Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Innsbruck & Tirol 2018/19 Snow

Poster: A snowHead
@Scarlet, lovely, happy for everyone else to be on bikes and leave it empty. Toofy Grin

Good point on maybe staying in town, will weigh that against the difficulty of getting my husband out of bed in the morning to drive up there...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ElzP, I've skied there a fair bit in may and June. Obviously it tends to be pretty warm by then, so you can expect lovely spring snow during the day and slush later on. However I've always had more than a few powder days at that time of year too. May 11th is known as Eisheilligen ('Ice Saints Day') and often coincides with fresh snow...

May 1st:

30th June:

I can't really recomend anywhere to stay in Neustift, but there's a bunch of hotels, guest houses, pensions, etc up and down the whole valley. The Sport Hotel in Neustift has a lovely Wellness Area, but it's not the cheapest!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
More on the Ice Saints here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Saints Sadly there is no correlation at all between the weather and the relevant saints days.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@clarky999, those pictures are gorgeous, I'm not averse to slush either so sounds like a good mix. Will keep fingers crossed for Holy Snow on the 11th!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's been a fantastic week here in Ellmau, but raining in the town today. I'm trying to rustle up some enthusiasm to go up the Hartkaiser later, but it could be a soggy old day, so might pass on that and look forward to the end of season bash before I ski next.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Rain here in Innsbruck this morning too. Looks like it's just about turned to snow at Seegrube (1900m), the Nordkette mid station. On the bright side, should mean 5-10cm to freshen up the upper mountains for the weekend.

Some of the rivers (Brandenbergerache, Loisach) almost have enough water for kayaking too Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
First kayaking day of 2019 for me today, on the Brandenbergerache near Kramsach. Warm day but bloody freezing down in the gorge and knee deep snow on all the banks!

CRAZY traffic jam at the Zillertal turn off on the motorway on the back. Motorway moving just fine, but the exit lane was total gridlock and not moving at all.

Looks like there's been some great spring skiing too, and a lot of people taking advantage o the conditions to get into some bigger, steeper lines.

Starting to look like signs of the high pressure breaking down towards the end of the first week of March... One to keep an eye on.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Had the pleasure of spending an afternoon in Innsbruck yesterday on our way to Munich from the Arlberg (early start / late flight). Even managed to fit in a couple of hours at the WC ski jumping competition at Belsigen. Anyway, what a cracking location and setting. Very envious of those living there - the ability to go skiing / boarding at will is just the stuff of dreams.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We arrive on Innsbruck on Friday for a long weekend and wondering if any locals could recommend a ski/board rental shop walking distance to the train station /hotel Ibis. We have googled intersport but results are not very clear other thanwhat looks like a large sports store in a mall. Powder Institute website is down.

Many thanks
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Ozboy, Powder Institute is no more. Die Börse isn't too far, near the Triumphforte, and has a rental area downstairs. There is a second Intersport a few doors down from the one in the Kaufhaus, accessible from the street, but I'm not sure what the rental situation is there.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would recommend Die Boerse too - 5-10 min walk from the train station. I don't think (not 100% sure) either of the Intersports in town do rentals; I think just sales. Other option would be rent from one of the shops at the base of a resort. They all have one, but it would probably mean starting and finishing your trip at the same resort.

Powder Institute is finished, sadly with a pretty unsavoury ending. On a related note, I know someone in Innsbruck selling DPS skis (Lotus 124 I believe) for like €200 with bindings if anyone is interested...

BTW good skiing conditions in Kühtai last Sunday. Plenty of snow, bottom slopes softening nicely, clouds stopped the upper slopes transforming so they stayed quite firm.

Looks like fresh snow incoming Friday/over the weekend.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Scarlet, @clarky999, thank you... by coincidence I managed to find Die Boerse through google and spoken to them to confirm - but do appreciate the referral. We are probably going to head to St Anton on Saturday for the day and night (mainly for nostalgia of our younger days partying in the moose and and KK) and on Sunday head somewhere local to INN - what would you recommend in current conditions - we are onpiste orientated?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Ozboy, If it's snowing or windy, it's a good plan to check what's open first. This map shows most of the local areas: https://winter.intermaps.com/innsbruck

Patscherkofel and Axamer Lizum have trees if viz is bad and are both nice areas anyway. Trees at Schlick too. Kühtai or Stubai if you want lots of milage on a sunny day. Plenty of snow everywhere.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not my photo and not today, but this is pretty much what the city has been like over the past week. Bloody lovely, basically!

You can just about make out the top station of Nordkette on the ridgeline above the avi barriers too, and then the tracks coming down Seilbahnrinne.

snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@clarky999, That looks amazing.. Is Nordkette worth a visit as looks like its the easiest to get to?
snow conditions
@Ozboy, As piste skiers, probably not as there is limited piste skiing (the section under the chair is quite short and the lower section not officially open and blocked by fallen trees). Most of the impressive photos you see of skiers up there are taken from the top either off-piste on on the ski routes. There are no pistes down from the top station. If you get time to go up for a drink and to take in the view though, that might be worthwhile. Alternatively, you get a pretty similar view (albeit the other way up) from Patscherkofel, which I think would suit you better.
ski holidays
@Scarlet, Thanks for sharing the local knowledge
snow report
@Ozboy, as @Scarlet says v limited for piste skiing, but if you get into IBK early enough on Friday it might be worth heading up for 1-2 hours to get the legs back, and then a few beers at the bar/igloo as the sun sets. Unless its snowing, in which case maybe not worth it without the views.
latest report
clarky999 wrote:

Powder Institute is finished, sadly with a pretty unsavoury ending. On a related note, I know someone in Innsbruck selling DPS skis (Lotus 124 I believe) for like €200 with bindings if anyone is interested...

Hmm tempting - what length?

(Do not need more skis. Do not need more skis.)
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, I think somewhere in the high 180s/190 region
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, Lotus 124 Powderworks, 185cm. May not be available any more though, I'm not sure.
latest report
High pressure has broken! Raining in the city but snowing up top:

- Lizum: https://www.bergfex.com/innsbruck-nordkette/webcams/c487/
- Nordkette: https://www.bergfex.com/axamer-lizum/webcams/c127/
- Schlick: https://www.bergfex.com/schlick/webcams/c118/
- Stubai: https://www.bergfex.com/stubaier-gletscher/webcams/c8219/
ski holidays
Woohoo! It's not raining on the east of the city, but is on the west. I was up at Kühtai earlier and it turned to snow about 10km out (so FL at 1500m?) but snowing quite hard in the resort. Felt very quiet up there today, but I guess more people will turn up tomorrow. It needs to keep going for a while to freshen up off-piste and avoid the dreaded dust-on-crust though.
snow report
Currently rental faffing in Die Boarst - looks like a great store. Got some Faction Dictators 1.0 which I am told are good for current spring conditions. Day trip to St Anton tomorrow and something local on Sunday.
snow conditions
At Neustift - it's been mostly gloomy with some half-hearted rain.
Cloud base has dropped now and slightly heavier rain started.
Hopefully it'll mean snow up on the glacier.
snow report
Fabulous snow at Stubai, lots of untracked bits just off and between the pistes.
ski holidays
@Scamper, nice!
snow report
Went for a couple of laps at Nordkette this morning.

Pretty 'dreich' weather, clouds coming and going, and pretty flat light.

Around 15cms of new snow up top, but really heavy and wet, even up at Hafelekar. In some ways that was kind of a good thing though: buried/cushioned the bumps much better than expected, and I didn't feel the bottom all that often.

Shared the gondola with a local guy who was taking his (super friendly/cuddly) dog (short-haired Bernese Mountain Dog if anyone wants to know haha) for a rip - down the 35°+ slopes from Hafelekar. Impressive, and the dog was LOVING it!

Less snow and even denser below the mid-station, but smooth and untracked at least:

Meanwhile the run back to the base...

Actually, while it looks grim, wasn't toooo bad. 5cm of snow to smooth out the bumps, then nice firn and slush where it had rained yesterday. Still perfectly possible to ski to the bottom, but there are a couple of fallen trees to climb over.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 2-03-19 18:26; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was up at Axamer Lizum this afternoon. The top was frequently in heavy cloud, but visibility was fine a bit lower down. I skied a route that comes down under the train and it was better than expected – 15cm fresh on the top made the entrance way easier than usual and smoothed out the big moguls a bit. Then it was a thin fresh layer on top of hardpack for a bit, before hitting the softer sweet spot a little further down where I got a long section of really nice turns in before it went a bit manky. Not many people up there today, so not that many tracks even at 3pm. Rubbish for photos though.
latest report
i"m staying in mutters for a few days, i have 3 days skiing, one in mutters/gotzens, one in axamer lizum, and i need another one either schlick 2000 or igls, as i am relying on public transport how would i get to fulpmes or igls.
snow report
@compostcorner, Download the VVT Smartride app on your phone and it will give you the bus connections.
snow conditions
compostcorner wrote:
i"m staying in mutters for a few days, i have 3 days skiing, one in mutters/gotzens, one in axamer lizum, and i need another one either schlick 2000 or igls, as i am relying on public transport how would i get to fulpmes or igls.

The tram goes from Mutters to Schlick (Fulmpes).
It takes 30 mins and it's a lovely ride. It's then a 12 minute walk to the gondola/ski hire. Bit of a slog if carrying ski boots, fine if you're not.
There are free shuttle buses running fairly frequently.
snow report
thanks
ski holidays
@Scarlet, @clarky999, just returned home from our Innsbruck stag-do boys weekend and had a great time and thanks for your recommendations along the way. On Saturday we skiis St Anton where visibility was a bit dodgy and lots of bumps from the new snow (I enjoy spring bumps). We spent the morning in Rendl doing pistes and side pistes and the afternoon on the main mountain doing the log bumpy runs from the top of Kapall(?) down to Nasareinbahn.

Yesterday was a gem of a day - took the bus to Stubai Glacier... we were expecting a 40 mins
(Based in what locals told us) but journey and we were so wrong - journey took 90 mins but and done hung over. Well worth it when we got there. We all loved this area and the accessibility of easy / fun off-piste. The final 10k run to the very bottom was a bit of a drag.

We think this will become an annual trip.
snow report
Non skiing question. Is the Galway Bay the nearest bar to the Hauptbahnhof likely to be showing Premier League football? I assume it is but maybe some other places do too.
snow report
@munich_irish, https://www.thegalwaybay.com/en/live-sports-rugby-football-hurling-gaa
ski holidays
@nozawaonsen, have been there before, just wondered if there is anywhere else. I am planning to stop off on the way home from St Anton on Sunday evening to watch a football match (I know), the Galway Bay is 10 mins walk from the station so if there is somewhere nearer it would be easier though I would guess there isnt.
snow report
@munich_irish, I'm pretty sure some of the small Turkish bars at and around the train station (Cafe Bar Treffpunkt, can't think of names for the others) will have a TV with the football on, but tbh The Galway bay is probably the best option (and the best beer).
snow conditions
I'm due out on Friday and have been pleased to see that there has been some fresh snow in the area.
Has anyone been out in the last couple of days?
I think there is more due on Thursday, then a bit more on Friday for my first day, then Saturday looks clear.

This would be perfect.

How are the slopes at the moment, especially in Mutters/ Axamer Lizum, if anyone's been up there recently.

Many thanks.
snow report
@EdYarker, Schlick was great on Sunday. My parents are visiting so we were just cruising the pistes, but offpiste was 10-15cm of surprisingly (given the conditions at Nordkette on Saturday) fluffy powder. Lizum should be similar.

It rained in the city/snowed on the mountains again last night, so I'd guess another 10-15cm top up over ~1200m or so.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy