Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wizzair checked baggage and skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know if you take skis as part of Wizzair's checked luggage allowance rather than having to pay for separate "sporting equipment" baggage ?.

My Mrs. is flying out in a couple of weeks and has a 20kg checked luggage allowance as part of her flight package, and her ski bag and skis will fit comfortably within the maximum checked baggage dimensions. Her ski bag will also have clothes etc. but will be less than 20kg.

The website is totally unclear, all it provides is the checked baggage maximum dimensions, and needless to say the call centre isn't answering.

Part of me wants to risk it, but of course if she's forced to add additional sporting equipment at the airport it'll cost so much more.

Thanks for anyone's help.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well as you are no doubt aware, the relevant page is here:

https://wizzair.com/en-gb/information-and-services/travel-information/baggage#/

And indeed, it does not say that (like BA for instance), that your sports equipment can just be part of your luggage "allowance". But then it seems that Wizzair has no "allowance" as such — you just pay for what you want. But you have said that she does have a 20Kg allowance — she has not "selected" that option.

But what is interesting is how big their check baggage max size is: 149 x 119 x 171cm. HUGE! Big enough for a pair of skis if they are not too long. But nowhere does it say you can't put skis in there!

But here are their T&Cs for Wizz Air UK LTD:

https://wizzair.com/static/docs/default-source/downloadable-documents/wauk-gcc---final5b63f089d1af6a18ba03ff00007faa96_4ca4aa34.pdf

14.4.1 — 14.4.5 states that you must inform them at the time of reservation if you are taking skis, and that you "...will be required to pay a fee according to the Tariffs". Also: "You will be required to pay a charge for the carriage of any sports equipment".

Well, any good lawyer could argue that you are paying a "fee" according to the "tariffs", but you chose to pay the baggage fee. And if you were to drop them an email at the time of reservation telling them you are putting your skis in your normal baggage, then you have "informed" them.

Interestingly, I have seen elsewhere, that the check-in folks have no right to look at the contents of your bags.

My view: Just go-ahead and put the skis in your normal 20Kg baggage. Then take a hard copy of the check bag max size with you. I doubt they even know what their own T&Cs are; and often the check-in staff just work for a generic company, and not the airlines direct.

This works 99% of the time: Be really nice, sweet and friendly to the check in staff — it works wonders.

Worst case — you just have to pay the extra.

And no, I don't have anything better to do in my life that post stuff such as this at 1:30am in the morning Shocked Shocked
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For all those googling this question and arrived here, I just did this without any problems at Eindhoven airport.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy