Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Has anybody Eurostar-ed recently? Tips/advice?

Poster: A snowHead
We're off to Les Arcs on Friday (whoop! snowHead ). The last couple of times we've taken the Snowtrain, but obviously that's not a goer, so we're Eurostaring to Paris, across town, then overnight TGV to Bourg.

Has anybody done similar since France reopened last Friday?

How was St Pancras? We're planning to get there pretty early to try and avoid problems. As its a normal Eurostar, I'm hoping there won't be the usual Friday night snowtrain crush.

We've got the LFT tests booked through Randox, which we'll do Friday AM before we leave home; we're both triple vaxxed and I'll screen shot the QR + print off a copy or two; I'll download declarations from the link in the other "big" thread too. Am I missing anything?

I've done Euro* to Paris for work a few times, so that's familiar.

What level of maskage is required throughout? I usually just use a buff, although also have a 3 layer cloth effort.

Getting Gare-du-Nord to Gare-du-Lyon. Any tips? I think we have a reasonable amount of time to do it in, but obviously want a smooth transfer. We don't have skis to transport - it'll be a big wheelie holdall, rucksack and hand luggage. Likewise - how easy is GdL? Is it pretty simple to find the right train, and is the platform announced with sufficient time? I can read French passably, but not sure my aural comprehension is up to snuff for tannoy announcements.

Any TGV tips? I heard something about no eating which will be a bit sad if so... Any guesses how busy its likely to be? On the snowtrain I've usually dossed down in the lobby between carriages wrapped up in my big duvet and got a decent amount of sleep. Will I be able to do likewise without getting hoyed out the window by an irate guard for being an untidy Rosbif blocking an emergency exit?

Thanks!
(and I'll update this with info once we've made it...!)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
CoticJon wrote:
We've got the LFT tests booked through Randox, which we'll do Friday AM before we leave home; we're both triple vaxxed and I'll screen shot the QR + print off a copy or two; I'll download declarations from the link in the other "big" thread too. Am I missing anything?

Can't help on the Eurostar bit, but can comment having used Randox to go to and from Italy last week.

I thought you took a picture of the test and uploaded in to the app. What actually happens is you take the picture of the test within the app. Fortunately we hadn't discarded the tests or anything, because i'd taken photos of them.

The certificates came back almost instantly, they were incredibly quick. I then just downloaded the pdf file and had that saved on my phone to show where necessary. Similarly, the day 2 test on arrival back to the UK got an almost instant response as well. That one was a bit more faff to upload as you needed to quote the booking reference, and if you booked 2 tests i.e one for you plus your partner, you need to ensure the booking reference ties up with the reference you used on your PLF to return to the UK.

Enjoy your trip
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@CoticJon, The restaurant car was closed on the TGV from Barcelona to Paris last week and I'm sure the sign said they would be closed for most of January.
We took our own food on and had no problems with that. The sandwich shop at Valence Sud was also doing a roaring trade as well.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I’m literally on the Eurostar coming back from a weekends skiing as I type this.

Top tips:

Book a carriage as far forward as you can (I’m guessing you can’t change your seat at this late notice though, but handy for next time). The train is 1/4 km long, so you avoid the trek when trying to get to GdL.

Buy your RER tickets onboard the Eurostar. You can buy them from the buffet car. €2 a pop. I think you can buy the return ones at this point too. Do NOT keep them next to your phone as it will kill the tickets.

On the outward journey, follow signs for RER Sud, Line D. On the way back it’s RER Nord, Line D.

On the RER itself, assuming you have loads of clobber, just stand near the door as there’s lads of room and it’s only 2 stops.

We crossed Paris really quickly both times. 25 on the way there and 30 mins on the return, but it’s recommended you leave longer.

I’m not sure what the legal requirements are but most people are wearing surgical type masks. Some places in France demand it before letting you in.

Have your vaccine QR code handy(just your booster will do), you’ll need it to board the train and get into anything. We also had to show our statement honor on the way out and out PLF on the way back.

The buffer car is open on the Eurostar, but it’s closed on the TGV. We are are own food and no one said anything.

Have fun!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Timmycb5, Thats awesome info thank you - straight from the hot seat. Thanks everyone else as well.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Timmbycb5, That's really helpful to me too, thanks! We're also planning to travel by Eurostar in February. How much time do you think you need to check in at St Pancras (and Paris on the way back)? The Eurostar website says 90-120 minutes. I think on the way back we'll only have about 60-80 mins (in Paris). I'm just hoping that's long enough! Do you think it is? Hope you had a good weekend's skiing!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm also just back from a week and used the Eurostar both ways.

For tips on the transfer across Paris I usually refer people to https://www.snowcarbon.co.uk/

St Pancras and the Eurostar train itself was quiet on the way out, but as the French border had only just reopened that is perhaps not surprising. The journey back this weekend was noticeably busier. There are still relatively few trains running each day so I was more cautious about leaving time in Paris to cope with delays but in practice everything ran to time.

The TGV was busier than the Eurostar with someone in pretty much every seat. If you tried lying on the floor you'd get fairly short shrift I think. Are you taking an overnight train or something? Dozing in your seat to pass the time is fairly common.

The buffet car was open on the Eurostar, but on TGV I think they are closed, and my understanding is that you're not allowed to eat on French trains at the moment even if you bring your own snacks. While this makes the journey less enjoyable I just spent a pleasant half an hour eating in the Paris sunshine instead.

You'll find a buff mask is tolerated while skiing for the lifts etc but on the trains I'd use a proper one. I preferred an FFP2 mask for that kind of environment.

Gare de Lyon is straight forward enough. Well signposted, so just look for your train number on the big boards and that will give you the platform to head to. Gare de Lyon has three halls of platforms, so if you can't find the platform you're looking for you're probably in the wrong hall! You can also check for departure boards online from your phone as you're getting close, and so know which platform you're heading for.

Get the Tous Anti Covid app installed and upload your vaccination certificates so that you can use it easily throughout France whenever you're asked. You'll be asked a lot.

I was slightly bemused to be challenged about bringing skis on the Eurostar on the way back. After a phone call to check, and my protestations that I'd been allowed to bring them with me on the way out (and every year for the last mumbly years) I was allowed on. They're clear on the website that skis are allowed, so I'll point them at that in future if I get stopped again. I always bring a bungee or two when taking skis on trains so they can be secured to the luggage racks in a safe way.

In terms of timing your arrival at the station I would do what Eurostar tell you. It's usually far longer than actually required but not worth getting caught out, especially as there might only be one or two trains a day at the moment.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you @kieranm- again - great info. snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@schifoan, we got to St Pancras 95 mins before our outbound journey. There was no queue, but 10 mins later there was a massive queue. Bearing in mind this was just a random Thursday morning. At half term I’d probably for the full 120.

On the return, our changeover was such that we had 4 hours in Paris so sat in a lovely Parisian cafe until we got bored. We checked in 75 mins before departure, and against the queue was tiny. 10 mins later it was massive. The return leg was full to brimming, so I’m guessing 75 (for the return only) might be ok.

FYI, my tickets suggested 120-90 mins outbound and 60-45 mins return
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Timmycb5, thank you - that's really helpful.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I travel out to the Alps on Eurostar/SNCF 4-5 times per year, last one in December.
- Turning up 90-120 mins beforehand is insane. It's so quick to get through, even in Covid times. An hour max.
- Just have all your paperwork ready, always print as well as having it on your phone
- I buy carnets of Metro tickets, 10 at a time, saves time and money
- re Gare du Nord to Gare de Lyon, this might be useful

http://youtube.com/v/xdGwK-rK4I4

I'll also be at St Pancras on Friday, but I am going on the ski train, direct to Bourg St Maurice. I didn't realise the night train had started again though? Are you in couchettes? I thought it was only Tarbes and Briancon with this service at present?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@iainm, No idea about the couchettes. The missus has looked after that bit. I'm getting us to London, then across Paris.

I assume you've booked the whole package with Travelski? I'll be peeved if they've opened it up to all comers again without telling us!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Timmycb5 wrote:
@schifoan, we got to St Pancras 95 mins before our outbound journey. There was no queue, but 10 mins later there was a massive queue. Bearing in mind this was just a random Thursday morning. At half term I’d probably for the full 120.

On the return, our changeover was such that we had 4 hours in Paris so sat in a lovely Parisian cafe until we got bored. We checked in 75 mins before departure, and against the queue was tiny. 10 mins later it was massive. The return leg was full to brimming, so I’m guessing 75 (for the return only) might be ok.

FYI, my tickets suggested 120-90 mins outbound and 60-45 mins return

So you avoided the queues by arriving early. Deffo worth is as they build up super quick and then it’s a bit nerve wracking whether you’ll get through in time.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Lucywuk, This. I hate being in a queue against the clock.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CoticJon wrote:
@iainmI assume you've booked the whole package with Travelski? I'll be peeved if they've opened it up to all comers again without telling us!

Let me know about the couchettes or not. I understand they are bringing back that service.
I'm doing half of the Travelski experience - outbound to see what it's like, coming back by train on Sunday to Paris, Eurostar back to UK on Monday. They are still not selling standalone seats - although I think they should be selling at least a few for every off-peak departure - I'm on board as this is a press trip.
snow report
Timmycb5 wrote:
@Lucywuk, This. I hate being in a queue against the clock.

Indeed. Just like my husband!! Lol. To be honest I agree with the get their early. As I said before I just don’t go to the gate when it’s first called. I have a final wee, get a coffee and faff!! Lol Very Happy
latest report
Lucywuk wrote:
...As I said before I just don’t go to the gate when it’s first called. I have a final wee, get a coffee and faff!! Lol Very Happy

I used to be a bit like that. But ever since the time they left some people behind, because they couldn't get them though check-in before the train had to leave, I have tried to be as near the front of the queue as possible!
ski holidays
Well an update, as promised.

TL;DR - we made it, no issues, skiing is f***in’ awesome

We ended up at St Pancras 2hrs before the train, so as there was no queue, we checked in straight away. Bar French passport control being surly about me wearing a buff rather than a proper mask, straight through with no issues.

Gare Du Nord to Gare du Lyon is dead easy. That vid up there^^ was very useful as a walkthrough. I’d almost think about doing it in summer with bikes. Almost…

The TGV isn’t on the whole as “nice” (all things are relative) an experience as the Eurostar overnight. Stupid things like no charging sockets and non-reclining chairs. It was pretty full so no options for getting a double seat or even a full table to ourselves. I ended up stretched out next to one of the mid-carriage luggage racks using someone’s North Face duffel as a teddy bear and managed to get a couple of hours doze in between getting kicked by the guard.

Then we got picked up by GoatShedGordy at half 6 and were on the slopes by half 9 for possibly the best day ever. snowHead snowHead

(So far my covid pass has been checked once by passport control and once by the Roche de Mio restaurant. No one is interested in the declaration d’honneur, face covering use in resort is patchy. )
latest report
On Eurostar right now on my way back after a flying visit. Took the overnight Travelski Express direct service to Bourg. Depending on your media of choice you can either read, listen or watch for my thoughts on the journey:
https://www.inthesnow.com/the-return-of-direct-rail-services-to-the-french-alps/
https://open.spotify.com/episode/0sHdCUM9uAJMbLRtgHaqyN

http://youtube.com/v/7oScG28dQkQ

Two great days of skiing in Les Arcs (although so knackered on day 1, I stopped at 2pm and day 2 I was ski touring)

re check-in times at LSP and Paris, I still can't see the point of arriving early. There is little space, nothing to do, no shops there. Marginally better in Gare du Nord. Turned up 50 mins before departure, through customs/security in Paris today in 10 minutes.
snow report
Have mentioned a few times about wanting to do the train skiing before, and the cost vs time factors etc.

Well, I might possibly need to go to Zermatt in May for a 2 day classroom based theory course as part of the IASI qualifications, and as it's just me on my own, thought i'd take a look in to the costs etc.

Flights from Bristol with Easyjet don't work going there as I get to Geneva too late to get up to Zermatt. So here's the breakdown for me flying out there costs and times:

Flying

Train Yatton to Gatwick Airport Dep 07:36 Arr 10:48 £51.60
Flight Gatwick to Geneva Dep 13:35 Arr 16:15 £24.99
Train Geneva Airport to Zermatt Dep 18:16 Arr 22:14 £35

Total Cost £111.59 Total Time 14hrs 40mins

Train

Train Yatton to London Paddington Dep 05:58 Arr 08:08 £74.10
Tube London Paddington to London St Pancras £2.40
Eurostar London to Paris Dep 09.31 Arr 12:47 £52
Paris Metro Paris Gare du Nord to Gare de Lyon £1.50
Train Paris to Geneva Dep 14:16 Arr 17:29 £25.38
Train Geneva to Zermatt Dep 18:16 Arr 22:14 £35

Total cost £190.38 Total Time 16hrs 16mins

So just over 1.5 hours time difference and £79 in cost, I might just give the train a go.

Coming back, i'll fly in to Bristol which is currently £25 and means i'm back for 10:40 and home by 11.30 in the morning. There's no way I can justify a cost vs time analysis on that, and i'll just want to get home! But for the journey over there, i'm looking forward to the potential of trying out the train, especially if I can convince the boss to let me work from the train, that way I don't even need to use any annual leave for the journey over!
snow report
Like that comparison. Look forward to hearing what you think.

I came back from Les Arcs this time via Charles de Gaulle airport (€75), then RER to Gare du Nord (€10), stayed night in a hotel near the station and took the Eurostar back the next day. Not the cheapest option, but bonus of some time in Paris as well (went for a run on Monday am around the Seine/Notre Dame)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy