Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan 18-19

Poster: A snowHead
@Mac46, we went skinning with evergreen on Tuesday. Yes the sun shone. The snow was very heavy and untracked with some breaking crust. I skied the worse I have ever skied since my second day on skis and even managed to straddle a small tree (I have the bruise to prove it. The weather and views were outstanding.

Yesterday (wednesday) was good with a bit of sun in the morning and clear for the rest of the day. We skied in happo one. There were some really good skiers about, but the it was the national technical championships.

On the trip I've skied every type of snow conditions possible from hard pack to slush with one exception - powder.

It's raining again this morning and we a working hard and building up enthusiasm for the day.

Only 3 more days to go. Hopefully there will be some powder high up.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There will be some powder! FWIW this evening's NHK news/forecast was for considerably lower temps and snow falling until tomorrow morning in Hakuba Village.....mind you they also said that last night and you got **** Puzzled Glad that you got to see the good skiers.....tomorrow I hope you get to see them in the deep stuff! Enjoy snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Mac46, it has been snowing here since lunch time and is even settling in the village Madeye-Smiley

We went iwatake for the first time today. Visibility at the top was on occasions less than 10m. It was interesting to ski down a piste that had no piste markers where you weren't even sure the was a working lift at the bottom. Open piste maps were good but a number of the marked lifts appeared abandoned.

Tomorrow looks promising with it clearing up during the afternoon and possibly our first taste of powder.

We will get some skiing in on Saturday before heading home at about 16:00
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@johnE, 20cm on my car this morning(alt: 500m) 30-40cm at the top of Nozawa, powder in the trees. snow continued all day up top but stopped mid-afternoon at base level which was getting sticky. Hope you got some powder to play in snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pleased to hear there has been some fresh snow. Has it been localised or will most of the resorts in the region have had some? I'm still dithering about where to go when I arrive on the 23rd.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Mac46, I thought there would be a lot but sadly only about 10cm at the most. But the temperatures had dropped leaving some hard pack at the top. The base was pretty heavy this afternoon.

But the sun shone.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@johnE, Sorry to hear that.....you got the sun, we got the snow. Some lifts only operate at weekends.....abandoned ones are usually listed as such on piste maps. I hope you have a pleasant trip home.
@DJL, On SnowJapan website you'll find info on recent snowfall. Next week's weather does not look snowy at the moment for this area.....but that can change!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mac46, i was using the viewranger maps rather than the piste maps. They just show features.

I didn't mind the lack of fresh snow. I enjoyed it and the views anyway
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lots forecast for SW Hokkaido next week

Jarch
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Mike Pow, I trust you....will be in Rusutsu next week and Kiroro after that.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Mike Pow, any idea about conditions end April? Anywhere still worth going for a w/e?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mac46 wrote:
@Mike Pow, I trust you....will be in Rusutsu next week and Kiroro after that.

https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/KiroroSnowWorld/6day/top
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BobinCH wrote:
@Mike Pow, any idea about conditions end April? Anywhere still worth going for a w/e?

On Hokkaido, both Niseko Grand Hirafu and Kiroro open until first week in May.

Worth it?

Compared with what?

Stubai will have better skiing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Compared with a w/e in Tokyo. Would be tagged on the end of a business trip looking like end April / early May. Have already experienced Hokkaido skiing a few years back so something different would be preferable
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks @Mike Pow, .
@BobinCH, Golden Week starts April27th and runs through May7th....lots of people on the move + the accession of the new Emperor is on May 1st. It's a myth that Japanese work all the time wink
Different? Onsen/Ski trip on Honshu to any of the big resorts which might be open.....Hakuba, Shiga, Nozawa in Nagano; Yuzawa, Naeba, Myoko in Niigata????? If you can find accommodation and get a seat on the train (or don't mind standing for an hour or so).
I put Onsen first as the skiing will be limited. It's very much bury your beer/sake in the snow time and have a drink after a few runs. Or your business colleagues might be able to get you on a race camp if running gates is of interest Puzzled Good Luck!
ski holidays
Thanks to all for the advice.
We needed up going to Asahidake for 5 days.
3 days of fun spring conditions, and two days of what I believe was a bit of Japow. Knee to thigh deep and beautifuly light.

I now understand my the locals use such long skis and boards. In France that much powder would float me , but the Japow was so light it didn’t. I am 115kg and was using Black Crows Nocta’s (122 underfoot) 185cm.

Should I have used even bigger skis, or am I just too Haney for Japow?
snow report
hmsgeoff wrote:
Thanks to all for the advice.
We needed up going to Asahidake for 5 days.
3 days of fun spring conditions, and two days of what I believe was a bit of Japow. Knee to thigh deep and beautifuly light.

I now understand my the locals use such long skis and boards. In France that much powder would float me , but the Japow was so light it didn’t. I am 115kg and was using Black Crows Nocta’s (122 underfoot) 185cm.

Should I have used even bigger skis, or am I just too Haney for Japow?

Excellent. You certainly got the best conditions over those 5 days.

Whatever floats your boat. Literally.

Personally I'm a submersible not an inflatable.

I'm 188cm and 95kg and I ski on 177cm Movement Zoo twin tips 114-84-105

I go OK.
snow report
Decision time for me. I'm now in Tokyo and will head for somewhere on Honshu tomorrow to ski Mon-Thu next week.

Any suggestions? I had been thinking of Hakuba with several areas in the same valley and bus links between them but my son had suggested Zao.
latest report
Dumping on Hokkaido
ski holidays
Teine reported 20cm of powder on Sat, 10cm today. Much needed. I tried to ski Rusutsu on Thurs......very sticky. Some lifts already closed for the season....I asked if it was a mid-week thing but no. Last week's high temps + rain have not been good.
Reports from Sapporo's local areas this morning are more positive.....Bankei, Fus, Onze etc. 10-15cm of powder.
I was in Tokachi Dake onsen from yesterday; this a.m. -15℃ with 25cm of fresh, drifting.
ski holidays
Decision made - we are in Shiga Kogen. They had between 5-10cm last night which I hope will freshen it up a bit. It looks good on the piste, we'll be up there tomorrow. I'm going to do a day by day report for anyone interested which will be here: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3384113#3384113
ski holidays
Snowing earlier this evening and 10cm of fresh at Shiga Kogen Prince hotel and Ichinose village. Hopefully more higher up.
ski holidays
I was slightly over optimistic. More like 5cm and seemed like the same up top. Great piste conditions first thing with either corduroy or a couple of cm of fresh on top of the groomed piste. Wind got up later closing some lifts and distributing the snow a bit. Stayed mostly good but the lower areas suffered in the sun and temperatures above 5C
snow report
Woke to 20cm of fresh and still falling lightly. First crash in the deep stuff already achieved snowHead
snow report
The 20cm overnight was added to by 5-10cm during the day. Looking good for the weekend. I'll be back in the UK sadly.
ski holidays
Open season 19-20!!!!!

I Will return Japan Next season. Chinés new year will be 25th of January, January is full if Aussies.

So Next season early February belive will be the best option.

Hokkaido or Honshu?

Hokkaido where place for base for 2 weeks?

Morioka área?

Myoko?
snow conditions
Not so fast.

18/19 season is still very much alive on both Hokkaido and Honshu.
snow conditions
Unless of course you want to go up the lifts at Hanazono. (from my Facebook feed "CLOSING DAY IS TOMORROW! April 7th. Come and join us for some final laps on Hanazono's lifts for the season.")

Are many more of the resorts/areas closing, I don't know, but I just opened that page after this and thought it was quite amusing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Normal closing date for Hanazono.

Lack of skiers (and bed base) not lack of snow.

When the Park Hyatt hotel opens next winter I suspect they will stay open until Golden Week (first week in May) like Niseko Grand Hirafu and Niseko Annupuri.

Kiroro open until Golden Week too.
ski holidays
Okushiga was advertising skiing until 6 May when we were there
latest report
Mike , Could you give me recomendation one place for base en February? Niseko area, Otaru, Chitose
ski holidays
keivancas wrote:
Mike , Could you give me recomendation one place for base en February? Niseko area, Otaru, Chitose

Duration?
Number of people?
Budget?
What kind of skiing/boarding are you looking for?
Apres ski?
snow conditions
3 weeks
3 person
2 ski +1snowboard
Backcountry experiencia

Apreski no importante.

Maybe Kutchan, or Better Otaru
ski holidays
Otaru
ski holidays
Thank you Mike.
Thais year maybe fly director to Sapporo but the problemas will be exchange Monet un Tokyo airport is good

For exchange Money, because in new chitose always will be bad option.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy