munich Airport - massive queue for passport control; 45 min wait for hire car (WHY does every transaction at the counter take 10 mins?? Stapling papers...ripping edges off computer print outs...Grrrrr!! Evil or Very Mad); then a problem with a warning light on the hire car...ended up swapping it....

Visited Rattenberg for the first time - purely on a whim after we saw the 'Altstadt' (old town) sign. What a lovely place - especially sitting outside a Konditorei with coffee and cake in 24C heat wink.

Out in Hintertux for the obligatory Wiener Schnitzel and beer, before watching the Champions League Final. Enjoyable occasion but a poor game for the neutral. The village (and valley) appear completely dead. Not sure where we'll eat tomorrow night as there may be only tonight's place open...

Forecast is great weather - can't wait for the skiing. Looks like a lot more snow than on Bennyboy1's photos... Will report back then post some photos early next week once we're home...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mountainaddict wrote:

Out in Hintertux for the obligatory Wiener Schnitzel and beer, before watching the Champions League Final. Enjoyable occasion but a poor game for the neutral. The village (and valley) appear completely dead. Not sure where we'll eat tomorrow night as there may be only tonight's place open...

You might find a few more eating places if you don't mind driving say 10 mins down the valley to Lanersbach. There's several hotels there with restaurants, assuming they are open I can recommend the Hotel Jäger.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cheers Alastair Pink. After finding only one more place in Hintertux open, we did indeed drive down to Lanersbach this evening...

Same story re ghost village and virtually everywhere shut - have never seen Tuxertal like this. It's not even low season - it's no season! Found a pizza place open - the former Klein und Fein. It's now called 'Swings' and is very upmarket in terms of decor. Very nice - as were the pizzas for about €10. Bit shocked to find a coke (as I was driving) was €4.40 though - same as a large beer!

Fantastic day at Hintertux today. Glorious weather, excellent snow cover and very quiet on the slopes. North facing/shady runs were very hardpacked first thing but everything softened up by about 10.00. We were then skiing soft snow to mush everywhere by about 11.30. Hard work by we packed in at about 15.00.

Another sunny day forecast tomorrow for our second (and last) day Very Happy.

Will hopefully post some pics on Tues or Wed.
snow report
Just back from our two days’ skiing at Hintertux. We had a fantastic time and just wish that we were there longer.

- Extensive snow cover above 2000 metres.
- Quiet slopes on day one (Sunday) – virtually deserted on day two (yesterday, Monday).
- Wall to wall sun and blue skies – the temperature got up to 11C at the bottom of the skiing (Tuxer Fernerhaus) and 6C at the top. It was 30C at 550m when we drove to Munich Airport yesterday pm.
- First thing, north facing slopes were very hardpacked and south facing slopes were soft. Everywhere was very soft to mushy from about 11.30am. It was quite hard going low down after mid day, with us calling it a day about 2.15pm yesterday, with 6100m vertical under our belts.
- Lovely skiing and great fun in the sun - what’s not to like about summer skiing??

The only disappointment was that there was no skiing below the glacier when it would easily have been skiable back to the chair that connects to Sommerberg at 2100m. However, they had ploughed a lot of the piste right down to the gravel – presumably to stop people from attempting it.

A few photos:

snow conditions
@mountainaddict, so jealous! Glad you had such great conditions. Really looks like you had the place to yourself. No ski racing teams?
ski holidays
Yes! Bits of the glacier were cordoned off for racing teams - we saw skiers from Turkey and Serbia, amongst other places. Nothing too disruptive though - absolutely no lift queues and the teams were gone by late morning.
snow report
Glad you had a great time, perfect when the weather also works out. Prices to the Hof for 4 days or 7 with Tui just now are crazy low for anyone who wants to give it a go.

Staying down in the Hof there are a lot more places open as it almost high season for them now, the downside is the 40 min bus journey to the base station.
ski holidays
^^^ IndeedJimboS - £240 for flights from Manchester & 4 nights B&B next Sunday Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy