Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend me an accommodation site

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

I’m trying to sort out a weeks skiing for 2 families during the February half term and I’m struggling with self catering accommodation options.

We are driving which means it’s most likely France and I’m looking for either a 4 bed apartment or 2 2 beds( I can’t stand sleeping on a pull out bed which eliminates a lot of properties)budget is about £3k and we want a mid sized resort that’s good value for good intermediate skiers.

Has anyone got any suggestions about which sites are worth looking at:
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I normally start with holidu, homeaway, booking and airbnb to get a feel of prices and locations. They all have a convenient "search here" map feature and suggestions, so sometimes I find a resort/location that didn't I think before.

Once I have a short list of resorts and locations (sometimes even specific properties), I also compare prices with the respective tourist office reservations and choose the best deal.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In addition to above check out Sunweb, and note their prices include lift passes
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
AirBnB wins by a mile IMO for apartments like this.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Why not choose a resort, then look at the various rental sites? Just for illustration, here's what our satellite of Verbier has:

Ski lift Company: http://www.latzoumaz.ch/en/resort-and-useful-information/accommodation/chalets-appartements/chalets-appartments-listingm-hty1-hty4-hty17.html
Local Agency: https://www.carron-immobilier.ch/en/
International Agency: https://www.interhome.co.uk/switzerland/valais/la-tzoumaz/'

and that's without going through the other independent agencies in the village. This is probably typical of most locations in the Alps. Choosing a specific location narrows-down the search to a manageable exercise, otherwise you can end up with a search returning just too many locations and properties.

It varies a lot by resort, but you can also consider just emailing the Tourist Office with your requirements and then let them come up with a shortlist for you to look at in more detail. Our TO is very good, and will have the local knowledge that will filter-out some of the less suitable places e.g. that a particular place is three times further away form the lift station than everywhere else.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 19-09-19 10:28; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Can I make a recommendation-the following link is to the apartment/chalet we rented for the last 2 seasons. It's in a cute hamlet-St Marcel-under a mile from the lifts in St Martin de Belleville (3 Valleys)-it's a short drive to the carpark by the gondola, and you can walk into St M in 15 mins max. The morning ski bus can take you up to Les Menuires as an alternative. In Feb, the chances are you can actually ski back to St Marcel on a pisted track. We were going to rent it again, but found ourselves buying a property nearby instead! 4 bedrooms-perfect for 2 families-though you have to go outside to head upstairs to the 2 upstairs bedrooms (under the eaves of the house so you don't get wet). I just checked and it's still available for the week of 15th Feb-I assume that's the week you are going. The downstairs has one double room with ensuite shower and basin, a bedroom with single beds and separate loo and bathroom. Upstairs, the double bedroom has ensuite shower and basin, a great view and balcony, plus a twin bedded room, with separate loo. The living and dining space is spacious and characterful.

https://www.agencedesalpes.com/annonce/appartement-saint-martin-de-belleville-les-villages-de-st-martin-chalet-dethan-1931
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you want to go to one of the Austrain resorts it is almost always better to use the resort website. Most apartments are not on the international booking sites. For example https://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/accommodations/accommodation-search , https://www.skiwelt.at/en/search-accommodation.html
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A few suggestions for you. First pick your resort. Then search on google.fr for 'locations' + name of resort or search 'residence vacances alpes'. Use the tourist office website which will have links to agencies and private owners. Be prepared to order extras: Remember to order linen and bath towels as extras or bring your own. If you don't want to deep clean at the end of stay order it early as an extra. Check-in and check-out times are often quite strict, as is the checking of accommodation prior to departure. Also look at CGH, MMV, gites.fr, pierre et vacances. If you use AirBnb Homeaway etc. be very careful with exact location of the accommodation. I have known people end up miles from resort. Have a great holiday.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I used to be an AirBnB/Homeaway fan but have found Sunweb unbeatable this year. They key thing to decide is whether you need to stay in the resort or if you're happy doing a short drive in each day. If you're happy with a short drive then AirBnB will generally have better options in terms of quality and value, if you want to be in the resort itself then Sunweb is likely to be best
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
What I've used:

Les Coches - official resort website accommodation booking page (ends up being handled by a local agency)
Les Menuires - official resort website - links through to private owners
Oz-en-Oisans - official resort website has a list of private owners - you just email/call a few
La Tania - skiaccommodation.co.uk
Tignes - Odalys (not recommended but it was very last minute!)
La Norma/Les Contamines - can't quite remember but similar to above I think
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We've used the resort offices - last Feb half tetm was La Clusaz, this coming one Les Contamines. There seems to be a much better value in apartments doing it this way and we've got really good descriptions and details this way too which means we have both times got proper beds for the 4 of us and none of this sofa bed in the lounge malarkey. If you're not hung up on going to the megaresorts then you should easily get change from £3k - we found a place for this season for €703 for half term week.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Some examples from the 2 we've used

https://en.laclusaz-tour.com/chalet-le-cosmos-la-clusaz.html?&cid=3&action=result&resa_action=result

https://booking.lescontamines.com/resa/gieling/chaletlapon.html?&cid=3&action=result&resa_action=result#media
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I go along with the earlier posters who suggest :
Don’t rule out Austria (or even the Südtirol for that matter)
Pick a resort and go for the Tourist Office and see what they have on offer (whichever country)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
But do not rely on just contacting owners in Austria as they do not respond as I think they just leave property on resort websites as available when it is not. The tourist offices are far more proactive. Found a very nice b+b in westendorf via tourist office a few years ago. The "do" is check locations and skibus stops if you are not self driving and position re shops, bars and restaurants. Eg some Kirchberg accommodation is in the suburb of spertendorf which seems rather devoid of facilities and is quite a way out.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy