Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Innsbruck & Tirol 2018/19 Snow

Poster: A snowHead
Was at Schlick today and the place was rammed! Bus loads of teenagers and crocodiles of tots everywhere - Fasching?

Pistes seemed, in my far-from-expert opinion, to be artificial over hardpack - that surprised me as it rained down here in Neustift yesterday afternoon so I was expecting some new snow.
I wished is gone the other way up to the glacier.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Scamper, yeah was super busy on Sunday too, and yep due to Fasching. Yep, top few cms of snow softening up, with handpicked artificial stuff below. Nice once softened enough though.

Was there not much fresh at Schlick today then? Trees looked pretty white on the Nordkette side of the city, but maybe less in the southerly valleys.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@clarky999, not that I could see unless I was mistaking the pushed aside covering, but it didn't seem like real snow.
Heading back up to Stubai glacier tomorrow - hopefully that will be better. It was good the other day although the snow fell after the piste bashing so was a bit bumpy.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hmm. A mixed bag then.
More snow due on Thursday though, so hopefully will be good by Friday.
Am I right in thinking that Fasching crowds should have dispersed by the end of the week? Today being pancake day...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pistes at Stubai are in excellent condition - still soft and squeaky snow in places and a good covering overall. The areas between pistes have tons of tracks all over them but from what I could see still looked powdery.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Final bit of fact finding before I head over on Friday:
With an Axamer Lizum day pass can you use the Gotzens gondola? From the piste maps it looks like I would have to do this to ski all the way back to Mutters.

Finally, does anyone have any good restaurant recommendations in Axamer Lizum for lunch? I know there's a modern spectacular affair at the top of the train line but we quite like smaller traditional huttes if there are any in the area?

Thank you in advance and for all of the previous input.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've looked at another piste map and seen that there is a blue run which connects across to Mutters, so no problems there. Just any info on lunch stops in Lizum would be great?

Also just seen that Mutters open is closed today and only nursery slopes in Lizum open, due to storms. Is it really that bad all around Innsbruck? I hope they've moved on by this time tomorrow...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hey @EdYarker, I think that must have been an old piste map, as there is no official piste from Lizum to Mutters/Muttereralm. You can ski to there, but offpiste. Also pretty sure the Axamer Lizum pass does not cover the lifts at Muttereralm, however the Olympia SkiWorld pass does - so it depends which pass you have.

For lunch in Lizum my favourite is the Sunnalm: https://www.axamer-lizum.at/en/sunnalm.html

You could also try Birgitzköpflhaus or the Pleisenhütte.

They were closed due to the föhn wind. Seems to have calmned down now but yesterday was pretty crazy. Tomorrow looks ok but could be fairly windy again over the weekend - it's pretty rare for Lizum to shut though.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@clarky999, Thanks for that. I never was too good at reading piste maps! I guess I should take advice when buying my pass at the office. If we were to try to get across off piste, is it an easy route to find? Do you think it would be a skiable route for an early intermediate?

Thanks for the restaurant tips. They look good!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@EdYarker the only way I’ve ever done it is by skinning up Nockspitze and skiing the couloirs off the NE side, so I can’t really advise much about the other way.

Shouldn’t be anything steep, and biggest issue is likely to be route finding (there are variants that drop down to the road up to Lizum instead, for example), and possibly avoiding flat buts you’d have to pole etc.

Probably best to look at a map/google earth and see what you think.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@clarky999, OK I think I will give that a miss. It sounds like a good adventure but not one to take the wife on. The Mutters web site piste map also seems to show a linking blue https://www.muttereralm.at/en/muttereralm/open-lifts/26-0.html so it's a bit confusing but I will ask when I get there and can always get transport if necessary.
Thanks so much for all the advice.
Here's to a great weekend!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@EdYarker, you're right, Muttereralm does show it. Odd. I mean, it's totally possible that I'm just a plonker and have totally missed it, but I can't see it on Google either. Let me know haha!

If you want to try it, there's an obvious route from the top of the Birgitzköpfl lift down to the Götzner Alm. Shortly before the hut you would need to cut off to the right on one of two forest trails in order to get the pistes. You can make them out on Google, but no idea how easy they'd be to spot in real life, or whether they're steep enough to ski/flat/uphill:

Edit: Apparently the URL is too long to work properly. May be able to paste it into your browser, or just search directly in maps.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/6094+Axamer+Lizum/@47.2202144,11.3156446,1532a,35y,150.99h,56.92t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x479d40228d57ce7b:0x62e4ae52de78b8e2!8m2!3d47.19569!4d11.30265
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@clarky999, Ha. yes I will report back. It sounds like you rarely use pistes anyway so no reason for you to know.
Google doesn't seem to acknowledge any of the pistes in the Mutters/ Gotzens area so no clues there.

Thanks for the info about finding the Gotzens run. That would be better than nothing if this mythical blue to Mutters does not exist after all!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi all - would love to hear any thoughts/advice about Ellmau as a base for a trip 15-21 March. What are the prospects at this point of the season at that altitude? Is it easy to get to higher places nearby if necessary? Thinking mainly about on-piste, but otherwise reasonably adventurous. Thanks!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It wouldn't be my first choice - you'd need to check the weather and temps. In Soll last week it was mushy and slushy - T shirt weather.
snow report
@EdYarker, I was in axamer lizum a few days ago and went from the top of the Birgitzkoplf lift to Gotzens via the route you describe. It's nice, scenic and it's an obvious route. A great straightforward route for skiing, not so great for snowboarding as a few longer stretches of icy flat track. I then got to Red5 and boarded down to Gotzens.
snow report
@Alex_g, interesting! I'm gonna have to go and check this out, I guess.

----

Skied at Schlick on Friday and Seefeld yesterday. Given the weather and temperatures both were lovely and soft spring snow to slush top to bottom, with nice bumps at Seefeld. Seefeld definitely still has WAY more snow (after the January storms) than Schlick.

Even if temperatures stay like this til the end of the season Seefeld will have enough snow to ski down to the base 'til the end of the season. Schlick could probably hang on another couple of weeks, but the home run is starting to get a bit patchy.
ski holidays
We've moved back to Soelden for the final week. More snow in Soelden than in the Gurgls.
Just been up, glacier closed because of weather.
Murky elsewhere, with lightly falling snow that turns to water on goggles - forgot to fit the windscreen wipers!!
Snow is claggy but skiable for those who don't get seasick in poor light - I do, so Sunday lunch and rugby for me!
snow report
@Scamper, yep we were up in the Aquadome spa in Ötztal yesterday. Perfect weather for it wink

3°C and pouring with rain in the valley on the way back around 11pm, so I guess you should have some powder there today?

--------------

Currently switching between rain and snow in Innsbruck at 574m, so definitely snowing on the mountains.

Looks like some healthy accumulations during the course of this week (heaviest on Friday), then clearing (and maybe warming) up next weekend.

Potentially looking at around:

- 1m Stubaier Glacier
- 70cm for Kühtai, Obergurgl and Nordkette
- 30-50cm for Seefeld, Axamer Lizum, Schlick, etc

Even more snow in the west too for anyone inclined to day trip. 150cm+ possible for Arlberg, Ischgl, Montafon, etc
snow conditions
Snowing heavily down to town level in Soelden - 3cm in the last hour.
Should be fab conditions once it stops snowHead
snow report
@Scamper, maybe try down the valley in Hoch Ötz for some trees during the snow?
snow conditions
@clarky999, thanks, we've always intended to ski more of the valley - this could be the perfect time.
latest report
Snow coming down quite heavily now at 600m after an intermittent start this morning (I was a little surprised to find the snow/rain combo @clarky999 mentioned when I went into the city earlier, as it was completely dry where I live 5 miles away so I had the wrong jacket rolling eyes ).

Should ease up a bit tomorrow for a nice day and then a powder day Saturday Toofy Grin

@clarky999, any plans? (this is more opportunistic advanced thinking from me, as I am 99% sure the answer is "no, FFS it's only Monday!" Laughing )
ski holidays
@Scarlet, basically "no, FFS it's only Monday!" haha.

Really no idea. Supposed to be filming some stuff for work later in the week, but not sure the weather will play ball for the specific project...
ski holidays
@clarky999, Laughing Do you have any insider knowledge on where might be good tomorrow? Seefeld perhaps? Late start so somewhere local.
snow report
@Scarlet, west has been looking best, from what I've seen (Arlberg etc even more so), so Seefeld likely to be one of the better local options. But I wouldn't expect much more than 10cm fresh from today, on a bed of newly re-frozen slush. Stubai could be nice if the sun comes out - old snow likely to be smoother.
snow conditions
Conditions in the Skiwelt were horrid today. Yesterday's slush had been groomed flat but the surface must have melted then refrozen as rather than corderouy it was sheet ice across and along whole pistes. The new snow falling was being blown away by the strong winds. When the wind picked up and most lifts shut, we beat a hasty retreat off the mountain. It was possibly the most unpleasant conditions I've ever skied in.
latest report
@Alex_g, Yes I did this on Saturday (perfectly nice run) having had an enjoyable day in Axamer Lizum. Conditions were pretty good all round- Mainly for piste skiing. A bit slushy near the bottom of a couple of runs, but that's to be expected at this time of year. Anyway, it looks like we were lucky with over head conditions for the two days we were there, with good viz and no rain! Things seem to have changed quickly since we returned.
Thanks to all for their help and advice in giving us a couple of lovely days near Innsbruck. Keep an eye on the Reports thread, as I will try to throw something together in the next couple of days.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@EdYarker, glad to hear you had a good trip! Any pointers about where that run to Muttereralm is would be appreciated Laughing
snow report
Looks like a bit of a sleeper pow day today, and more snow than I expected.

10cm fell on my balcony overnight, and my gf (just back from her morning run) reckons a good 30cm up in Hungerburg. Avalanche bombs going off at Nordkette now too.

Sun us now out too - but it's also warming up. Around 1°C here in the city (574m).

@Scarlet, if you're having a late start I guess the snow at Nordkette will be cooked before you get there. Glungezer or Seefeld would probably be good though!
snow conditions
@clarky999, yep, I was not expecting the complete white landscape when I opened the blind just now! Toofy Grin it’s nice to see that winter is back. Nordkette probably not going to be open for a little while anyway, I guess, I can still hear the bombs.

Still snowing a little bit too Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

@EdYarker, glad to hear you had a good trip! Any pointers about where that run to Muttereralm is would be appreciated

It's at the top of the Birgitzköpfl lift, as I think you suspected. You ski past the refuge on quite a wide clear piste and round a couple of corners before heading along a narrow track through the trees. As @Alex_g, says, this bit of the run is quite flat but just about enough drop to keep you going. Eventually you come out on the Gotzens piste but (tempting though it is) you mustn't head down this but cut straight across to another narrow track which brings you out near the top of Mutteralm, giving you the choice of blue 1 or red 2 to head down to the village.
It's a nice run, if a little flat through the middle but a great way to get home after a day in Lizum and about 4x quicker than catching the bus!
snow conditions
Due to not being the driver, I ended up in Kappl today (I don't mind where we go generally, as long as there's snow at the end of it!). I've never been before, but it turned out to be a good shout despite the slightly longer drive, as there was a good 40cm fresh up the top. Pretty awesome, really Toofy Grin

My biggest regret was that I should've taken fatter skis, though I need the same ones for a night ski tour tomorrow and didn't want to swap the bindings twice (btw if anyone is around and wants to come along to the night ski tour, DM me and I'll send you the details. It's pretty easy and open to all).

My second biggest regret was that I was out with snowboarders so we couldn't take the high traverse as they couldn't hold the line rolling eyes Laughing

Fat skis are on for the weekend though Toofy Grin
latest report
I think it is fair to say that it is absolutely dumping down right now. Snow line is around 700-800m, so I got rather wet walking through the village. Blasting still going on at Nordkette. Not sure if it will open today (there is a notice on the website, but the text isn't showing for me) as it's already 10.15. Most lifts at other areas open though.

Tomorrow and most of Sunday should be clear for a rather nice powdery weekend snowHead
latest report
Lots of snow yesterday evening, overnight, and still going here in Soelden - about 20 cm so far.

Reports say 40cm on glacier, 30cm on mountain elsewhere.
Restricted access due to ongoing grooming and safety works.
snow conditions
As @Scarlet says pouring with rain in the city and snowing hard a few hundred metres higher up. Should be lots of snow tomorrow - but with a rapidly rising freezing level and a whole lot of wind (slabs) today will be pretty touchy.

I buggered my back again yesterday working on backflips on a trampoline... Just muscular and the doc says easy skiing should be fine, but bloody painful. Hoping some mellow powder glacier skipping will work out tomorrow, but not convinced. Terrible timing anyway!
latest report
Hmm have Innsbruck residents not yet learnt to "work on backflips" safely away from the ski season?
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, rolling eyes I broke myself so that others don't have to. Call it a public service, if you like, but they clearly don't appreciate my efforts.

There may have been some virtual pointing and laughing wink
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Hmm have Innsbruck residents not yet learnt to "work on backflips" safely away from the ski season?

That has been pointed out Laughing

Annoying thing was they were actually working pretty well! Until the one that didn't, anyway.
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
Annoying thing was they were actually working pretty well! Until the one that didn't, anyway.

Yeah, I could say that too rolling eyes
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy