Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Innsbruck & Tirol 2018/19 Snow

Poster: A snowHead
which valley resort depends on whats available when i book up, preferably neustift or fulpmes.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@compostcorner, sorry, missed that! Either of those will be v easy to get the bus up to the glacier.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks like more snow coming this weekend (following a RAGING föhnstorm all week).

Freezing level to drop below 1000m, 20-30cm possible for the local resorts, 30-50+cm maybe in the west (Arlberg, Ischgl, etc).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
End of Season going out like the beginning of the Season ...POW !
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@clarky999, Get those skis out again Matt
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
So a fair bit of new snow and a fair bit of rain...

Heavy rain brought the Untere Sill, our local whitewater kayaking section into play, which took care of Saturday. Cloudy and 4°C water temps in the morning gave way to surprising warmth and sun later...

...Before the rain and snow kicked in again.

Today was closing day in the Arlberg (which we both still had a day left on our season passes for) and Kühtai, so we headed over to St Anton. It was absolutely deserted! Car parks empty, lifts empty, slopes empty, bars/huts closed... On the whole Galzig and Gampen areas I guess less than 20 people skiing total (few seasonnaires celebrating/drowning sorrows in Fang Bar). Soooooo nice to ski the Arlberg like that. The terrain is amazing but it's just so busy these days... A real treat to ski it from the lifts that quiet.

New snow line was maybe 1400-1500m when we arrived. From mid-mountain up 20cm of new snow, up to 30cm or so in places. Terrible vis up top so we basically just lapped Galzig and Kandahar, and some of the mellower shots underneath the Zammermoos chair. Zero competition for the new fresh snow (bit too heavy to be called powder, but still v nice to ski). Really weird (but cool) chilled ghost town vibe, but some really great skiing too!

Had a radler at Fang around 2pm, by which time it was snowing to the bottom, then headed back to IBK. There's still a lot of snow from 1600m or so and up (358cm at the top), so touring should be good for a while.

Also realised today it's 10 years since my first winter season (St Anton 2008/09). Quite scary how quickly time goes!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looks like potentially another 30-50cms of snow coming to Kühtai, Seefeld, Axamer Lizum this week. Should be some great skitouring in the closed resorts, and lift-accessed powder on the glaciers and eg. Obergurgl.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
More snow in Arlberg overnight Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tom Doc wrote:
@Scarlet, ok, cool. I'll spend some time on the laptop and come back for more advice soon!

Thanks.

I haven't been able to find many apartments to rent, but there are 2 on Airbnb that would work, 1 in the centre and 1 in Hungerburg. I think I prefer the look of the one in Hungerburg. Any last minute advice/pros or cons before I book?

Regarding lift passes - I think I read a comment of Clarky999's somewhere that for any stay past 10 days a season pass is the best value. Are there early deals on season passes? Any other tips?

And any other hints or suggestions are very welcome.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Tom Doc, Hungerburg is a nice place, quiet, but not much up there (apart from the obvious easy access to Nordkette). It might be the same place we stayed in (pm if you want me to check out the locations for you). You'll probably need a car to get to the supermarket – nearest is in Hötting I think, but it's quite small and probably 15 min drive – but that will give you a wider range of options anyway once you're down to the main road. Hungerburgbahn or bus will get you into the town centre easily.

Re: lift passes. How long are you staying? If you register as a resident that gives you options for a Freizeitticket or discounted Tirol card. Otherwise, I think it's a Tirol card or Olympia Card, though I don't know much about those. Early bird deals are on around October, but check individual websites for actual dates.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm a big fan of late April skiing (have had three great trips to Engelberg and Saas-Fee in the last three seasons). Next season, it looks like I might not be able to get away until early May so thoughts have turned to the glacier areas and Stubai in particular. Any tips on where to stay etc would be most appreciated. Is it better to stay in Innsbruck and travel each day or are Neustift or Fulpmes better options? I don't want to rent a car so the public transport option from Innsbruck railway station is a consideration. Thanks for any guidance.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@LOTA, location probably depends on if you want to do anything else other than lift-served glacier skiing, e.g. ski touring (currently snowing to about 1800m, so plenty of that about) or sightseeing in the city. It’s over an hour on the bus (timetable on the Stubai website), so I guess it also depends on how you feel about spending 2.5hr+ travelling each day.

Sorry, never stayed in those villages, but I expect they’ll be quiet off-season.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks. No ski touring for me or sightseeing. That is quite a long time to be on the bus each day. Not too bothered about quiet as long there's somewhere to get dinner and a drink or two! Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@LOTA, We're off to Neustift for a long weekend skiing next Saturday, so will report back! First time May skiing so little idea what to expect...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ElzP, Good timing! Currently snowing down to 600m and plenty more due in the next few days, so you should get some good conditions. If you can see...
snow report
@Scarlet, ach, being able to see is overrated... rolling eyes Laughing

Would be nice to see a little blue sky though, had visions of t-shirt weather!
snow conditions
@ElzP, It's cold today, but should warm up again so you might be ok! This time last year it was in the 30s, so quite a contrast. Much better skiing conditions though.
ski holidays
Wow, the cloud has cleared a bit and the warmer temps today have raised the snow line to about 1100m, but the tops of the mountains look to have taken a ton of fresh snow. Everything is really, really white up there again Very Happy Ski touring anyone?
snow report
@ElzP, Excellent. Keen to hear your thoughts, findings and observations!
snow report
Well it's certainly piddling snow up here! We've had a lazy start, visibility is quite rubbish, but can't complain about any lack of snow... Shocked
snow conditions
@ElzP, ha, went kayaking from Neustift down the valley towards Innsbruck this afternoon Wink

3°C water temp... Skiing was probably the better decision!
snow report
@clarky999, I'm not convinced, couldn't see a sodding thing. I'm too much of a wet to like those conditions. Luckily the snow was soft and deep so not all was lost. snowHead

Kayaking seems pretty civilised in comparison!
snow conditions
Hmm, sat drinking coffee in the apartment wondering if we brave more bad visibility or sack it off and potter round Innsbruck. What to do...?
snow conditions
Is it busy? How light / soft is the snow?
snow conditions
We didn't bother in the end yesterday, chatting to two chaps who did over dinner, sounds like we made the right decision! Looks much better on the cams this morning.
@8611, on Sunday it was '6 percent capacity' according to the website, few on the pistes, more regretting their choices in the restaurant... the snow is very soft and cold, some ice where wind blown. Described yesterday as 'frustrating - perfect snow but can't see to enjoy it'!
latest report
Official in Tirol

Coldest May in 40 years
snow report
Damnit I knew I’d turned the heating off too soon! Thought it was a bit nippy.
snow report
Wasn't expecting snow in the valley! Laughing Off home today, but if this cloud clears at some point the snow on the glacier will be perfect... it is already. I'm sure stubai is very beautiful, shame we couldn't see more than a few metres ahead.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Keeps on snowing every night... Friends having a great time touring in the Kalkkögel! Unfortunately I'm stuck in the office and have to go to Vienna on the weekend Mad
ski holidays
This for @LOTA, some thoughts on a May trip. First up, apparently this weekend just gone is always rubbish weather according to our host, so maybe aim for a different one. Laughing We have taken the lesson that it's worth it last minute if possible, rather than planning ahead. There have been few tourists about, hotels seem mostly shut but plenty of apartments. The snow on the glacier is amazing, not much open but that could be down to the weather.

We stayed in Neustift, and most things were shut. There's a super market, bank etc, and we mostly ate at Bottega 13 which is good. Last night every restaurant was closed so we went over to Fulpmes - slightly bigger, more going on, I'd stay here I think over Neustift.

Bus was efficient, every half hour and free in ski gear. 25 mins from Neustift, maybe another 10 on top for Fulpmes. We hired skis at the top station at the glacier, only place open. Hire was fine, not the biggest selection. No mountain restaurants open so captive to the bloody awful food at the lift station.

Any questions let me know!
snow conditions
Hmmm skiing without eating well, not sure I can do it any more

Long gone are the days of eating a hard crusty roll on the lift up 3 hours after getting into bed and thinking it was all amazing nonetheless

There was good eating on the slopes in hintertux when I was there recently - I assume the good eating stays open year round to serve the lyndsey vonns of this world?
snow conditions
I might be over egging the bad food - I did see someone eating spag bol with some signs of enjoyment, and the cake looked decent! The Italian ski and xc teams who were up there also seemed happy enough.

Think a lot of places might use May as the break between winter and summer season, certainly down in the valley. Just not busy enough.
snow report
Thank you, @ElzP, that's interesting and useful intelligence. I'd prefer a hotel so it's very useful to know they were closed for the season in Neustift. Fulpmes it might well be. Will have my own gear so no worries about hiring. I do like a slice of cake so the lift station would be fine for me for eating. Thanks again, sorry the weather was poor. I had three trips season just finished and two of them were spoilt to some extent by poor weather! Sad
ski holidays
@LOTA, a pleasure! We've had two previous trips this season where the weather has been great so we're not too bothered - plus as relative learners it was good for us to test our 'skills' in imperfect conditions! snowHead I'd certainly do it again, but last minute next time.
ski holidays
@LOTA, instead of Austria, think of switzerland. Engelberg is the place to go. We have had a dump the last three seasons end of April/early May, and this year there is still great skiing to be done as we speak late May! A good chance on powder and if you don't mind skinning up a wide terrain available. Lifts open until end of May and generally you can ski down to mid-station at 1800m.
latest report
@Westi, Thanks, I know! I was buried in deep, deep snow in Engelberg in the last week of April two years ago! Last April, it was glorious and sunny with good, spring conditions and, somehow, they had managed to keep the run to the valley open - just! Very Happy
snow report
Westi wrote:
@LOTA, instead of Austria, think of switzerland. Engelberg is the place to go. We have had a dump the last three seasons end of April/early May, and this year there is still great skiing to be done as we speak late May! A good chance on powder and if you don't mind skinning up a wide terrain available. Lifts open until end of May and generally you can ski down to mid-station at 1800m.

Not that Engelberg isn’t a good option, but you can say exactly the same about here (other than lifts open ‘til mid June here).
snow conditions
@clarky999, Engelberg is a good option and I loves it there, but I fancy a change and Stubai appears to tick many of my boxes; not least being good public transport. So I am looking seriously at Austria for next season's late one.
ski holidays
I looked at Hintertux live map and was surprised to see they only had the lifts at the very top open, notwithstanding that snow levels I would have thought were good enough to warrant a few down to the mid station being open? Is that a demand thing or expense thing just in terms of keeping stuff open as opposed to snow conditions. I haven't checked the live cams but I gather there's been snow to quite low in Austria recently and was tempted.
snow report
@8611, I imagine it's a demand/staff issue. There's definitely enough snow to ski to lower down.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy